View Poll Results: All Now or Week-to-Week?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drink From The Firehose

6 18.75%
  • Tease Me Weekly

13 40.63%
  • Depends On The Story

13 40.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Streaming Series: All At Once Or Tease Me Weekly?

We've seen it both ways. Some seasons drop the whole load, and some make us wait for Thursday (or so).

What do you like?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

All at once.

All at once. I'll watch it on my own time at my own pace when I want.

BANNED

Weekly builds interest, encourages conversation, and makes the anticipation more fun. I still remember the awful Netflix threads (discuss the first 6 episodes here, the second in this other one... and no spoilers because that somehow ruins the experience for some people).

Depends On The Story, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Boisterously Confused

I'm a weekly guy. It was one of the powers of the monthly comic.

Give the audience time to chew on the story. To build excitement. To maybe make the wrong guesses, and be shocked by the reveal.

The Judas Contract, and Under Siege, for example, would have lost half their punch if dropped all at once. There was a ton of "which way will it go?" in the story that would have been lost had you been able to just jump to the next chapter.

Weekly, please. I like to watch a few episodes at a time, and streaming fills up my DVR if I don't binge.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Extraordinary Member

Depends on the series, because some shows are heavier on uneven serialization, while others are designed to blend the strengths of episodic storytelling with serialization.

It if feels like one long movie chopped into pieces, I’d prefer one long binge. If it feels more like individual chapters with their own plotlines, then one at a time.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

There’s no one answer for everything.

Of course, people can temper themselves as well. The ability to binge watch still exists even if a show is released weekly, as well as being able to watch a fully released series one episode a week.

I still haven’t finished the Snyder Cut, and it’s a movie!

Ultimate Member

All at once.

The Netflix model has spoiled us. And it doesn’t help that a lot of these series play out like 6-8 hours movies as opposed to a serialized program.

Tease weekly. I don't binge well and I find if I take in too much at once I lose interest. Things don't really have time to build and for me to process and invest in the show if it's all there all at once. I know I can pace it as a I want, but when it's all at once, I always feel it will be there when I get to it, but I rarely do and I usually end up not finishing it or taking months if not years to get through a season often forgetting what happened previously and losing track of the season because there is zero incentive or motivation tomake time for it, it's just there. Weekly, I feel like it's appointment TV and make time to see it and I find I enjoy the show all that much more.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Weekly builds interest, encourages conversation, and makes the anticipation more fun. I still remember the awful Netflix threads (discuss the first 6 episodes here, the second in this other one... and no spoilers because that somehow ruins the experience for some people).
    Yeah, same. I avoided the Daredevil and Jessica Jones threads like the plague because there's no way I can watch a whole season in a weekend or even a week. WandaVision, though? That was a lot of fun discussing as it was coming out.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

all at once so i can spoil it for everyone that cant do a 8-12 hour marathon

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    We've seen it both ways. Some seasons drop the whole load, and some make us wait for Thursday (or so).

What do you like?
    I prefer an episode a week. Every time I've binged, I've regretted it because I really fell in love with the characters and situations and then it was done and a whole year until the next season.

The one exception is when I started losing interest but had gone too far to stop. Then I binged just to get it over with.
    Power with Girl is better.

Depends on the story, but leaning weekly.

The Disney+ model has developed a kind of appointment viewing that I like. Easier to dodge spoilers and build communal interest for each episode.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!