Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Batman v Superman without Doomsday.

Would anyone else have loved to have seen this film end after Batman stops himself for killing Superman and saved his mum?

I wish the movie had ended when Batman and Superman came to an understanding for and of each other, I did not feel as if there was a need for Doomsday outside for the the modern reception of comic films....that there needs to be a big final fight in the end, Honestly Batman rescuing Martha Kent was the perfect last battle the film needed

People don't know this but this film was so political charged and Snyder was doing well with the drama aspect of the movie to the point some on the action comedy side of comic films thought it was depressing.

I really wished Snyder had left doomsday out. not to mention Doomsday felt random and did not really bring anything to the story of Batman and Superman. if there is a main flaw if this film, that would be the number 1.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-03-2021 at 01:17 AM.

If the point of the story was to have Superman die at the end, Doomsday is kind of necessary. What you’re asking for is a different movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Would anyone else have loved to have seen this film end after Batman stops himself for killing Superman and saved his mum?

I wish the movie had ended when Batman and Superman came to an understanding for and of each other, I did not feel as if there was a need for Doomsday outside for the the modern reception of comic films....that there needs to be a big final fight in the end, Honestly Batman rescuing Martha Kent was the perfect last battle the film needed

People don't know this but this film was so political charged and Snyder was doing well with the drama aspect of the movie to the point some on the action comedy side of comic films thought it was depressing.

I really wished Snyder had left doomsday out. not to mention Doomsday felt random and did not really bring anything to the story of Batman and Superman. if there is a main flaw if this film, that would be the number 1.
    Yeah, I kinda get what you mean.

I recently rewatched BvS, and I did get the impression that, on some level, it felt more like a conspiracy thriller/neo-noir film set in a superhero world than a conventional 'superhero' movie.

But I feel Doomsday does fit into this narrative nonetheless, because a conspiracy thriller set in the DCU would naturally involve some kind of doomsday weapon (pun intended!) being unleashed in the last act.

Also, if the sole purpose of BvS was showing Batman and Superman meeting and to explore Superman's place in the world, I'd agree that Doomsday might be dispensable. But BvS was ultimately also a set-up for the Justice League movies (so was Wonder Woman's presence, and the Knightmare).

In any case, I do feel a film like this would have needed some kind of physical threat for the heroes to deal with. It could have been an armored Lex Luthor for all we know.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I kinda get what you mean.

I recently rewatched BvS, and I did get the impression that, on some level, it felt more like a conspiracy thriller/neo-noir film set in a superhero world than a conventional 'superhero' movie.

But I feel Doomsday does fit into this narrative nonetheless, because a conspiracy thriller set in the DCU would naturally involve some kind of doomsday weapon (pun intended!) being unleashed in the last act.

Also, if the sole purpose of BvS was showing Batman and Superman meeting and to explore Superman's place in the world, I'd agree that Doomsday might be dispensable. But BvS was ultimately also a set-up for the Justice League movies (so was Wonder Woman's presence, and the Knightmare).

In any case, I do feel a film like this would have needed some kind of physical threat for the heroes to deal with. It could have been an armored Lex Luthor for all we know.
    Doomsday fits in the story in an expected comic bookie way but you know Snyder was really going for a more grounded political film, if he had the baton on a race relay, it felt as if he dropped it a by bringing in doomsday.

Now I remember there were some fans concerns in 2016 when the second trailer came out and people saw doomsday and were sort of worried, many fans felt the second trailer was a step down from the first trailer that was amazing because the first trailer sold the drama driven aspect of the film the best and the new additions of Doomsday hurt that. I think fans were sort of right to worry about what doomsday was going to become in the film.

Not the biggest Grace Randolph fan but even she had to address the issue that doomsday addition divided the fan base.

Now I look back after 5 years and with the Snyder Cut that showed how you can handle Darkseid while not handling him. I would have wished Doomsday was cut out in BvS

You could've used Bizarro .

Ultimate Member

I just wish they hadn't killed off Doomsday, but had batman and Superman actually work out their differences like grown adults.

Plus, Doomsday has a unique origin and design, not an Abomination cave troll

Honestly Batman versus Superman has alot of the same problems as Iron Man 2. The franchise building in both movies feel misguided and unnecessary.

Iron Man 2 would've worked better as an Agent of Shield or Iron Man versus Hulk. BvS would've worked better as Man of Steel 2. Scrap Batman and Wonder Woman and replace them with Superman villians/supporting characters.

If you want a DC character to pop up, I'd use Cyborg. He's a subplot character where Clark tries to convince him not to commit suicide. He gets a minor arc where he resolves to be a hero and helps Supes at the end.

I dislike Doomsday and rather use Bizarro or Parasite instead.

