Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    lmao marvel has had comic ratings since the early 2000s when they made X-Statix, with four tiers of ratings mirroring movie ratings of G/PG/PG-13/R. Usually it's under "T+" but sometimes solicited as 12+, it's nothing new, and really the only time its printed is if it was a Mature Audiences title(something like Immortal Hulk) or a MAX title. If youve been reading comics for the past 20 years there has always been a rating on it, you only decided to notice it now.
    Actually that is not it. Stuff like Punisher had ratings and disclaimers and to be honest that is not a bad thing. But too much of a good thing becomes bad, like disclaimers on The Muppets and most issues of Amazing is simply unnecessary. When a writer is afraid to write a comic, book, movie, play or song because someone might get pissed off, society as a whole loses. Movies like Blazing Saddles ( where the black sheriff was the hero) cannot be made anymore the way it was intended because some fringe group might oppose it. You cannot call a dog or a cat an animal or a pet, your must call them companions because PETA will be offended. That is why you get these disclaimers and warnings ( even when unnecessary).

Fantastic Member

Punisher MAX was the first to have ratings in the Punisher series in 2004. Prior to the X-Statix run i mentioned, Marvel was still honoring the CCA till early 00s when they started divvying their content to different levels to attract different writers with the onset of contemporary indie writers and books with mature content getting bigger. This is all very well documented!

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man(from 2002) has the same rating as this book being PG13, as do most of the MCU films. The way rating systems work is if it's mostly all ages but has realistic physical violence, as long as it's not explict, PG13 covers alotta bases. This topic is peak nothing burger to attempt to argue back on lol

Blazing Saddles was rated R in 1974 in contrast. They knew it was invented for a mature audience because it was a pastiche adult comedy of the western film genre craze of the time. Contemparies in present day to it would be things like Super(James Gunn's film), The Boys, and Invincible which are pastiche deconstructions of the superhero genre for a mature audience. These things still happen!
    Last edited by Kingkalamari; 04-03-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Punisher MAX was the first to have ratings in the Punisher series in 2004. Prior to the X-Statix run i mentioned, Marvel was still honoring the CCA till early 00s when they started divvying their content to different levels to attract different writers with the onset of contemporary indie writers and books with mature content getting bigger. This is all very well documented!

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man(from 2002) has the same rating as this book being PG13, as do most of the MCU films. The way rating systems work is if it's mostly all ages but has realistic physical violence, as long as it's not explict, PG13 covers alotta bases. This topic is peak nothing burger to attempt to argue back on lol

Blazing Saddles was rated R in 1974 in contrast. They knew it was invented for a mature audience because it was a pastiche adult comedy of the western film genre craze of the time. Contemparies in present day to it would be things like Super(James Gunn's film), The Boys, and Invincible which are pastiche deconstructions of the superhero genre for a mature audience. These things still happen!
    My point about Blazing Saddles is a film like that will not be written in 2021 the way it was written in 1974. Even Disney used to do R Rated films ( including a personal favorite Stakeout ( I always had the hots for Madeleine Stowe) under their Touchtone label). Now it is “Touchy feely” kind of stuff like musicals, Star Wars and MCU. I am
    afraid much of the stuff that you currently see ( including MJ in skimpy outfits) will be a thing of the past.

Pretty wild. And for me, completely confusing. I can't keep up with all the relationship tie-ins. Why does Kingpin own Ravencroft? So he can have a built in set of future henchmen as they get incarcerated?
    Spying on Osborn. Curious. that's going to likely not end well for someone.
    Harry is still in his Kindred mode but no clue as to how he made a deal with an occult force? Sheesh.
    Spider-Man and Boomerang (good guy-ish now) fighting a bunch of Maggia thugs. Oh, a new costume, given to him by someone else. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a technology demon or something. (or 'worse', by next year yet another spinoff spider-hero who gets to eclipse Peter..)

