Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Okay people, after seeing just the two panels of X-Men issue 2, i really got a feeling our guy is on a true come up!
    Synch is definitely on the rise. I love the fact that he's not the "bright-eyed bushy tailed kid just happy to be on the Major team." Synch put his time in in The Vault and earned that spot. He's bringing them decades of technological genius and strategy once he really understands everyone's power he's gonna be a beast. Dare I say, he's being primed to be an Omega. And wait until Auntie Emma visits the treehouse and shows him things that only she knows.
    Mutant and Proud!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    To me the coolest and more unique part of his power was that it was the aura that got the power up, not Ev directly. So if he locked onto Colossus or Penance like in that image, he looked the same, but the aura got the powers. It looked less than stealing powers (like Rogue) and more like, I dunno, synching up with other mutants. This was quickly forgotten though, and even in Gen-X he would change appearance sometimes.
    Agree wholeheartedly. That's the way it should be, especially if we're talking about a power that Ev has adapted previously.

Plus, in a rock-paper-scissors type combat situation, it would be an advantage if his opponents didn't automatically know which powers he had synched until he started using the power. Having his appearance change to match the person that he's synched with is a tell that I think Ev could do without. But comics is a visual medium and I realize it's just better to show the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    I wonder if he could be his own circuit taking several powers in his aura.
    Ev should be the mutant God of Innovation. Seriously.

The powers should become more or less a permanent part of Ev's aura and ultimately take on his subconscious designs. Like a musical artist that samples from the masters before adding his own essence to it, ultimately making the musical piece his own.

Albeit with a twist.

I envision Ev's aura striving to attain a more complete/perfect version of itself. So it takes in some elements that it feels that it needs to achieve whatever "complete/perfect" means, while also discarding some elements that are either superfluous, superseded or simply unwanted.

The fun part of that dynamic could be that Ev and his aura wouldn't always be on the same page about what powers it needs to adapt. His aura would have veto powers. For example, say Hela happens along and Ev goes to sync up, but his aura is like, "Nope, we don't need all of that dark Asgardian necro-magic up in here!!!" So the sync fails and Ev would have to use some of his existing powers to work through that challenge. And Ev would need to meditate from time to time to take inventory and stay attuned with his own aura. Despite this one limitation, he'd still command a very extensive range of powers. Nothing like DC's Infinity Man, but pretty powerful nonetheless.

I'd also like to think that when we see Ev using a person's powers in ways that they haven't, the difference reflects what Ev contributes and not necessarily the unlocked potential that the original wielder has. Like that time when he borrowed Jono's powers and instantly knew how to fly. Well, as a writer I probably would have established that flight aspect was uniquely Ev. Jono would never be able to fly -- at least not the same way that Ev does, because he's missing the composite energies of the aura that make Synch's innovation possible. That "synch element". Some may argue difference without a distinction here, but it's important to me that Ev isn't just stealing powers. He's adapting, incorporating and innovating. The greater heights that he reaches are all him.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 07-08-2021 at 06:02 PM.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Okay people, after seeing just the two panels of X-Men issue 2, i really got a feeling our guy is on a true come up!
    Sounds promising! I'll give it another issue or two before I buy...literally and figuratively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Synch is definitely on the rise. I love the fact that he's not the "bright-eyed bushy tailed kid just happy to be on the Major team." Synch put his time in in The Vault and earned that spot. He's bringing them decades of technological genius and strategy once he really understands everyone's power he's gonna be a beast. Dare I say, he's being primed to be an Omega. And wait until Auntie Emma visits the treehouse and shows him things that only she knows.
    Agreed completely. I need an action figure immediately.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed completely. I need an action figure immediately.
    I need an action figure and a t-shirt.
    Mutant and Proud!

Yeah bruh I gotta give credit where it's due. While it's still early they're giving us what we been asking for with Synch. I'm VERY happy to say i'm fully on board with this book.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Sounds promising! I'll give it another issue or two before I buy...literally and figuratively speaking.
    He should be the breakout character of this run. His powers are highly useful and visually exciting. I think it could be his time.

I gotta say it's so refreshing to all the love and excitement for Synch this week. I can't put into words how much pride I feel seeing my favorite X-Man( and it feels so damn good to finally be able to call him that!) shine. We've hoped for this for so long and it's finally here. There's no limit for Ev's potential and to see that start to be realized is a dream come true.

The main reason I go so hard when it comes to Ev is he was the first comic character that truly spoke to me. I saw myself in Synch moreso than I could with T'Challa(whom I also love). I grew up as the straight A student that happened to live in the projects and from Synch's very first appearance I found a character I could truly identify with as a young black man.

Hoping to see more amazing moments for Synch and hell I hope this appreciation thread get a lot more traffic like the man deserves.

