Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Could You Stick To A Single Triangle Era Superman Title?

How interconnected were the Triangle Era Superman titles? Could you read one title on their own and not the others with it mostly making sense?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    How interconnected were the Triangle Era Superman titles? Could you read one title on their own and not the others with it mostly making sense?
    There were times each book had its own storyline ,supporting cast members and niche within the line (mostly pre death of Superman), but in general,no. Particularly after the Death and Return Saga. There were a few exceptions over the years where there were self contained one issue and done stories and when plot threads had a "home" book,but they were very much intertwined.

Around 2000 or so they made an attempt to separate the books under the stewardship of Jeph Loeb,Joe Kelly ,Mark Shultz and Joe Casey and do more self contained to each book story while coming together every few months for a crossover, but even then it was hard to just stick to one book each month. They eventually took the triangle number off the books and separated the titles for good around 2003.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Astonishing Member

It would be like fast forwarding through a movie for five minutes every five minutes or so. At least concerning the major storylines.
    Last edited by The World; 04-02-2021 at 04:15 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Assuming the story wasn't exclusive to the title, most of the time you'd get some small recap or context oriented conversation. Especially if you were to keep reading that title

My entry into post Crisis Superman was #24-28 of volume 2 alongside Superboy #8 (Zero Hour) and some Conduit issue around the time the latter two were published. Overall it was a little hard to follow, but I was only about seven years old and hadn't ever heard of anything outside of what was shown in the movies or tv. Going back they're pretty easy to deal with just because I'm better at reading and have the internet.

My back issue collecting began with the Man of Steel#6 though, the one where he's with Mr Z and hooks up with that island native. It was fun enough that I kept going but it was kinda bittersweet to get the context actually, because it was so fun just to read it like a random adventure, silver age style.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It was fine, they did a pretty good job of catering for people not reading all the titles. You'd get a quick recap of anything you needed to know, and they'd break any larger stories down into smaller sub-streams that would go into each book (so all the Steel stories in Reign of the Supermen would be in the same book, all the 60s stories in the Dominus story would be in one title, e.t.c.) The coordination in the Superman office was generally very good to excellent.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I remember it being hard to understand what was happening if I missed even one triange issue when I was doing a 90s superman binge a few years ago.