Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why isn't this in a Superman movie yet?

There has been a number of Superman films so far. But if you think about it a bit, there's stuff which should have happened by now. But somehow hasn't.

Since, Godzilla vs Kong is out, i was watching some Kaiju stuff on Youtube, when i realized, how has Superman not fought giant robots so far? In comics they are like the go to villains, to show him doing Superman stuff. As far back as the Fleischer shorts, its clear that its epic as hell. I remember when as a kid, i saw Superman fight one in episode 3 of Superman TAS. As an introduction to Superman it was unforgettable.

Are they always trying to make him grounded? Or perhaps they had one in the Reeve films. I haven't watched Parts 3 and 4.

The second thing which seems obvious, but somehow has never been attempted is Krypto. I know Krypto doesn't do much in the comics. But come on. He's a dog! People seem to care for dogs then people nowadays. So much so, that if John Wick goes on a rampage to revenge his dog, its totally righteous and understandable. You have problems in making him feel human to the audience. The character feels distant. Easy peasy. Give him a dog. The comic book writers seem to have a handle on this. They went overboard with too many super pets. But on any given day Krypto makes a great addition to the Superman lore. I am pretty sure about 50% of complaints about Superman being unrelatable will be gone just by giving him Krypto.

What do you think? And is there something else which you think is pretty obvious? It should have happened. But somehow hasn't.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-02-2021 at 11:27 AM.

A pathological desire to be taken "seriously" probably factors into the giant robot thing. Mad Scientists building giant robots is probably not grounded enough to include and would be for kids.

Though they do have a live action Krypto in Titans. Though they haven't addressed if he's Superman's dog or something else. He was at Kadmus, so it's possible he's a clone hybrid like Conner is there.

BANNED

because warner / dc want superman to be boring, that's why he is a character who falls halfway through everything. he fights aliens but they look human, he fights to the death but he doesn't have a scratch .
    That is why you will never see brainiac or anything that looks more than human and in the case of krypto it will be a dog without powers.

Krypto on Titans has all Superman's powers. He's intelligent, has heat vision, and flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Krypto on Titans has all Superman's powers. He's intelligent, has heat vision, and flies.

The small screen has served Supes a lot better. More usage and deep dives into his lore, less pretentious thought pieces on his status as an icon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

On tv they have done better for the simple fact that there comes a time when they have told everything, that is why even the stories they do not like are told (warner / dc)
    . in cinema they have a more limited space and that is why they can only tell what they think belongs to the character and is not very childish.
    for dc superman only has lex and zod (because he is kryptonian, if not, either) the rest of the superman villains now belong to all dc, as for krypto it is very childish and that is why it will never be seen.
    If superman belonged to marvel, long ago we would have had a brainiac and mongul movie (war world is perfect for a movie) as for krypto (the most famous mascot in comics) would be one of the stars of the cinematographic universe.

Superman lives! was supposed to have a giant robot spider at some point. So had that film been completed, we could've seen more giant enemies on screen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    On tv they have done better for the simple fact that there comes a time when they have told everything, that is why even the stories they do not like are told (warner / dc)
    . in cinema they have a more limited space and that is why they can only tell what they think belongs to the character and is not very childish.
    for dc superman only has lex and zod (because he is kryptonian, if not, either) the rest of the superman villains now belong to all dc, as for krypto it is very childish and that is why it will never be seen.
    If superman belonged to marvel, long ago we would have had a brainiac and mongul movie (war world is perfect for a movie) as for krypto (the most famous mascot in comics) would be one of the stars of the cinematographic universe.
    Titans had Krypto yet also has cursing and blood. I don't think kids are watching that. So idk why DC can't even put Brainiac in a movie

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Because adults really don't want other adults to think something they like is inherently a little silly, which is itself infinitely more silly.

If I had my druthers, we'd see a lot more Krypto, robot smashing and Krypto smashing robots.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Krypto could easily be the next baby Yoda if DC plays their cards right.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Krypto could easily be the next baby Yoda if DC plays their cards right.
    They'd have to make the show actually be good for that to happen though...

Because how dare DCEU Superman be a fun character who loves dogs.

In all seriousness, I just don't think many people have thought about it. I know I haven't, and I love Krypto!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because adults really don't want other adults to think something they like is inherently a little silly, which is itself infinitely more silly.

If I had my druthers, we'd see a lot more Krypto, robot smashing and Krypto smashing robots.
    Yeah, some people are self conscious about stuff. Honestly, most of the best franchise are silly when you think about it.

They had Cuthulu cat in Captain Marvel, maybe that will help them change their minds.

Eh, I don't care - the live action films are too hit and miss, I'm much more comfortable with that upcoming Super Pets animated movie for Kyrpto, they don't fear delving into the "silly" elements for kids' stuff so it'll probably be a blast. Krypto's also been in a couple of their DTC Lego films, which frankly I always find that line to be a hoot. Would it be nice if they can do a fun loving Superman and a super man's best friend Krypto (see what I did there) in live action? Heck yeah it would. But I'll take animated appearances no problem.

Kind of hoping the movie inspires more appearances of Krypto in the books, maybe a couple graphic novels in their Kids line, which trickles into more animated adaptations.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Because how dare DCEU Superman be a fun character who loves dogs.

In all seriousness, I just don't think many people have thought about it. I know I haven't, and I love Krypto!

Yeah, some people are self conscious about stuff. Honestly, most of the best franchise are silly when you think about it.

They had Cuthulu cat in Captain Marvel, maybe that will help them change their minds.
    I liked Goose!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I don't care - the live action films are too hit and miss, I'm much more comfortable with that upcoming Super Pets animated movie for Kyrpto, they don't fear delving into the "silly" elements for kids' stuff so it'll probably be a blast. Krypto's also been in a couple of their DTC Lego films, which frankly I always find that line to be a hoot. Would it be nice if they can do a fun loving Superman and a super man's best friend Krypto (see what I did there) in live action? Heck yeah it would. But I'll take animated appearances no problem.

Kind of hoping the movie inspires more appearances of Krypto in the books, maybe a couple graphic novels in their Kids line, which trickles into more animated adaptations.
    I think the adults should also get "out there" stuff as well.

Extraordinary Member

Superman vs Titano on screen.