View Poll Results: All Now or Week-to-Week?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drink From The Firehose

6 18.75%
  • Tease Me Weekly

13 40.63%
  • Depends On The Story

13 40.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Weekly, for all the reasons above.

I even watched Justice League Snyders Cut in three parts.

Mighty Member

I say weekly. It's a model that has existed for weekly tv viewing since the 1970s I think? Plus for the Marvel/SW shows and the other originals on Disney+ it helps build anticipation for the next episode. But if you'd rather binge just wait for the series to finish, then binge at will, lol.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Yeah, same. I avoided the Daredevil and Jessica Jones threads like the plague because there's no way I can watch a whole season in a weekend or even a week. WandaVision, though? That was a lot of fun discussing as it was coming out.
    Ditto. There's fun to be had in participating with people as things happen, and there's no way to segregate those that have binged from those who are moving at a slower pace.

All at once.

Streaming services were meant to be an alternative to traditional TV. It shouldn't be beholden to it's aspects.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    But if you'd rather binge just wait for the series to finish, then binge at will, lol.
    Why should we have to wait? Can't the series drop all at once, and those who want to watch it weekly just do it an episode a week instead?

Depends. I do like the feel of weekly anticipation. Gives you something to look forward to, like RuPaul's Drag Race. But other times I think (esp. a new show) needs you to watch several to get into it, so maybe all at once would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why should we have to wait? Can't the series drop all at once, and those who want to watch it weekly just do it an episode a week instead?
    Come on, you know why this won't work. Because enough will binge in one day, then spoilers will be all over the shop and could potentially ruin big shocks.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Tease me weekly, people forget quickly when they binge
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Boisterously Confused

I could see stories that are more binge conducive, but - especially with Marvel's first couple of shows - I think the experience benefits with some basting time between episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Come on, you know why this won't work. Because enough will binge in one day, then spoilers will be all over the shop and could potentially ruin big shocks.
    No, I don't. First of all, spoilers aren't that difficult to avoid. You know which sites, forums, and threads are likely to have spoilers. We all know where the risks are, so avoiding spoilers is more a matter of willpower than accident. Secondly, spoilers aren't that big a deal most of the time when it comes to determining your enjoyment level. And finally, your argument is unknowingly hypocritical. You say that it should be released weekly and that those who want to binge should just wait - you then say it can't work the other way because those who want to watch the episodes weekly will risk spoilers - yet you fail to see that people waiting to binge the season would also have to risk seeing spoilers! You're saying spoilers is a bad risk for one group, the one you're in, but it is fine for the other group who wants to enjoy the show all at once.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Netflix model is fine for me. I don't binge watch, but "weekly" usually means "three weekly episodes and then a month hiatus." I like to watch a story at a fairly steady pace.

This means I can't really discuss streaming shows online, because the bingers will watch the whole season in the first day and then talk about the spoilers... and yes, spoilers do ruin the experience for me. My enjoyment of a story depends on it unfolding gradually as the creator intended.

I would be fine with a weekly format if an episode came out *every* week without fail until the season was finished.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The Netflix model is fine for me. I don't binge watch, but "weekly" usually means "three weekly episodes and then a month hiatus." I like to watch a story at a fairly steady pace.

This means I can't really discuss streaming shows online, because the bingers will watch the whole season in the first day and then talk about the spoilers... and yes, spoilers do ruin the experience for me. My enjoyment of a story depends on it unfolding gradually as the creator intended.

I would be fine with a weekly format if an episode came out *every* week without fail until the season was finished.
    Do you know that the creator intended it to be weekly?

Incredible Member

If you want to discuss the show with other people and have the show become a social event, obviously weekly is the answer.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Do you know that the creator intended it to be weekly?
    I know that the creator intended me to actually watch the story before knowing how it comes out.

That's the problem with a Netflix drop... thousands of people know how the season comes out the next day. I like the old way of discussing a show episode by episode and watching the story develop. Which is only an issue with the few shows I actually care about discussing, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I know that the creator intended me to actually watch the story before knowing how it comes out.

That's the problem with a Netflix drop... thousands of people know how the season comes out the next day. I like the old way of discussing a show episode by episode and watching the story develop. Which is only an issue with the few shows I actually care about discussing, of course.
    The creator could have intended you to binge. And there's always the option of not discussing it with people who are going to spoil it.

Mighty Member

All at once. I'll watch it on my own time at my own pace when I want.
    Here, here....co-signed!!!

All at once, I don't have to wait 7 days repeatedly after each ep just draaaagging more time out of the audience/viewers where a series I can finish in 4 days gets stretched to 3-4 months on weekly eps- that's nonsensical.

Time is short

And there are way too many series to watch to get pinned down into weeklies.

Better to have all at once...

....watch at your own chosen pace NOT at a crawl pace imposed on you

...Viewers can save a great amount of time where viewers can finish/consume more series with all-at-once/AAO releases than weekly eps.

The story style of the series (episodic or not) has no impact on whether to release it aao or weekly.