Astonishing Member

lmao marvel has had comic ratings since the early 2000s when they made X-Statix, with four tiers of ratings mirroring movie ratings of G/PG/PG-13/R. Usually it's under "T+" but sometimes solicited as 12+, it's nothing new, and really the only time its printed is if it was a Mature Audiences title(something like Immortal Hulk) or a MAX title. If youve been reading comics for the past 20 years there has always been a rating on it, you only decided to notice it now.
    Yes, I obviously remember those ratings. I’ve been reading comics for decades. But I also remember Spidey was an all-ages book back then. X-Statix and Punisher were super violent and occasional sexual content and of course deserved the high age rating. There’s nothing like that in today’s Spidey books. So it’s a silly comparison.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Pretty wild. And for me, completely confusing. I can't keep up with all the relationship tie-ins. Why does Kingpin own Ravencroft? So he can have a built in set of future henchmen as they get incarcerated?
    Spying on Osborn. Curious. that's going to likely not end well for someone.
    Harry is still in his Kindred mode but no clue as to how he made a deal with an occult force? Sheesh.
    Spider-Man and Boomerang (good guy-ish now) fighting a bunch of Maggia thugs. Oh, a new costume, given to him by someone else. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a technology demon or something. (or 'worse', by next year yet another spinoff spider-hero who gets to eclipse Peter..)
    Kingpin owns Ravencroft because he paid to have it rebuilt and re-staffed for his schemes, which you can see more details of in the Ruins of Ravencroft one-shots and the Ravencroft five-part limited series that followed those. Kingpin is also spying on Norman Osborn because he doesn't trust him to hold up his end of their bargain, given that Osborn is still cleansed of his sins and evil nature and wants to make amends for all he's done, to Harry and others (like Peter/Spider-Man and those close to him). Harry was dead and in hell for all the crap he pulled, so plenty of room for him to have made a deal with Mephisto or someone like that so he could come back to some form of life and f*** with Peter again. Spider-Man's new suit isn't likely to be a tech-demon, but it is probably secretly sourced from the Chameleon, who is Norah Winters's secret partner and backer in Threats and Menaces and will be the villain of the next arc, Chameleon Conspiracy.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yes, I obviously remember those ratings. I’ve been reading comics for decades. But I also remember Spidey was an all-ages book back then. X-Statix and Punisher were super violent and occasional sexual content and of course deserved the high age rating. There’s nothing like that in today’s Spidey books. So it’s a silly comparison.
    You're missing my point. Prior to those titles in the early 00s, Marvel was across the board all ages following the CCA. Around the launch of their mature titles like X-Statix and MAX, they began to categorize their content based on ratings that mirrored the MPAA rating system. Since this, alotta spidey has been rated 12+ based on the content, but youd never notice because it always in either solicits or fine print. All the live action Spidey movies have been rated PG13 which is the contemporary rating to what Marvel gives ASM, which is 12+. PG13 is perfect for the medium because it lets the writers tell a Spidey story that appeals to both older and younger audiences.

Mighty Member

I'm sorry but who gives a damn about the rating? No one is going to notice, and if you do, you won't care.
    Comics have been doing this since forever, it was a way to get rid of the CCA and just have internal ratings. Unless it's rated M, there's no issue with letting someone who is 8 read these books.

Also, I'm sorry to say, but also cancelling a service because of an age rating is also silly.
    Nearly every piece of media has an age rating. Remember the Parental Advisory on CDs? Yeah, it's still a thing but you don't notice it because no one really cares any more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I'm sorry but who gives a damn about the rating? No one is going to notice, and if you do, you won't care.
    Comics have been doing this since forever, it was a way to get rid of the CCA and just have internal ratings. Unless it's rated M, there's no issue with letting someone who is 8 read these books.

Also, I'm sorry to say, but also cancelling a service because of an age rating is also silly.
    Nearly every piece of media has an age rating. Remember the Parental Advisory on CDs? Yeah, it's still a thing but you don't notice it because no one really cares any more.
    I canceled Disney Plus not because of an age rating, but because most of their stuff is not even PG but PC ( as In Politically Correct). I see the day coming when even Amazing ( which is certainly more “Kid Friendly” then Punisher Max or Gay Captain America), has disclaimers warning of violence, sexual themes, language, smoking and drinking slapped on it. Why? Because they do not want to offend some group. I mentioned before writers cannot even use the term “Animal” when talking about cats and dogs because PETA ( People For The Ethical Treatment Of Animals will be offended. You must use “Companion.” Although for 99% of the population a dog or cat is not their companion ( and in my case a woman is ( unlike the crazy cat lady)).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I canceled Disney Plus not because of an age rating, but because most of their stuff is not even PG but PC ( as In Politically Correct). I see the day coming when even Amazing ( which is certainly more “Kid Friendly” then Punisher Max or Gay Captain America), has disclaimers warning of violence, sexual themes, language, smoking and drinking slapped on it. Why? Because they do not want to offend some group. I mentioned before writers cannot even use the term “Animal” when talking about cats and dogs because PETA ( People For The Ethical Treatment Of Animals will be offended. You must use “Companion.” Although for 99% of the population a dog or cat is not their companion ( and in my case a woman is ( unlike the crazy cat lady)).
    I'm sorry, but this is the weirdest thing to complain about. Like you sound more offended at the idea of a disclaimer. I'm sorry but if that effects you, you need to grow up.
    What in Earth are you talking about they can't use the word animal because of PETA? PETA is considered a joke by most of the population.
    Also, what isn't child friendly about gay Captain America, I thought that was marketed to kids who are younger than Spider-man?
    Like... I don't get your argument. You're upset that Marvel may have an arbitrary rating on their system which doesn't affect you or anyone you know?

You know if most Parents saw their kid wanted a Spider-man comic, they would just buy it for them?
    Even so, there's already a Peter Parker Spider-man comic aimed at younger kids.
    Let's say you were the Dad to an 8 year kid and he wanted a Spider-man comic, I'm sure you're going to just buy it for him regardless of age.

