Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default How old were the New Teen Titans during the 80's by wolfman and perez

I was wondering, what were the ages of the cast like Robin, Wondergirl, Kid Flash, Cyborg, Starfire and Beast Boy? I know Robin became Nightwing too then and I assume since Terra was 15/16, Beast Boy was around the same age? The others look like young adults, so how old were they?

Yeah, Garfield was 16. Dick was 19 and I think the rest were around that age.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I always thought of them at about the 16-19 age range back then.
    The below is fairly informative...:

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/1...he-teen-titans

The original team was designed for young kids, usually in the pre-teen demographic, and those stories didn't necessarily stay topical for very long as the years marched on. As Wolfman explained, the New Teen Titans added to their staying power by upping the ages of its members.
    "One of the things I think was important was that the original Teen Titans all felt like they were 12 to 14,” he elaborated. “Our characters, for the most part, all were 17 to 19, and when you start with a point of view that the characters are that age, you're talking about people who back then could have been drafted. These 18- and 19-year-olds could have been drafted. That's when you get your car license. That's when you become an adult. You can get married, you can do all that stuff."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick went to college in December 69, disbanded the original TT in 1970-something, dropped out a month before NTT #1 was published.

He's 20 years old during Starfire's marriage in Tamaran. That was right around Crisis but the age was mentioned when he told Joey his back story in Secret Origins in 1987. After he arrived on Earth, he quit Titans so Donna recruited Robin Jason.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-02-2021 at 02:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Dick was 18 or 19 at the start of NTT
    He was 19 when he became Nightwing
    He had his 20s Birthday during COIE
    He was iirc roughly 22 by the end of the Run

The rest of the Fab5 (Wondergirl, Kid Flash, Aqualad and Speedy) are the same age as Dick.

I think Cyborg, Starfire and Raven where a year younger (but might also been the same age).

Beast Boy was only 15 at the start, and 16 around Crisis making him about 4 years younger than Dick (and 3 years older than Jason Todd).

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Garfield was 16. So was Terra. The other Titans were around 18.

From Zero Hour timeline.

From COIE. Dick’s age is given as 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Dick was 18 or 19 at the start of NTT
    He was 19 when he became Nightwing
    He had his 20s Birthday during COIE
    He was iirc roughly 22 by the end of the Run

The rest of the Fab5 (Wondergirl, Kid Flash, Aqualad and Speedy) are the same age as Dick.

I think Cyborg, Starfire and Raven where a year younger (but might also been the same age).

Beast Boy was only 15 at the start, and 16 around Crisis making him about 4 years younger than Dick (and 3 years older than Jason Todd).
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Garfield was 16. So was Terra. The other Titans were around 18.

From Zero Hour timeline.

Ah so it's true. Nice! Thank you for the pics!

"One of the things I think was important was that the original Teen Titans all felt like they were 12 to 14,”
    That always bugged the hell out of me, since they were obviously not that young in those stories - didn't remotely act so, IMO. They were all the 15+ to me in those stories in canonical age references of teh time and in attitude (I disregard height, as they were often ridiculously short compared to adult characters, but comics and cartoons just work that way). I really dislike Wolfman's making them younger in that era than they were - I'm just not fond of those sorts of retcons (always an issue in comics).

We saw Vic's 19th birthday, when Donna indicated she and Dick already were 19 in an early NTT story. Raven's age was slightly contradictory as the first time Arella talked about Trigon she said Raven's conception happened 20 years ago and the second time said 19 years ago, as I recall. But that could be rounding.

There was an issue where Gar was said to be 16.

I perceived Wally as a year younger than Dick and Donna, since he started college in 1978 and Dick started college in 1970.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Wally had his 20th birthday in the first issue of his run in Flash, so I always figured him to be 15-19 while a Teen Titan.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member

At some time during Wolfman's Baxter run, the name of the book was changed from New Teen Titans to just New Titans. Not sure if that happened with issue #50 or not, but I believe it was due to several members of the team no longer being teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I perceived Wally as a year younger than Dick and Donna, since he started college in 1978 and Dick started college in 1970.
    The Fab Five disbanded in Feb 78, and nearing the end Dick considered quitting Titans so he can focus on college.
    Then in NTT Wally said he's not joining Titans to focus on college, while Dick already dropped out.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Wally had his 20th birthday in the first issue of his run in Flash, so I always figured him to be 15-19 while a Teen Titan.
    That was March 87. Dick had his 20th birthday in Crisis. 85.

So it does sound like he is a year younger.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    At some time during Wolfman's Baxter run, the name of the book was changed from New Teen Titans to just New Titans. Not sure if that happened with issue #50 or not, but I believe it was due to several members of the team no longer being teenagers.

1988... oh yeah. Definitely.

tt.jpg
    This was early in the run.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    tt.jpg
    This was early in the run.
    I love how Terry Long WHO IS DATING A 19 YEAR OLD calls 19 year olds "children". Not big on self awareness there, are you, Marv!
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That always bugged the hell out of me, since they were obviously not that young in those stories - didn't remotely act so, IMO. They were all the 15+ to me in those stories in canonical age references of teh time and in attitude (I disregard height, as they were often ridiculously short compared to adult characters, but comics and cartoons just work that way). I really dislike Wolfman's making them younger in that era than they were - I'm just not fond of those sorts of retcons (always an issue in comics).
    That's similar to Dick becoming robin at age 8. it simply doesn't fit with the actual comics.

I don't know how the others were written in the books of their mentors, but Dick was written as being about 15 and in High School since the late 40s. He was defiantly not supposed to be 12 around the time the Teen Titans were created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    He had his 20th birthday in New Teen Titans Vol 2 #18/Secret Origins Vol 2 #13 set during COIE.