Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would the Charlton Action Heroes have been better of at Marvel?

DC bought the Action Heroes back in ‘83.
    I was imagining Marvel getting them instead.

Which characters do you think would have done the best/worst, and how do you think they’d have been integrated, by which 80s creators?

Would any of them have made it into the MCU over the last 12 years?

Also, I have to wonder how different DC’s landscape might be.
    Alan Moore based his Watchmen characters on the Action Heroes.
    I can’t imagine the classic JLI book w. no Booster Gold and Blue Beetle friendship.
    Peacemaker wouldn’t be in the new Suicide Squad movie!

Marvel does not have Batman which means instead of running around as a second-string funny Batman, Blue Beetle would have a chance to cement himself as Marvel's "Batman". Captain Atom would be better via not having to share a universe with Superman. Plus the story of a Soldier who tragically got in an accident is right in Marvel's alley of stories I can easily see him doing better at Marvel he is mix of Captain America and Hulk.

I am biased toward Peter Cannon because I read a great book with him recently but I think him and most of the other character would only do decent at Marvel

I feel like Marvel already has characters who function similarly or the same to where they would still struggle to find a way to fit in.

Astonishing Member

Yes, only because of Jim Shooter. Everything the man touches is gold.

You could ask the Ultraverse characters. Or the Crossgen characters.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Marvel does not have Batman which means instead of running around as a second-string funny Batman, Blue Beetle would have a chance to cement himself as Marvel's "Batman". Captain Atom would be better via not having to share a universe with Superman. Plus the story of a Soldier who tragically got in an accident is right in Marvel's alley of stories I can easily see him doing better at Marvel he is mix of Captain America and Hulk.

I am biased toward Peter Cannon because I read a great book with him recently but I think him and most of the other character would only do decent at Marvel
    ^^^I think I read that same Peter Cannon book!
    Blue Beetle as a respected Marvel hero would be so interesting to me, personally. And the inevitable meeting w. Spider-man? Ditko Heaven. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Marvel already has characters who function similarly or the same to where they would still struggle to find a way to fit in.
    ^^^maybe if they were acquired now, yeah. But if they’d been around for the last 38 years, they might have wound up replacing characters who were created in that time frame.

People do realize the reason DC acquired them was because of Dick Giordano, who had been involved with that line of comic books when he was working for Charlton prior to working for DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    You could ask the Ultraverse characters. Or the Crossgen characters.
    ^^^i would ask them but, they don’t seem to be around to answer.
    This is just a thread on an MB, though. Just looking to see where ppl’s imaginations might go when discussing the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    People do realize the reason DC acquired them was because of Dick Giordano, who had been involved with that line of comic books when he was working for Charlton prior to working for DC?
    ^^^And again, this is just a thread on an MB.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Doesn't it also have a link with Steve Ditko also working for DC at the time Charlton was bought ? Because he wrote a lot for Charlton and created quite a few characters.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Doesn't it also have a link with Steve Ditko also working for DC at the time Charlton was bought ? Because he wrote a lot for Charlton and created quite a few characters.
    Ditko was working at Marvel for a nice chunk of the eighties, mostly on smaller projects...

...so, it would be interesting to see if he would’ve wanted to, or even been allowed, to tackle any of the Action Heroes back then if they’d ended up at Marvel!

Perhaps the Gold Key characters too.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Probably not because Marvel was becoming more crowded or cluttered as DC was. They would've disappeared into limbo.

Best case scenario was Shooter bought them and incorporated them into the Valiant Universe like he did with Gold Key.

Whelp, that was a quick conversation. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Perhaps the Gold Key characters too.
    Did they have any superheroes?

I think if Marvel acquired them back in the 80s instead of DC , they’d likely be established characters by now if not Avengers.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume