Incredible Member

Default David Ayers Suicide Squad

So I've been seeing fans campaigning for the Ayer cut of Suicide Squad. Personally, the original was a let down and there were alot of aspects of the film that I didn't like. However, I wasn't aware that there was a large amount of studio interference, similar to what Snyder encountered, that caused his movie to be butchered.

I looked up his filmography and saw he has a really good portfolio of work and now I am actually a bit more curious into what supposedly happened to Suicide Squad. Based on his prior films, I now find it hard to believe that he would've made the version we got.

To be clear I'm not on the releasetheayercut train yet as I don't know much about what happened and I think that the campaign is a losing battle because of the new James Gunn SS. I think that Ayer cut can only become reality if the new one isn't well received. If not well received, then there is a chance on HBO Max especially since I assume the budget to finish would be significantly lower compared to ZSJL and would be low risk investment technically.

What supposedly happened with Ayers Suicide Squad behind the scenes?

The company who cut the Trailer went back and edited the whole film IIRC. People loved the trailer so much WBs let them go back and edit the movie.

Astonishing Member

I don't think the Ayer cut is a lost cause. After James Gunn's Suicide Squad comes out, I can see the Ayer cut eventually being released. Its really no different from any other director's cut...not quiet like Zack Snyder's Justice League, which is virtually a whole different movie altogether!

The more I learn about the Snyder cut and Ayer cut, the more I understand just how bad a case of cold feet WB got in 2016, after BvS came out. That was a time when the MCU was probably at its peak in terms of dominating the discource around superhero films, so its no wonder that WB decided to get Suicide Squad recut to try to make it more like GOTG, and Justice League virtually remade to make it like the Avengers. Both efforts arguably failed (JL more than SS, IMO). After that we had Wonder Woman, which was was pretty close to being an MCU film, tonally and in terms of structure. Aquaman, even more so. Shazam! practically was a Disney movie.

Hell, I feel maybe it was only around 2019, after the MCU master-plan culminated with Endgame, and it felt like the MCU formula as we knew it had run its course, that WB felt like maybe they can finally move out of Marvel's shadow and do their own thing again. The success of Joker definitely helped.

BANNED

There is no need for the cut because the movie has moved on with Gunn's Sequel.

Ultimate Member

It was/is a lost cause based on how they let Deadshot/Will Smith and Harley crowd out the others, depicted Waller and decided that they should recreate the freakin' Enchantress arc without the characters that made it work.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    There is no need for the cut because the movie has moved on with Gunn's Sequel.
    By that logic there was no need for the Snyder cut, because WB had moved on from his vision.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    By that logic there was no need for the Snyder cut, because WB had moved on from his vision.
    I think the big difference is WB wasn't making a new JL but there is a new SS. Granted I'm curious to see how different ayers cut was from what we got.

In both cases though, I think WB was wrong to still put the directors names on something that they modified so heavily.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I think the big difference is WB wasn't making a new JL but there is a new SS. Granted I'm curious to see how different ayers cut was from what we got.

In both cases though, I think WB was wrong to still put the directors names on something that they modified so heavily.
    Actually, Snyder wasn't credited as the director of the theatrical cut of Justice League. Ayer was for Suicide Squad though.

Also, the Ayer cut would be a more conventional director's cut, as opposed to the Snyder cut which is virtually another movie. Its not as though releasing the Ayer cut will contradict anything in future Suicide Squad movies (by Gunn or anyone else) which are anyway only going to be loosely connected to the first one.

At this point, saying there's a problem with releasing the Ayer cut because Gunn is doing a new Suicide Squad movie would be the equivalent of saying that WB shouldn't have released the Donner Cut of Superman II because Singer was doing Superman Returns! (As I recall, they both released the same year...)

The film as I understand it is 100% shot. Basically it's just letting the guy edit the film, like they should have the first time, instead of giving the job to a trailer editing outfit right?
    I'd like to see it. Doubt we'll be so lucky, but I'd watch it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Actually, Snyder wasn't credited as the director of the theatrical cut of Justice League. Ayer was for Suicide Squad though.

Also, the Ayer cut would be a more conventional director's cut, as opposed to the Snyder cut which is virtually another movie. Its not as though releasing the Ayer cut will contradict anything in future Suicide Squad movies (by Gunn or anyone else) which are anyway only going to be loosely connected to the first one.

At this point, saying there's a problem with releasing the Ayer cut because Gunn is doing a new Suicide Squad movie would be the equivalent of saying that WB shouldn't have released the Donner Cut of Superman II because Singer was doing Superman Returns! (As I recall, they both released the same year...)
    I don't know if it would be a traditional directors cut. Ayers gave an interview recently and it sounds like a different movie imo:

https://ew.com/movies/david-ayer-cut-suicide-squad/

Joker being the primary villain makes more sense based on the scenes we saw with him and Harley.