Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Do you consider Earth 167 to be the "official" Smallville Earth?

The Arrow-verse's COIE said that Smallville took place on Earth 167 and had Clark in retirement after giving up his powers. Considering some fans didn't like this ending, do you consider this to be the "official" Smallville Earth?
    Assassinate Putin!

That's Tom Welling's contract terms Earth. The Small Season 11 Earth is different to me!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The Arrow-verse's COIE said that Smallville took place on Earth 167 and had Clark in retirement after giving up his powers. Considering some fans didn't like this ending, do you consider this to be the "official" Smallville Earth?
    Yup.

I also consider the Superman played by Brandon Routh in the Arrowverse Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover to be the Superman from all of the Christopher Reeves/Brandon Routh movies, and the events he describes happening to him and other characters after Superman Returns but prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths as being canon for the world and the characters from those films.

Obviously, both characters are distinct from the Superman who was from the same universe as the CBS/CW show's Supergirl, who later retroactively became the Superman on the earth where all the Arrowverse shows take place as the results of Crisis consolidating them into a single universe (Previously, Arrow, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow took place in one universe, whereas Supergirl took place in another, even though there were crossover events where Flash brought her over from her native universe. However, the events of Crisis retroactively and going forward made them all from the same earth in the same universe, and the key television characters have memories of both the pre and post Crisis status quo, even though most of the planet does not.) and is now in Superman and Lois.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-07-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Yup.

I also consider the Superman played by Brandon Routh in the Arrowverse Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover to be the Superman from all of the Christopher Reeves/Brandon Routh movies, and the events he describes happening to him and other characters after Superman Returns but prior to Crisis on Infinite Earths as being canon for the world and the characters from those films.

Obviously, both characters are distinct from the Superman who was from the same universe as the CBS/CW show's Supergirl, who later retroactively became the Superman on the earth where all the Arrowverse shows take place as the results of Crisis consolidating them into a single universe (Previously, Arrow, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow took place in one universe, whereas Supergirl took place in another, even though there were crossover events where Flash brought her over from her native universe. However, the events of Crisis retroactively and going forward made them all from the same earth in the same universe, and the key television characters have memories of both the pre and post Crisis status quo, even though most of the planet does not.) and is now in Superman and Lois.
    Does that mean you also think that the upcoming Superman'78 book also takes place on Earth 96?
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Fans didn't like clark punching lex on his own merits and without constantly tripping over a rock? fans didn't like clark saying No to jor el and "His destiny"?Fans are wierd.I don't see why not.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-08-2021 at 02:16 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Yep, I consider it official. Clark lived through the 10 seasons of the show, had his season 11 comic book adventures, and then gave up his powers to have a family with Lois. I think that ending works just fine, and is even reminiscent of Whatever Happened... by Moore (without the Mxy death, anyway).

The thing with Smallville Clark is he's not living in a regular comic book world where his villains will always recur. In this universe, he's defeated them and they probably aren't coming back. Plus, the world is well protected. At the end of the day, the show took many of its mythology cues from the Reeve films, and in Superman 2 when Superman gave up his powers, there was a way to reverse it. If Smallville Earth was in dire straits, I'm sure this Clark could reverse the power drain if needed.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Does that mean you also think that the upcoming Superman'78 book also takes place on Earth 96?
    I tend to think of continuity of live action recorded media (films, television) and comic books as somewhat separate from each other, although obviously there are often times when each takes inspiration from the other for characters, stories, and tone, even when they are not being as obvious as the Superman '78 title and artwork featuring Christopher Reeves' image is trying to be.

I suppose that I would say that if I read it and like it, and it isn't contradicted by the past and potentially future adventures of the Christopher Reeves/Brandon Routh Superman on screen (Big or small), I would sort of in a way categorize it as an informal tentative head canon part of that continuity. The second it contradicts anything, it's something else, though.

My views on this sort of thing are somewhat informed by Star Trek's long-standing idea that only their live action TV series and movies are canon. A prose book, comic book, or other tie-in can be done that attempts to fit into that continuity, but if a live action thing comes out that contradicts a book, the former is canon and the latter even more firmly non-canon.

Star Trek: Picard (the TV show) contradicts a lot of books, but Trek fans knew instantly that it could happen and that if it did, the books would be outside the mainstream Trek universe's canon. That's just how it works.

At one point, there were two contradictory continuations of Deep Space Nine in prose novels and comic books, and then a countdown comic book to Star Trek XI presented a third vision of some of the same characters.

Superman is a bit more complicated on that front because it comes from the comics, meaning it's the filmed stuff that are the tie-ins, in some respects. Still, the same general idea that there is some separation between them is there for me.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-10-2021 at 12:45 AM.