Karl Kesel once mentioned that they would fax nearly final copies to each other in order for the stories to continue virtually seamlessly. That gives an idea of how tight they are but it also made the recaps at the beginning of the issues more efficient, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
The only way to collect it all is to go the floppy route. There's the Exile & Death/Return omnis, but tpb's are few and far between. They released a few that are long out of print (Time & Time Again, Eradication, Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite, a few others). A few other collections were started but abandoned after one volume (Superman Blue). Not a ton of love from DC for Triangle Era collections.

In 2019 I finished collecting every Post-Crisis Superman appearance between the end of the Exile Omnibus and the start of the Death/Return omnibus and had them custom bound. 6 large omni-sized hardcovers, and I love them. I was also able to slot in things like Armageddon 2001, Eclipso: The Darkness Within, and other appearances. Lots of fun to put together and it's the best way to have them in my opinion. A little expensive, but worth it for my favorite era.

Slowly working on Post-Death collecting with a plan to bind later. I'd say I have about half of the issues from the end of 'Return' through the end of the Triangle era. I'm thinking about continuing forward to Superman 200 for a stopping point.

As to the OP's question, I wouldn't recommend reading only 1 title. The Triangle era was, for all intents and purposes, a weekly Superman book that ran for like 12 years or something. You wouldn't read just every 4th issue of '52' or 'Batman Eternal', for instance. The creative teams on the super titles plotted everything together so closely that you can really only tell you've entered a new issue because the art changes. The writing, on the whole, is almost seamless. You pick up on pet characters eventually...Simonson and Bog used Keith a lot while others didn't, for example...but it's all very seamless. DC Infinite has a section where you can read by story arc, and they have the Triangle Era in 3 parts and the majority of it is in there, I think. For $7, it's a cheap way to get into it.
It sounds like Batman Eternal was one title though. At least if for some reason you were stuck with one Superman title (I was around the electric saga, because my parents would never subscribe and the grocery store only carried Superman) you'd catch a break every once in a while with an individual story.

Nice to hear that the digital library has updated, they were missing a lot of stuff when I used to look out of curiosity. But Superman back issues must have the best prices across the major characters. With the exception of maybe two or three trade collections (namely the Death of Superman omnibus and the Final Night event), a few special issues (Henshaw, Doomsday, Action #700, etc) and one shots (Forever, King of the world, etc) I pretty much got everything from Superman #23 to Man of Steel #89 for maybe a dollar per issue. The aging on floppies from the last 20-30 years really isn't bad if you find a decent seller and don't find them to be a hassle in the first place.