Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Preach it. Bilal falling out with Humanoids left us in a position with no recent English translations of his work. I think he's with Casterman now, which had an agreement with Archaia, but I'm not sure how the merger with BOOM! has effected its Euro comic translations. (I do know that Archaia/BOOM! has printed new editions of The Killer and the second volume of Alex Alice's Siegfried adaptation since the merger. Still waiting on my Secret History Omnibus, vol. 3.)

Also, the first two chapters of the "Beast" quartet were reprinted in English when Humanoids was working with DC. I don't know how much was censored, which was one of the problems with the arrangement at the time.
    I have two copies of The Dormant Beast: the Humanoids hardcover and the Humanoids/DC softcover trade that also includes December 32nd (it was the only way I could get Dec. 32nd). I don't recall there being too many differences between the two but now that you've brought it up, I'll go back and do a re-read at some point this week and cross-reference the two and see.

Speaking of much-needed translations, I also picked up Sra and Les Reparateurs, books 5 and 6 of Moebius's Gardens of Aedena epic in the French Casterman editions when they were released. I found a translation for Sra online, which I still have in hardcopy (let me know if you need it) and luckily Les Rep. is mostly wordless so my brutal French saw me through. At least now I know how that series concludes after 20+ years.

The list is done... 0_o

But I'm not entirely sure... I kind of feel like replacing Eternauta with "The Myths of Ctulhu", and GL/GA with Blacksad... What do you think, guys? What are the BIG flaws in the list, as of right now? What seminal, global, quality, works, are missing? ( shatner-isms!)

Not enough britbong on the list that could be fixed with The Best of Milligan & McCarthy.
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    The list is done... 0_o

But I'm not entirely sure... I kind of feel like replacing Eternauta with "The Myths of Ctulhu", and GL/GA with Blacksad... What do you think, guys? What are the BIG flaws in the list, as of right now? What seminal, global, quality, works, are missing? ( shatner-isms!)
    Depends on what the purpose of the list is.

Simply a list of favorite comics?
    A list of comics an art student should study while in art school?

Something else entirely?

I love Blacksad, but being a painted comic I didn't recommend it for a student who is going to focus on pencil and ink. It has layouts and perspective that can still be useful, but so do many pen and ink illustrated European comics where setting and context play a larger role and cinematic panel layouts are implemented.

Any of the Obscure Cities books by Schuiten and Peeters.

Extraordinary Member

Just make the list longer if you want to add more.

My suggestions would be:

-Frank Miller's 300 and Sin City
    -Bryan Hitch's Authority, JLA: Heaven's Ladder and The Ultimates Volume 1 & 2
    -Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows and Women books
    -Tim Sale's Daredevil: Yellow and Spider-Man: Blue
    -Geof Darrow's Hard Boiled
    -Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba's Daytripper
    -Niko Henrichon on Pride of Baghdad
    -Adrian Alphona on Runaways
    -Paulo Eleuteri Serpieri's Druuna
    -Empowered by Adam Warren
    -Battle Chasers by Joe Mad
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member

The list is done... 0_o

You're missing a Richard Corben, Neverwhere,Arabian Nights, or BloodStar should do. Also something from John Byrne would be good.

The point of the list is many-fold:

To show off the power and possibilities of the medium, on a global scale, beyond the cultural barriers, and to also show off the TRUE masters of the medium. The comics, and the creators, whose works it would be a CRIME to not take part of, if you have any interest at all in comics.

It's also meant to inform those that are newer students, about seminal great, great works, things they need to study, in order to understand the medium. I find that a lot of my fellow students are ILL, I repeat, ILL informed about the medium, as well as the possibilities it entails. If they are informed, it's often about merely one aspect, or one style of comic-book creation, if you like.

