Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    oh yeah that's the hard part to swallow about a world with giant animals and a literal hollow Earth, and the 150 ton figure is from the 1973 version, the modern version was over three times taller
    No, I know that the Hollow Earth nonsense is nonsense. But they don't need to make up bullshit to let us know that Zilla is tough. Call him 10K tons, 20K tons, That's all probably within reason. Calling him 160K tons is freaking nonsense. He has liquid blood based on water. They even show some crap stat on how much blood he has. He simply cannot be dense enough to mass 160K tons at his size.

I can suspend my disbelief pretty far. I do, when I read fiction, when I listen to my kids, when I discuss feats of fictional characters, when I tell myself I'll only have one more glass of whisky. But trying to show me a moving, breathing animal-y thing with liquid blood then trying to show me stupid nonsense that ignores what you have shown me just t make the numbers more impressive? Yeah, nah. Just not happening. I'm not saying the movie is bad, I'm not complaining that it exists, I just don't choose to accept certain things that simply don't make sense.

For example, are you trying to say that the 150 ton number, from the 1973 thing, somehow becomes over 100 THOUSAND tons when then animal becomes 3x taller? Nope, unless you explain how he ate a crap ton of tungsten, that doesn't work. I'd accept a thousand tons readily, even 10K tons if you want to play with all kinds of stuff. Hell, he's got big shoulders, let's say 15K tons! But over 100K? Please, it's just not a thing.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    No, I know that the Hollow Earth nonsense is nonsense. But they don't need to make up bullshit to let us know that Zilla is tough. Call him 10K tons, 20K tons, That's all probably within reason. Calling him 160K tons is freaking nonsense. He has liquid blood based on water. They even show some crap stat on how much blood he has. He simply cannot be dense enough to mass 160K tons at his size.

I can suspend my disbelief pretty far. I do, when I read fiction, when I listen to my kids, when I discuss feats of fictional characters, when I tell myself I'll only have one more glass of whisky. But trying to show me a moving, breathing animal-y thing with liquid blood then trying to show me stupid nonsense that ignores what you have shown me just t make the numbers more impressive? Yeah, nah. Just not happening. I'm not saying the movie is bad, I'm not complaining that it exists, I just don't choose to accept certain things that simply don't make sense.

For example, are you trying to say that the 150 ton number, from the 1973 thing, somehow becomes over 100 THOUSAND tons when then animal becomes 3x taller? Nope, unless you explain how he ate a crap ton of tungsten, that doesn't work. I'd accept a thousand tons readily, even 10K tons if you want to play with all kinds of stuff. Hell, he's got big shoulders, let's say 15K tons! But over 100K? Please, it's just not a thing.
    Again, read my previous comment on the 160k ton thing.

Its bogus. Popular Mechanics copy paste. Not even Legendary's official stats from many other sources. He is 98k tons.

Even the "blood volume" thing you are mentioning is a LITERAL lazy copy paste from that magazine from 2014. Lazy and silly.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Again, read my previous comment on the 160k ton thing.

Its bogus. Popular Mechanics copy paste. Not even Legendary's official stats from many other sources. He is 98k tons.

Even the "blood volume" thing you are mentioning is a LITERAL lazy copy paste from that magazine from 2014. Lazy and silly.
    Yup, they had no reason to do that.

Even 98K tons though is crazy. Around minute 40, Kong jumps from the cargo ship probably 500 meters or more to a destroyer, hops off of that another 500 yards or so to what looks like a marine landing ship. He lands on it. He causes some damage to the surface and crushes a jet, and displaces a chunk of water, but him weighing anything close to Zilla (which he definitely does, based on the fights) means that neither him nor Zilla are anything CLOSE to 100K tons. That's significantly more than the displacement than any ship in the navy except the Ford, and even THAT ship would be broken literally in half by a 100K monkey landing amidships.

Even 98K tons is way out of line for these guys, methinks.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

You know what, let's even call it a carrier. It looks more like one on repeated views, even though it's way too small compared to the destroyer that Kong uses to jump to it.

Right after that, Kong is standing on it. Zilla climbs onto it to brawl Kong. 200K tons of extra mass would just sink it directly. So no FEATS show that they are close to that mass. Big? Hell yes. 100K tons? No way in hell, based on feats.

A U.S. aircraft carrier is about 100,000 tons. 150 tons is like ten to fifteen army trucks. Monsterverse Kong strikes me as closer the the carrier's weight than the trucks given his fight with Godzilla upon one, though lighter.

