Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What to Keep From the New 52?

Hey y'all,

As penance for the griping and whining I indulged in over the the "What Went Wrong With the New 52?" thread, I've decided to open the floor to a more positive question, namely:

What Ideas, Continuity Shifts, or Random Character Bits from the New 52 Should Be Kept Going Forward?

It's no secret that the New 52's continuity seems to be rapidly receding in the rear-view mirror, with some flavor of the post-Crisis DCU starting to form the dominant "history" of the DCU, and the so-called "Infinite Frontier" forming the basis for the present. But the New 52 had *some* good ideas that are worth weaving into the narrative, and it's worth a thread, I think, to stand up for them. So hey, let's accentuate the positive.

I'll throw out a few:
    Wallace West
    Even though having two characters with extremely similar (and old-fashioned) names is a mite confusing, I think having a dedicated African-American Kid Flash kicking around the DCU is an unalloyed good thing.

A Lot of the Aquaman World-Building
    Aquaman had built up an INSANE amount of continuity cruft in the decade before Flashpoint (Sub Diego, the "other" Arthur Curry, etc.). I'm pretty much on board with giving him a clean-ish slate. Also, his collar actually kind of worked.

Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad
    Granted, she's unkillable there, but you *know* that Ostrander would've used her if she'd been around and available in 1990.

The Anti-Monitor Being the Creator of the Mobius Chair
    That's simultaneously, dumb, silly, and brilliant. Anything that gives the Anti-Monitor more of a character than "Um, I eat Universes" is a good thing.

Young Steve Trevor
    I get why the post-Crisis reboot of Diana got rid of the "she went to Man's World because she was in luuuuuuuurve" aspect, but there were better ways to do it.

Okay, that's a few positives. Anyone else?

From what comes to mind this second I would keep the following:

1. Wallace West, Emiko, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Khalid Nassour. They are all new characters with ties to the dc universe and great stories who deserve to keep existing within the dc universe.

2. Multiversal Mister Terrific. I think it was a great boost for his character to make him this sci-fi adventurer/super genius who can travel in space or between dimensions.

3. Mother Box Cyborg. Makes him a big league hero and he deserves the ability to be a normal person if he so chooses.

4. Grayson, agent of spyral. The spy stuff was really cool.

5. Swamp Thing & Animal man. Great horror stories that deserve to stick around.

6. Harley x Ivy. I’m a genuine fan of Harley not having an abusive relationship anymore and finding something with her friend Pam.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Diana's god form when she takes off her bracelets

Extraordinary Member

Red Hood and the Outlaws: That take on Jason and Roy was imo far better than where those characters were directly before the reboot

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Superman's origin: This is probably my second favorite Superman origin. And it's a hell of a lot more stable than what they have now.

Power Girl and Huntress being from Earth 2: It's not perfect but it felt a lot closer to her roots than anything else done in the last 35 years.

Aquaman: Johns gets a lot of (deserved) crap for his handling of some characters but he literally saved Aquaman.

Wonder Woman's sword: I feel like it makes sense for her to carry one around. It just seems to fit her personality. I wouldn't mind that costume being at least part of her history.

Chin strap Flash: I know a lot of people hate it but he was the one character it worked on.

Justice League Dark: This was a great idea that's clearly carried over into today.

Steve Trevor being the JL's liaison to the government: I feel like they need one and he works perfectly.

Animal Man, I, Vampire, Jonah Hex, Static, basically giving a bunch of new concepts a chance they might not have otherwise had.
    Assassinate Putin!

Wonder Woman - Most of the God designs save for Ares (keep him with Perez's design for armored form and beefcake for unarmored form) and young Steve Trevor (granted this is restoring something from pre-Crisis).

Green Lantern - Jessica Cruz

All-New Member

Starling, Bunker, Jessica Cruz, Wallace West, Bluebird

Incredible Member

1) Aquaman, Cyborg, Green Arrow and Wonder Woman's new history and back-story
    2) A.R.G.U.S., and Steve being the League's liaison.
    3) Certain New Heroes and Villains from this era

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

All that I like they already keep

Tanya Spears
    Bunker
    Val-Zod

So maybe

Demon Knights
    Genderfluid Shining Knight

The hilarious parody of evil that is Crime Syndicate. They don't work as a protagonist... or Earth in the long term... because they're all so chaotic, but they make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Superman's origin: This is probably my second favorite Superman origin. And it's a hell of a lot more stable than what they have now.
    A lot of the origin elements are mixed up in my head. Which part is more stable than what?

Vyndktvx. Keep Vyndktvx. I don't know how you make another story with him that can top the one, but I like him.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-02-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Shay Veritas
    Baka the Monster Kid
    Aquaman - Johns run more than anything
    Superman origin, his time in the t-shirt and jeans

Astonishing Member

Phantom Stranger as Judas Iscariot
    Raven being Etrigan and Merlin’s aunt
    Diana being Cassie’s aunt

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post

Power Girl and Huntress being from Earth 2: It's not perfect but it felt a lot closer to her roots than anything else done in the last 35 years.

Aquaman: Johns gets a lot of (deserved) crap for his handling of some characters but he literally saved Aquaman.

Wonder Woman's sword: I feel like it makes sense for her to carry one around. It just seems to fit her personality. I wouldn't mind that costume being at least part of her history.

Chin strap Flash: I know a lot of people hate it but he was the one character it worked on.

Justice League Dark: This was a great idea that's clearly carried over into today.

Steve Trevor being the JL's liaison to the government: I feel like they need one and he works perfectly.

Animal Man, I, Vampire, Jonah Hex, Static, basically giving a bunch of new concepts a chance they might not have otherwise had.
    Agree with most of these. I’d keep the New 52 God designs from Azz WW (nothing else though), New 52 Supergirl since I enjoyed her adventures during that era especially when she was a Red Lantern, Jessica & Simon as GLs, and Tanya Spears Power Girl
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-07-2021 at 08:05 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

3. Mother Box Cyborg. Makes him a big league hero and he deserves the ability to be a normal person if he so chooses.

Precisely this. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post

5. Animal man. Great horror stories that deserve to stick around.
    I definitely wouldn't mind this either.
    Don't complain. Create.