Basically, this list needs to be able to dazzle, to take the BREATH away from the newbies that read it. They need to know that sequential storytelling is bigger, better, STRONGER than they could even possibly imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Not enough britbong on the list that could be fixed with The Best of Milligan & McCarthy.
    I don't get it... what's Britbong? Is it just british comics in general? Like, Judge Dredd and 2000 AD? For some reason, the only things that come up on google, are Chav's, meme-jokes and... ALAN MOORE??

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You're missing a Richard Corben, Neverwhere,Arabian Nights, or BloodStar should do. Also something from John Byrne would be good.
    I'm thinking about adding him, definitely. But why not go with "Den" instead of the others mentioned? Isn't Den considered his master-piece, his life's work?

And I'm really in agony over this list... WHO do I remove to make way for Corben, or anybody else, for that matter??

The list is so damn GOOD already...! The only ones hanging lose, are Neal Adams GA/GL - but then the list would be without Adams, which would simply be lazy and uninformed.

But I don't feel like adding his Batman, because there's already Frank Miller Dark Knight on it, and then you don't need any other Batman. Adams most famous work is Batman tho', but I didn't want superfluousness on the list, so I chose GL/GA instead - since it did have a BIG impact on comics, even tho' it's not as well-known outside of afficionado's like us.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 08-27-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The point of the list is many-fold:

To show off the power and possibilities of the medium, on a global scale, beyond the cultural barriers, and to also show off the TRUE masters of the medium. The comics, and the creators, whose works it would be a CRIME to not take part of, if you have any interest at all in comics.

It's also meant to inform those that are newer students, about seminal great, great works, things they need to study, in order to understand the medium. I find that a lot of my fellow students are ILL, I repeat, ILL informed about the medium, as well as the possibilities it entails. If they are informed, it's often about merely one aspect, or one style of comic-book creation, if you like.

Basically, this list needs to be able to dazzle, to take the BREATH away from the newbies that read it. They need to know that sequential storytelling is bigger, better, STRONGER than they could even possibly imagine.

I don't get it... what's Britbong? Is it just british comics in general? Like, Judge Dredd and 2000 AD? For some reason, the only things that come up on google, are Chav's, meme-jokes and... ALAN MOORE??

I'm thinking about adding him, definitely. But why not go with "Den" instead of the others mentioned? Isn't Den considered his master-piece, his life's work?

And I'm really in agony over this list... WHO do I remove to make way for Corben, or anybody else, for that matter??

The list is so damn GOOD already...! The only ones hanging lose, are Neal Adams GA/GL - but then the list would be without Adams, which would simply be lazy and uninformed.

But I don't feel like adding his Batman, because there's already Frank Miller Dark Knight on it, and then you don't need any other Batman. Adams most famous work is Batman tho', but I didn't want superfluousness on the list, so I chose GL/GA instead - since it did have a BIG impact on comics, even tho' it's not as well-known outside of afficionado's like us.

Yeah Corben did two volumes of DEN in the 70s and 80s Nevewhere and Den 2 muvovum. Even though to some Bloodstar is considered the first graphic novel. Does it have to be a specific number of books why not just add what you need.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 08-27-2014 at 08:07 PM.

BANNED

Green Lantern by Gil Kane
    The Question by Denys Cowan
    Moonknight and Elektra by Sienkewics
    Nick Fury by Steranko (and his X-Men, and his adaption of Outland)
    Anything by Neal Adams from 1968 to 1980
    Fantastic Four by Kirby
    Silver Surfer by John Buscema (and his Avengers)
    The Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing
    Violent Cases by Gaiman
    Any work by Barry Windsor-Smith
    Anything by P. Craig Russell
    The 1970s work of Dave Cockrum
    Silver age material by Gene Colan
    Most 1950s EC horror books
    Swamp Thing by Bernie Wrightson
    Marshall Rogers' issues of Batman
    Judge Death(graphic novel) by Bolland
    Black Orchid mini series by Gaiman/McKean
    The original unexpurgated Brit version of V For Vendetta