Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    I for one am still LOVING this. It's in contention for my favorite thing being published right now, and had it come out any other week it probably would have been the best issue of that week full stop (Multiversity was particularly good this week, but Supreme Blue Rose 2 did the impossible and beat it last month).

The revelations are coming subtle but fast here, from the nature of the bar and the appearances of Enigma and Storybook, to the metafictional elements asserting themselves more strongly, to the overall plan...and the prose, like the art, is just gorgeous, lush, evocative.
    You know man, after this week's issue? I think it's the best book on the stands. Just a magnificence that I haven't seen in a monthly in a long time. How lucky are we that we get to argue if Ellis or Morrison had the better book this week? It's a great time for funny books.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You know man, after this week's issue? I think it's the best book on the stands. Just a magnificence that I haven't seen in a monthly in a long time. How lucky are we that we get to argue if Ellis or Morrison had the better book this week? It's a great time for funny books.
    Yeah, the fact that Ellis' Supreme and Morrison's Multiversity have arrived on the same day twice in a row has made the last couple months seem like a 00s renaissance. It's been an uneven decade for both of them, with Ellis vanishing into bite-sized stories, a flash of promise followed by silence, and Morrison getting a case of project fever, with concept-driven work that sounds irresistible in the solicitation copy (and equally so in the hands of devoted interpreters) but proves hit-and-miss at the level of practical storytelling. These new books are gorgeous, ambitious, and gratifyingly weird in a way that reminds me of signature series like Planetary and The Invisibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    Yeah, the fact that Ellis' Supreme and Morrison's Multiversity have arrived on the same day twice in a row has made the last couple months seem like a 00s renaissance. It's been an uneven decade for both of them, with Ellis vanishing into bite-sized stories, a flash of promise followed by silence, and Morrison getting a case of project fever, with concept-driven work that sounds irresistible in the solicitation copy (and equally so in the hands of devoted interpreters) but proves hit-and-miss at the level of practical storytelling. These new books are gorgeous, ambitious, and gratifyingly weird in a way that reminds me of signature series like Planetary and The Invisibles.
    Totally. It's like a whole new wavelength is shinning through. I make it a rule to read everything by Morrison and Ellis. There's always something to be savored in even their weakest work. MOON KNIGHT and TREES don't even come close to the level of quality in SUPREME: BLUE ROSE. This book is outstanding and oddly easy to digest. I don't find it too confusing because it's supposed to be "odd"- the characters themselves feel "odd". If Ellis stays with this and doesn't just move on after 5 issues- it could easily surpass PLANETARY for me.

Sadly THE INVISIBLES will be near impossible to surpass, for this reader.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-18-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Totally. It's like a whole new wavelength is shinning through. I make it a rule to read everything by Morrison and Ellis. There's always something to be savored in even their weakest work. MOON KNIGHT and TREES don't even come close to the level of quality in SUPREME: BLUE ROSE. This book is outstanding and oddly easy to digest. I don't find it too confusing because it's supposed to be "odd"- the characters themselves feel "odd". If Ellis stays with this and doesn't just move on after 5 issues- it could easily surpass PLANETARY for me.

Sadly THE INVISIBLES will be near impossible to surpass, for this reader.
    Don't know about you, but for me The Invisibles came at just the right moment, middle-school into high-school, to work as a kind of subculture primer. That timing alone makes it seem kind of unique in a way that has to do with the book itself only in part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    Don't know about you, but for me The Invisibles came at just the right moment, middle-school into high-school, to work as a kind of subculture primer. That timing alone makes it seem kind of unique in a way that has to do with the book itself only in part.
    Totally man. I was a little older when THE INVISIBLES hit but I remember devouring it in high school. It was better to me than NAKED LUNCH, which I read around the same time. It was this anthem and something that really resonated within me. That's really the reason it "can't be topped", I read it at the perfect age.

THE FILTH came close, but it didn't have King Mob nor Jack Frost. The characters still stick in my mind even now.