Retired

There needed to be two movies--both about 2 hours 30 minutes. The first would be BATMAN V SUPERMAN without the DAWN OF JUSTICE. Gal Gadot would appear as Wonder Woman maybe--to set up her own movie. But there'd be no Doomsday. However, there'd likely be a smoke monster of some sort in the final act, given the comic book formula.

The second movie would be THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN (working title) and I guess it would have to have Doomsday killing him--but I never liked Doomsday and would rather some other super-villain did the killing. The first half of the movie would set it up with everybody now liking Superman and thinking he's a great guy--so it would make sense for the world to mourn him when he dies. In that first half, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman would organize the Justice League, so they'd already be established by the time Superman died and they had a Funeral for a Friend.

But that movie would eliminate either of the two versions of JUSTICE LEAGUE that we got. Because there would be no need for Batman and Wonder Woman to establish a team. The Justice League would already exist at the beginning of the movie and they could get down to business right away.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Honestly Batman versus Superman has alot of the same problems as Iron Man 2. The franchise building in both movies feel misguided and unnecessary.

Iron Man 2 would've worked better as an Agent of Shield or Iron Man versus Hulk. BvS would've worked better as Man of Steel 2. Scrap Batman and Wonder Woman and replace them with Superman villians/supporting characters.

If you want a DC character to pop up, I'd use Cyborg. He's a subplot character where Clark tries to convince him not to commit suicide. He gets a minor arc where he resolves to be a hero and helps Supes at the end.

I dislike Doomsday and rather use Bizarro or Parasite instead.
    IM2 could've been IM vs BW and Hawkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There needed to be two movies--both about 2 hours 30 minutes. The first would be BATMAN V SUPERMAN without the DAWN OF JUSTICE. Gal Gadot would appear as Wonder Woman maybe--to set up her own movie. But there'd be no Doomsday. However, there'd likely be a smoke monster of some sort in the final act, given the comic book formula.

The second movie would be THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN (working title) and I guess it would have to have Doomsday killing him--but I never liked Doomsday and would rather some other super-villain did the killing. The first half of the movie would set it up with everybody now liking Superman and thinking he's a great guy--so it would make sense for the world to mourn him when he dies. In that first half, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman would organize the Justice League, so they'd already be established by the time Superman died and they had a Funeral for a Friend.

But that movie would eliminate either of the two versions of JUSTICE LEAGUE that we got. Because there would be no need for Batman and Wonder Woman to establish a team. The Justice League would already exist at the beginning of the movie and they could get down to business right away.
    Death of Superman should come at the end of his series IMO, years after they've fought Darkseid and such

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

Death of Superman should come at the end of his series IMO, years after they've fought Darkseid and such
    In an ideal world, sure. But I'm being pragmatic and looking at what was possible given the hand that was dealt. They might have put off their plans for one movie but not for a series of movies yet to be made.

I don't know about calling the movie "DEATH OF SUPERMAN" as that's a big spoiler--but that's the kind of title that would attract a large audience.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In an ideal world, sure. But I'm being pragmatic and looking at what was possible given the hand that was dealt. They might have put off their plans for one movie but not for a series of movies yet to be made.

I don't know about calling the movie "DEATH OF SUPERMAN" as that's a big spoiler--but that's the kind of title that would attract a large audience.
    I think with that title, the spoiler is the advertisement! At that point, his death would be a major selling point.

I agree, they need to be pragmatic about the hands dealt to them. However, Snyder didn't have to kill Superman in BvS. He chose to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    IM2 could've been IM vs BW and Hawkeye.

I see the appeal but I don't think Hawkeye and BW are strong enough to hold the film on their own.

I'd add Spymaster as the big bad and make him their boss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spymaster_(comics)

The film is basically a heist film. Justin Hammer hires Spymaster and his team to steal from Tony.

The end credit scene is Fury deciding to hire BW and Hawkeye as potential agents. This sets up the Agents of Shield film and gives Tony reasons to distrust these two the next time they interact.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-03-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Now I really wish we would have gotten Lex in the Lexosuit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I see the appeal but I don't think Hawkeye and BW are strong enough to hold the film on their own.

I'd add Spymaster as the big bad and make him their boss.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spymaster_(comics)

The film is basically a heist film. Justin Hammer hires Spymaster and his team to steal from Tony.

The end credit scene is Fury deciding to hire BW and Hawkeye as potential agents. This sets up the Agents of Shield film and gives Tony reasons to distrust these two the next time they interact.
    True. i just meant more like BP was in CW.

But I'm getting off topic

Lex Luthor's assistant was an Amazon in the comics. You could use that as a way to challenge WW and give her a stronger reason to be in the film.