Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to start with Justice League Dark?

I want to give this team a try. I'm down to check out any series or version. Only requirement is the roster must include Zatanna and Swamp Thing.

Both the 2011 and 2018 series feature Zatanna and Swamp Thing.

The 2011 series is better in terms of the writers (the art is better if I recall correctly to), but the 2018 series features Zatanna and Swamp Thing upfront more consistently...it is a good read to.

I actually felt the 2018 had better art. It was certainly much creepier and had a lot of body horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    Both the 2011 and 2018 series feature Zatanna and Swamp Thing.

The 2011 series is better in terms of the writers (the art is better if I recall correctly to), but the 2018 series features Zatanna and Swamp Thing upfront more consistently...it is a good read to.
    Is 2011 the first ever monthly for JLD? And why is Wonder Woman in the 2018 series?

The 2011 series has a far better lineup and art style but the 2018 series I feel features Zatanna and Swamp Thing more prominently

I haven’t read the 2011 series; I loved the 2018 series so much I’m now buying Justice League strictly for the JLD back-up feature.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfShaolin View Post
    Is 2011 the first ever monthly for JLD? And why is Wonder Woman in the 2018 series?
    The 2018 had a more WW centric storyline. She also fits the team being a person if mystical origin.

I actually prefer the 2018 series. I agree that the line-up of the first series is better, but the stories weren't very good. Milligan never found his footing and Lemire's run was only ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfShaolin View Post
    Yes 2011 is the first JLD monthly...it is a fairly young super team as far as DC goes.

As someone else pointed out Wonder Woman has a mythical origin which places her in the realm of magic.

Constantine is the lead character of the first series and Wonder Woman the second series, Zatanna plays the number 2 role in each of these runs.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In the 2011 series, Swamp Thing only join midway, during the Forever Evil crossover, but Zatanna's been there since the beginning.

I didn't like the 2011 version. I enjoyed the 2018 version more.

I like both eras and I suggest checking out both.

I would recommend the 2018 series over the 2011 series.

The 2018 series feels more focused, has moodier art and doesn't get pulled into a bunch of crossovers.

The 2011 series came right at the start of New52 and no one knew exactly what that meant at the time. There was no history, but maybe there was. But if there was, we didn't know it. And neither did most of the writers.
    I liked the art, but at times it felt too stiff because it was pushing more for realism.
    I eventually lost interest with the first JL-event crossover.
    And the lead writer bailing before the first year came to a close wasn't a promising sign. Especially when you consider that it was Milligan. JLDark was something in his wheelhouse, and he was no stranger to long runs (see Shade the Changing Man).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I didn't like the 2011 version. I enjoyed the 2018 version more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I would recommend the 2018 series over the 2011 series.

The 2018 series feels more focused, has moodier art and doesn't get pulled into a bunch of crossovers.

The 2011 series came right at the start of New52 and no one knew exactly what that meant at the time. There was no history, but maybe there was. But if there was, we didn't know it. And neither did most of the writers.
    I liked the art, but at times it felt too stiff because it was pushing more for realism.
    I eventually lost interest with the first JL-event crossover.
    And the lead writer bailing before the first year came to a close wasn't a promising sign. Especially when you consider that it was Milligan. JLDark was something in his wheelhouse, and he was no stranger to long runs (see Shade the Changing Man).
    What they said. Moreover, the first arc of 2011 opens with some rather annoying Batwank whereas Diana is already the most magic-adjacent of the Trinity and she needs another book, even if it's a team she leads. It felt like the stronger book as well. Just overall a better situation.

It was refreshing to see someone acknowledge Diana's mystic side and see how she blended in with all the other magical characters. Man-Bat was also surprisingly fun.