Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Felicia likes the costume life too much to have a kid. She's always been more attracted to the Spider-Man persona than Peter himself.
    She's come to terms with his personal life and actually even took interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    She's come to terms with his personal life and actually even took interest in it.
    Except when she didn't during BND when she didn't even want Peter to take his mask off during sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Except when she didn't during BND when she didn't even want Peter to take his mask off during sex.
    Can't hold Slott's OOC depiction against her. They were heavily pushing Carlie at the time as "the one," even MJ was behaving like she couldn't accept Peter AS Spider-man.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Can't hold Slott's OOC depiction against her. They were heavily pushing Carlie at the time as "the one," even MJ was behaving like she couldn't accept Peter AS Spider-man.
    That was written by Joe Kelly.

BANNED

I just don't ever see it. their relationship should stop at flirty. No one will be right for Peter for me except Mary Jane and while I respect the impact and landmark story of The Night Gwen Stacey Died, I just have never been invested in any romance story where Peter and Gwen are the couple, also case in point House of M or Spectacular Spiderman cartoon.

I know Gwen Stacey and Peter have a strong vocal fan base and Gwen does well and in the never ending debate of who is the greatest love of peter's life. Still I am not a big Peter and Gwen fan, So this means I can barely put up with a love story of Peter and Black Cat.
    Last edited by Castle; 04-06-2021 at 10:35 AM.

That was written by Joe Kelly.
    Ok fine, Joe Kelley then, doesn't change the point that the Spider office was pushing for Carlie.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Ok fine, Joe Kelley then, doesn't change the point that the Spider office was pushing for Carlie.
    I think they view it as the conflict in Felicia's relationship with Peter. That she doesn't actually want to become Peter's wife and raise children with him. That she doesn't want to be domesticated.

It makes for a good source of conflict in a romantic relationship.

Mighty Member

I think they view it as the conflict in Felicia's relationship with Peter. That she doesn't actually want to become Peter's wife and raise children with him. That she doesn't want to be domesticated.

To be fair, BND Felicia's characterization did contradict her development during the marriage era as it did for many characters...but that's also kind of the point. The development happened when Peter was very much committed to MJ. (Even when you consider the changes that occured with OMD.) The time when Peter could have what-if'd married Felicia would have been when they dated in the 80s.

But I agree, not every person wants marriage or to raise children... theres no value judgement there.

But I guess this thread is more about establishing an au where Felicia and Peter happily marry, have children, and become a crime-fighting duo regardless of the characters histories in 616. In which case, I personally have no interest.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-06-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    To be fair, BND Felicia's characterization did contradict her development during the marriage era as it did for many characters...but that's also kind of the point. The development happened when Peter was very much committed to MJ. (Even when you consider the changes that occured with OMD.) The time when Peter could have what-if'd married Felicia would have been when they dated in the 80s.

But I agree, not every person wants marriage or to raise children... theres no value judgement there.

But I guess this thread is more about establishing an au where Felicia and Peter happily marry, have children, and become a crime-fighting duo regardless of the characters histories in 616. In which case, I personally have no interest.
    Felicia's acceptance of Peter's civilian life came after he was off the market, so to speak. It's a perfectly understandable way to build tension and conflict in their relationship after Peter was married. But Felicia married to Peter isn't really something that could work long-term because that isn't who Felicia is. And if you change Felicia to the point that it could be her, is she even really still Felicia anymore?

People have made similar arguments about MJ. That she isn't the same character that she was during the Lee/Romita days. That the happy-go-lucky party girl aspect of her character doesn't really exist anymore (and if it does, it isn't her most defining trait like it was during the Lee/Romita days). It's a big question about what character development is and what it isn't.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 04-06-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Felicia's acceptance of Peter's civilian life came after he was off the market, so to speak. It's a perfectly understandable way to build tension and conflict in their relationship after Peter was married. But Felicia married to Peter isn't really something that could work long-term because that isn't who Felicia is. And if you change Felicia to the point that it could be her, is she even really still Felicia anymore?

People have made similar arguments about MJ. That she isn't the same character that she was during the Lee/Romita days. That the happy-go-lucky party girl aspect of her character doesn't really exist anymore (and if it does, it isn't her most defining trait like it was during the Lee/Romita days). It's a big question about what character development is and what it isn't.
    Let's face it...how many times do we not realize what we have til we lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Let's face it...how many times do we not realize what we have til we lose it.
    I'm just saying we can expect that sort of regression for Felicia again the next time Peter and MJ break up. But she'll conveniently remember this lesson the next time Peter and MJ get back together.

Mighty Member

Agreed. There's also a distinction to be made between acceptance and whether or not she would want the same type of lifestyle for herself. Felicia grew to care about Peter Parker as an individual after knowing him for quite some time, but that doesn't necessarily mean she'd be willing to live the way he does long term.

That's true about what people say about MJ, which is why I argued earlier that something cataclysmic would need to occur to push Felicia to settle down or hang up the costume. She would need a death of Gwen moment. But at the end of the day, I think the Black Cat is far too enmeshed in Felicia's identity, and she and Peter just have inherently different values/priorities for it to ever work long term. (At least without its fair share of conflict)

You also have to remember that MJ was still in her infancy when Conway pulled that dramatic shift with the character. MJ was completely two-dimensional whereas Felicia is more fully realized as a character today. And Conway and Defalco (smartly) revealed that MJ's party girl characteristics were part of a facade and gave her a character arc/origin that mirrored Peter's. (And as an aside: from what I've seen, I think the people that argue against them "changing" MJ are being somewhat disingenuous. Many of them weren't fans of the character to begin with.)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-06-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

I personally think that Felicia and Peter's romantic relationship is long past. Especially since she was in a relationship with Flash Thompson and Puma respectively. I think that a super heroine with Peter Parker has to be someone who holds a day job, like Jessica Drew, Tigra, and Jennifer Walters. The latter 3 would work well with Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Agreed. There's also a distinction to be made between acceptance and whether or not she would want the same type of lifestyle for herself. Felicia grew to care about Peter Parker as an individual after knowing him for quite some time, but that doesn't necessarily mean she'd be willing to live the way he does long term.

That's true about what people say about MJ, which is why I argued earlier that something cataclysmic would need to occur to push Felicia to settle down or hang up the costume. She would need a death of Gwen moment. But at the end of the day, I think the Black Cat is far too enmeshed in Felicia's identity, and she and Peter just have inherently different values/priorities for it to ever work long term. (At least without its fair share of conflict)

You also have to remember that MJ was still in her infancy when Conway pulled that dramatic shift with the character. MJ was completely two-dimensional whereas Felicia is more fully realized as a character today. And Conway and Defalco (smartly) revealed that MJ's party girl characteristics were part of a facade and gave her a character arc/origin that mirrored Peter's. (And as an aside: from what I've seen, I think the people that argue against them "changing" MJ are being somewhat disingenuous. Many of them weren't fans of the character to begin with.)
    I happen to agree on all points. I would also note that Felicia’s stealing is something that will always come between the two of them. Felicia needs Someone who will be non judgmental and love her unconditionally. Watch a movie called Desire with Gary Cooper and Marlene Dietrich. American Cooper who although on a lower socioeconomic class wins and reforms sophisticated jewel thief Dietrich by yes being non judgmental and loving her unconditionally.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 04-06-2021 at 07:53 PM.

I'd like to see a good, modern take on their relationship. It's overdue for a revisit in its proper context as opposed to something like the ultimate line. Honestly, I've had a serious case of MJ fatigue for years. anyway.