I don't get your argument...

Well, I'm ready.
    Bring it on Spencer.

Astonishing Member

I'm sorry, but this is the weirdest thing to complain about. Like you sound more offended at the idea of a disclaimer. I'm sorry but if that effects you, you need to grow up.
    What in Earth are you talking about they can't use the word animal because of PETA? PETA is considered a joke by most of the population.
    Also, what isn't child friendly about gay Captain America, I thought that was marketed to kids who are younger than Spider-man?
    Like... I don't get your argument. You're upset that Marvel may have an arbitrary rating on their system which doesn't affect you or anyone you know?

You know if most Parents saw their kid wanted a Spider-man comic, they would just buy it for them?
    Even so, there's already a Peter Parker Spider-man comic aimed at younger kids.
    Let's say you were the Dad to an 8 year kid and he wanted a Spider-man comic, I'm sure you're going to just buy it for him regardless of age.

I don't get your argument...
    PETA is sad to say is no joke. They have a representative on all movies or TV shows involving animals Also they played a large role in Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus going out of business. Pressure groups ( similar to PETA) are also pushing the end of Pronouns like He and She. Books like Dr. Seuss are considered “Racist” by an extremely small minority, yet they are being removed from library shelves. English Majors at universities are actually demanding Shakespeare be removed from their school libraries. There is little doubt that the “Thought Police” will be coming after Amazing and the disclaimers are just the start.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    PETA is sad to say is no joke. They have a representative on all movies or TV shows involving animals Also they played a large role in Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus going out of business. Pressure groups ( similar to PETA) are also pushing the end of Pronouns like He and She. Books like Dr. Seuss are considered “Racist” by an extremely small minority, yet they are being removed from library shelves. English Majors at universities are actually demanding Shakespeare be removed from their school libraries. There is little doubt that the “Thought Police” will be coming after Amazing and the disclaimers are just the start.
    First they came from the Dr Seuss books and I didn't speak out because I'm not a Dr Seuss book.
    Then they came for the Spider-man books and I didn't speak out because I'm not a Spider-man book.

Okay, so those are Dr Seuss books that have just stopped being in print. It was a choice made by the Dr Seuss estate as they feel that those books those represent the values that the other books have. Also, they weren't exactly popular books to begin with.

Also, if an actual animal is in danger and the circus is breaking regulations so they can put on a show. Jesus yes, shut the Circus down. What you just want to an animal to be put in harm's way for your entertainment? Are you fucking crazy?

Also, English Majors aren't removing Shakespeare, they are dropping it as a requirement which honestly, I'm okay with. I don't get this whole idea of "They're cancelling Shakespeare" when they aren't, People can easily study his works if they want to. No one is getting upset at 500+ year stories. In fact, a lot of People like Shakespeare and do indeed want to study it. But also, take it from someone who is English and has lived fairly close to where he was born and has done Shakespeare in drama, his stuff isn't the most interesting or even important works of all time.

Also, no one is trying to take your pronouns away, People just want more inclusion for non-binary People.

I don't know if you're just overreacting to nothing issues or your own prejudices are soaking through. But you should really know that this information is incredibly easy to find. Unless Google is in on the conspiracy on taking away my unknown Dr Seuss books which have been in print longer than I've been alive and can buy for pennies online.

Amazing Member

I hope we get some sort of update on Carlie.

Astonishing Member

First they came from the Dr Seuss books and I didn't speak out because I'm not a Dr Seuss book.
    Then they came for the Spider-man books and I didn't speak out because I'm not a Spider-man book.

Okay, so those are Dr Seuss books that have just stopped being in print. It was a choice made by the Dr Seuss estate as they feel that those books those represent the values that the other books have. Also, they weren't exactly popular books to begin with.

Also, if an actual animal is in danger and the circus is breaking regulations so they can put on a show. Jesus yes, shut the Circus down. What you just want to an animal to be put in harm's way for your entertainment? Are you fucking crazy?

Also, English Majors aren't removing Shakespeare, they are dropping it as a requirement which honestly, I'm okay with. I don't get this whole idea of "They're cancelling Shakespeare" when they aren't, People can easily study his works if they want to. No one is getting upset at 500+ year stories. In fact, a lot of People like Shakespeare and do indeed want to study it. But also, take it from someone who is English and has lived fairly close to where he was born and has done Shakespeare in drama, his stuff isn't the most interesting or even important works of all time.

Also, no one is trying to take your pronouns away, People just want more inclusion for non-binary People.

I don't know if you're just overreacting to nothing issues or your own prejudices are soaking through. But you should really know that this information is incredibly easy to find. Unless Google is in on the conspiracy on taking away my unknown Dr Seuss books which have been in print longer than I've been alive and can buy for pennies online.
    We can agree to disagree and see what happens going forward