Ev is an excellent character that I always felt if written well, there's indeed no limit as you said. I love that some readers are enjoying him for the first time.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I gotta say it's so refreshing to all the love and excitement for Synch this week. I can't put into words how much pride I feel seeing my favorite X-Man( and it feels so damn good to finally be able to call him that!) shine. We've hoped for this for so long and it's finally here. There's no limit for Ev's potential and to see that start to be realized is a dream come true.

The main reason I go so hard when it comes to Ev is he was the first comic character that truly spoke to me. I saw myself in Synch moreso than I could with T'Challa(whom I also love). I grew up as the straight A student that happened to live in the projects and from Synch's very first appearance I found a character I could truly identify with as a young black man.

Hoping to see more amazing moments for Synch and hell I hope this appreciation thread get a lot more traffic like the man deserves.
    I agree with you so much. When Ev first appeared on the scene, I was like finally, a black male character that wasn't angry and that didn't have lighting powers (shout out to Static and Black Lighting though, no slight against them just saying). He was easygoing, lighthearted, smart, cool, came from a stable family environment and just likeable all around.. He was not a "stereotype". And at the time, there were very few characters of color that weren't. (which is why I also love Miles). I identified with Everett so much I had changed my handle here at CBR (back in the first server days from Minuteman Refugee to Da Synchster lol shout out to the old CBR X-Crew who remember )One thing I always enjoyed was his confidence and knowing who he was...even if it may have come off a little cocky, Ev was and is a humble and decent human being. It is past time that our boy got his due, and so glad that Krakoa happened as a vehicle to bring him back and into the limelight....now we just have to get a real GENX reunion going!
    AKA The Minutman Refugee aka Blaquesmith aka DaSynchster!

I think that you and Tre Styles hit on something big with your points. Everett represents the average black males the all of us are, but that so many in America just can't seem to understand. He is us! The gangsta, thug, and slummy dudes out there are just a very small percentage that social media, and American society wants to apply to all of us. I love that Synch is soo powerful but still so very human, and he's not perfect either. Just really taking all this in. Like you guys were saying not many can understand the depth of why a fictional character like Everett is needed and appreciated right now!!!!

I think that you and Tre Styles hit on something big with your points. Everett represents the average black males the all of us are, but that so many in America just can't seem to understand. He is us! The gangsta, thug, and slummy dudes out there are just a very small percentage that social media, and American society wants to apply to all of us. I love that Synch is soo powerful but still so very human, and he's not perfect either. Just really taking all this in. Like you guys were saying not many can understand the depth of why a fictional character like Everett is needed and appreciated right now!!!!
    100% on point with everything you said.

Astonishing Member

That is pretty nice.

One of the ironies of the X-Men is that they have one of the most diverse extended collections of characters around, yet have this bizarre glass ceiling because the majority of their non-white characters were created for the books about the younger characters. So, probably the first step to having more core X-Men teams that aren't just "white guy, white guy, white gal, blue guy and Storm" would be to move some of those characters up to the core book and actually treat them like competent grown-ups.

I had the same experience growing up. I was a straight A black male who lived in the "hood." I went to a high school for "mentally gifted" kids, so everyday leaving my neighborhood was like going to Xavier's or The Massachusett's Academy.
    And no matter what was happening around me (and I experienced some trauma), I was never the "angry black kid." I was angsty, but I was generally happy when i was reading comics or drawing. I loved poetry and rock music, so Synch spoke to me when there weren't many Black male characters like him.
    I think him being dead for so long and Miles Morales being so insanely popular (and Miles is cool as ****) stole a lot of the shine and potential of Ev. Hopefully now all of that will change. And I need them to meet because they're both in New York. Brooklyn is not that far from Manhattan and no reason why Miles and Everett shouldn't meet up. I will lose my freakin' mind if that ever happens.
    Mutant and Proud!

I had the same experience growing up. I was a straight A black male who lived in the "hood." I went to a high school for "mentally gifted" kids, so everyday leaving my neighborhood was like going to Xavier's or The Massachusett's Academy.
    And no matter what was happening around me (and I experienced some trauma), I was never the "angry black kid." I was angsty, but I was generally happy when i was reading comics or drawing. I loved poetry and rock music, so Synch spoke to me when there weren't many Black male characters like him.
    I think him being dead for so long and Miles Morales being so insanely popular (and Miles is cool as ****) stole a lot of the shine and potential of Ev. Hopefully now all of that will change. And I need them to meet because they're both in New York. Brooklyn is not that far from Manhattan and no reason why Miles and Everett shouldn't meet up. I will lose my freakin' mind if that ever happens.
    Definitely agree. The one thing I don't think the media and people outside the culture realize is that the same "thugs" that were out in the streets doing wrong wouldn't even let us do dirt even if we wanted to. I can't tell you the number of times I was told "go home school boy, this ain't for you" I didn't understand it when I was young but they saw my potential and wasn't going to let me mess up.

And yeah brother we definitely need to see Ev and Miles link up.