That said, I don't think we should rely too much on published numbers here compared to on-screen feats. Gypsy Danger handles like a giant robot of about comparable size to Kong, but with less physical ability and more dakka.

By the way - I don't want to make it seem like I'm complaining about the movie. Despite the stupid parts - and there are a lot, it's a Monsterverse movie - the movie is mostly a fun romp and the monster fights are mostly awesome. The animators knocked the ball out of the park with Kong, especially. He looks as real as a 300 foot tall ape can look. He legit feels smart, caring, confused, scared, angry - everything he's supposed to. And it's impossible not to feel good when Zilla and Kong tag team Mecha.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    A U.S. aircraft carrier is about 100,000 tons. 150 tons is like ten to fifteen army trucks. Monsterverse Kong strikes me as closer the the carrier's weight than the trucks given his fight with Godzilla upon one, though lighter.

That said, I don't think we should rely too much on published numbers here compared to on-screen feats. Gypsy Danger handles like a giant robot of about comparable size to Kong, but with less physical ability and more dakka.
    Yes, I made that point that a US aircraft carrier is about that displacement. And a 100K ton thing jumping 500 meters (like Kong does from the destroyer to the deck of the carrier-ish ship) would hit with MILLIONS of tons of force. This would break the carrier in half instantly. If it somehow didn't, it would sink it, again, instantly. Neither of those things happen.

Also, both Zilla and Kong climb on top of that ship and stand on it and fight. If they each weighed 100K tons, it would instantly sink - vessels with 100K ton displacements don't float when loaded to 300K tons.

Kong climbs multiple buildings in Hong Kong. No buildings are surviving 100K tons of extra load. No way in hell. Kong jumps and lands on or swings from some of these buildings, massively multiplying the force. Still those buildings survive.

Every single thing in the film is telling us that they weigh SIGNIFICANTLY less than 100K tons each. That is a silly made up number that has no reason for existing and makes no sense at all, based on how big they are and what they do.

Ultimate Member

While you guys are analyzing the weight of Kong and Godzilla....... I'm still trying to wrap my head around Godzilla blowing a hole probably thousands of miles deep into hollow Earth and Kong climbing out of it in what looked like a few minutes.

EDIT: correction from Big Adventure on the Earth’s diameter.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-03-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    While you guys are analyzing the weight of Kong and Godzilla....... I'm still trying to wrap my head around Godzilla blowing a hole probably millions of miles deep into hollow Earth and Kong climbing out of it in what looked like a few minutes.
    The earth only has a diameter of 7 thousand miles, so "millions" seems a bit far. :-)

Ultimate Member

The earth only has a diameter of 7 thousand miles, so "millions" seems a bit far. :-)
    You’re right.

But even that, to cross that distance in a few minutes is something.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    You’re right.

But even that, to cross that distance in a few minutes is something.
    Yea, but they have some mumbo jumbo to sort of explain that: there is some kind of teleporting barrier between the surface and hollow Earth, which makes things move "2000 miles instantly" so most of that trip is that teleportation. It's why they needed their special magic ships to fly there. It's also maybe-kinda-sorta why they needed to follow a titan to get down there? They kinda glossed over that one.

Extraordinary Member

Yea, but they have some mumbo jumbo to sort of explain that: there is some kind of teleporting barrier between the surface and hollow Earth, which makes things move "2000 miles instantly" so most of that trip is that teleportation. It's why they needed their special magic ships to fly there. It's also maybe-kinda-sorta why they needed to follow a titan to get down there? They kinda glossed over that one.
    I think the idea was that they were looking for something specific and the Kaiju would be naturally drawn to it

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I think the idea was that they were looking for something specific and the Kaiju would be naturally drawn to it
    Which seems strange given their ability to map out hollow earth without ever having been there, their ability to detect energy sources when there, and of course their ability to... analyze a tiny extraction of rock containing a power source, transmit that data using magic (because radio isn't crossing thousands of miles of rock) to the surface, and then... being able to use that source of energy despite not actually having access to it at all.

Like I said above, the script and the details of the story were garbage, the CGI super monkey was by far the most human character in the film, but GIANT MONSTERS FIGHTING was pulled off to perfection, and that was enough.

Yeah once they hit Hollow Earth every thing should have been out of the window in terms of knowledge. Not only that but what the other plot was doing with the Godzilla trackers should have been in the dark.

But somehow they knew, and only for exposition to the audience, which I guess was why they were there.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie