Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Stan Lee, JMS, Slott
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Stan Lee
    Gerry Conway
    Len Wein

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Brought this to the Spider-Man section having read the one in Batman by LastSonOfShaolin.

Mine:

1. Stan Lee. Only choice for my #1. Classic Spider-Man, nothing better.

2. Brian Michael Bendis solely for Ultimate Spider-Man. Couldn't warm to his 616 Spidey.

3. Joseph Michael Straczynski. Surprised I've included him as he wrote the two worst Spider-Man stories ever in One More Days and Sins Past but I can't look past Coming Home, The Conversation and Doomed Affairs.

You?
    1. David Michelinie
    2.Paul Jenkins
    3.JMS and Dan Slott tied

Lee, Ditko and Romita - if you consider an artist a writing contributor, which I do.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Hard go this one...

Lee
    Slott
    Michelinie

Alternate: Bendis

Astonishing Member

Didn't expect Slott frequently showing up as he's divisive like JMS. Slott's had some highs with me but I hated TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4). Time for Slott to go was after The Superior Spider-Man ended in 2014.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Didn't expect Slott frequently showing up as he's divisive like JMS. Slott's had some highs with me but I hated TASM (Vol. 3) and TASM (Vol. 4). Time for Slott to go was after The Superior Spider-Man ended in 2014.
    Well the title is "top 3 writers you think of" and not "top 3 best writers". That's not the same thing.

Slott wrote the most Spider-Man comics of any writer and sat on the title for 10 years like that thing on a rug that sticks there so long that you can't think of the rug without it. So yeah he would show up regularly in a "off the top of my head" discussion.

Stan Lee, Roger Stern, Dan Slott

I get the intellectual argument for considering Ditko/ Lee as a separate writer from Stan Lee, and I might rate DeMatteis and Bendis above Slott, but these are the first three who come to mind.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Stan Lee, Roger Stern, Dan Slott

I get the intellectual argument for considering Ditko/ Lee as a separate writer from Stan Lee, and I might rate DeMatteis and Bendis above Slott, but these are the first three who come to mind.
    Wait you actually read Slott and JMD and Bendis and rate Slott above them?!
    Never mind the stories or plots, that's completely subjective and up to personal taste...but quality wise, as writers...there not even in the same planet.

Dialogue, themes, characterisation, basic grasp of how a woman speaks or acts, basic concept or how romance works...how to write a good story as in beginning, middle and end?
    Im sorry I really don't want to goad you into a discussion, it's just that it baffles me...Slott always came across as a not so good fan fiction writer compared to almost every spidey writer.
    Last edited by Noronha; 04-03-2021 at 08:32 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    Dialogue, themes, characterisation, basic grasp of how a woman speaks or acts, basic concept or how romance works...how to write a good story as in beginning, middle and end?
    On that basis even Stan Lee would measure below others, lol. And yet you can't argue that he's the name that pops up when you think of Spider-Man.

In terms of "Dialogue, themes, characterisation, basic grasp of how a woman speaks or acts, basic concept or how romance works...how to write a good story as in beginning, middle and end" Gerry Conway, Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, David Michelinie, JMD, Bill Mantlo, JMS, Paul Jenkins, Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky all rank above Stan Lee (and Dan Slott). Even Leah Williams and Jody Houser does.

I recently have been reading Jack Kirby's '70s stuff and there's this famous article of belief that Kirby wasn't a good writer like Lee but reading THE ETERNALS where you have intricate character dynamics and interesting dialogue that makes characters ambiguous, interesting, and sexy, proves otherwise. And Kirby wrote the hell out of the relationship between Big Barda and Scott Free in MISTER MIRACLE proving that he's a better writer than Stan Lee too.

Im sorry I really don't want to goad you into a discussion, it's just that it baffles me...Slott always came across as a not so good fan fiction writer compared to almost every spidey writer.
    Dan Slott said that his aim was to write like Stan Lee and it's a case of succeeding too well.

Wait you actually read Slott and JMD and Bendis and rate Slott above them?!
    Never mind the stories or plots, that's completely subjective and up to someone personal taste...but quality wise, as writers...there not even in the same planet.

I said I might rate Bendis and DeMatteis above Slott.

That said, I do really like Slott's work.

If you want to read what's been said about Slott's run, there are a few threads on that topic.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ighlight=Slott
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-03-2021 at 08:03 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Stan Lee, Roger Stern, and JMS
    If I had to consider the Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita runs as practically separate runs, my top three would be Lee/Ditko, Rogern Stern, and JMS.

Lee/Romita and Bendis would be in my fourth and fifth place, respectively, if we were doing top five's.

Spectacular Member

I said I might rate Bendis and DeMatteis above Slott.

That said, I do really like Slott's work.

If you want to read what's been said about Slott's run, there are a few threads on that topic.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ighlight=Slott

Thanks but I was baffled because it was you, not that other people rate it highly. I remember back in the day when you went by Cyberman that although we never agreed much I always rated your opinion highly.

Never thought you'd rate Slottīs run at all.

I really don't care what other people think of Slottīs run, because Iīm never going to change mine and I don't want to change theirs, heīs the one writer that made completely quit Spider-Man. I personally rate him as the worst SM writer ever and the one that did most damage to the character (equal terms with Quesada and Brevoot).
    Last edited by Noronha; 04-03-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks but I was baffled because it was you, not that other people rate it highly. I remember back in the day when you went by Cyberman that although we never agreed much I always rated your opinion highly.

Never thought you'd rate Slottīs run at all.
    I've consistently liked his work.

I was a fan of his Spider-Man/ Human Torch, and the various Spider-Man guest appearances before he was on Brand New Day. He was one of my favorite Brand New Day writers. I really enjoyed his Big Time, and Superior Spider-Man runs, and much of the Parker Industries era.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

I've consistently liked his work.

I was a fan of his Spider-Man/ Human Torch, and the various Spider-Man guest appearances before he was on Brand New Day. He was one of my favorite Brand New Day writers. I really enjoyed his Big Time, and Superior Spider-Man runs, and much of the Parker Industries era.
    Ok, that's cool, never thought you would but it's cool