Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That is shamefully true. I know I was guilty of that before (and I need to stay on my toes so I'm not guilty of it again). Although it is to be noted YA isn't aimed at just females - although they are a significant chunk of the YA pie. But yeah, Women and Teens literature shouldn't be dismissed, and they can be just as interested in superhero fiction catered to them as we men are.

It helps that I've actually started reading some YA books. Mostly the Lois Lane trilogy by Gwenda Bond and the recent Daphne and Velma books.

For someone not savvy on these webcomic platforms, how are they?
    I admit I'm personally not always into YA, although that's more from a book, rather than a comic book, perspective.

I haven't caught up with webcomics but I'd like to check them out

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That is shamefully true. I know I was guilty of that before (and I need to stay on my toes so I'm not guilty of it again). Although it is to be noted YA isn't aimed at just females - although they are a significant chunk of the YA pie. But yeah, Women and Teens literature shouldn't be dismissed, and they can be just as interested in superhero fiction catered to them as we men are.

It helps that I've actually started reading some YA books. Mostly the Lois Lane trilogy by Gwenda Bond and the recent Daphne and Velma books.

For someone not savvy on these webcomic platforms, how are they?
    Tapas and webtoon are the only platforms I've used.

In general: A lot of "just ok" comics but it's still good if you're looking for something to read for free. Some of the most entertaining comics I'm reading right now happen to be webcomics.

Female-led related: Pretty good, my favorite female-led comic is a webcomic (Your Throne)
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I'll always take quality over quantity but dangit DC it shouldn't be hard to make a good ongoing Vixen comic.

Marvel Character who are in print right now?

Captain Marvel

Black Cat

Silk (just came back last month actually)

Spider-Woman

Daredevil (Elektra is Daredevil atm)

America Chavez (don't know if that's an ongoing)

Scream (not an ongoing, so maybe it doesn't count, its a King in Black tie-in to clarify)

Thanks for the reply!

At first glance, it's not that impressive of a list to me. It basically boils down to the three of Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, and Black Cat to me (as the rest are stretches or too unestablished as of yet, imo, i.e. Marvel can cut them any time because of sales). To me, DC matches or surpasses those three respectively with Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Catwoman.

But overall I'd agree that DC (and Marvel) could do better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

At first glance, it's not that impressive of a list to me. It basically boils down to the three of Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, and Black Cat to me (as the rest are stretches or too unestablished as of yet, imo, i.e. Marvel can cut them any time because of sales). To me, DC matches or surpasses those three respectively with Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Catwoman.

But overall I'd agree that DC (and Marvel) could do better.
    Well, Marvel's group seems more ethnically diverse, at least for now

Invincible Member

Aren't they doing a Vixen series right now?

far better with superheroines than Marvel from the 90s to the 00s. DC had far more success, not just with Wonder Woman, but Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Zatanna, Supergirl, Black Canary, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Huntress, Katana, Teen Titans ladies, etc., etc.

It's interesting now that people think Marvel is better. They certainly played the long game with Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel, but outside of her I wouldn't say they are doing better than DC unless you want to count all the heroines on the X-men corner of the Marvel Universe.

Spider-Woman is canceled. Black Cat probably won't last too long. It will be interesting to see how Black Widow performs.

But the consensus was that DC did a better job with Superheroines and Marvel did a better job with non-white characters with an emphasis on Black male leads. Just compared between the two companies mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Aren't they doing a Vixen series right now?
    it was just a digital mini
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

DC has more iconic female heroes, I would agree with that.

But I'm wondering how DC is doing now. Not just in competition with Marvel, but with itself

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    DC has more iconic female heroes, I would agree with that.

But I'm wondering how DC is doing now. Not just in competition with Marvel, but with itself
    1) Wonder Woman
    2) Catwoman
    3) Hellcat (Patsy Walker)
    4) Supergirl
    5) Lois Lane
    6) She-Hulk
    7) Spider-Girl (May Parker)
    8) Captain Marvel
    9) Harley Quinn
    10) Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
    11) Elektra
    12) Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
    13) X-23
    14) Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
    15) Ms Marvel
    16) Black Widow
    17) Powergirl
    18) Black Canary
    19) Batwoman (Kate Kane)
    20) Squirrel Girl
    21) Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)
    22) Spider-Gwen
    23) Jessica Jones
    24) Moon Girl
    25) Jane Foster

That’s the list as of December 2020, in terms of number of solo issues led.

DC- 11
    MARVEL- 14

Obviously characters like Lois and Patsy benefited from the olden days where series would last 100+ issues, which doesn’t happen in modern times, as evidenced by them not being able to support a book anymore. So if you remove them, everyone moves up one and you get Amethyst and Dazzler next. Numbers remain equal

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    1) Wonder Woman
    2) Catwoman
    3) Hellcat (Patsy Walker)
    4) Supergirl
    5) Lois Lane
    6) She-Hulk
    7) Spider-Girl (May Parker)
    8) Captain Marvel
    9) Harley Quinn
    10) Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
    11) Elektra
    12) Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
    13) X-23
    14) Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
    15) Ms Marvel
    16) Black Widow
    17) Powergirl
    18) Black Canary
    19) Batwoman (Kate Kane)
    20) Squirrel Girl
    21) Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)
    22) Spider-Gwen
    23) Jessica Jones
    24) Moon Girl
    25) Jane Foster

That’s the list as of December 2020, in terms of number of solo issues led.

DC- 11
    MARVEL- 14

Obviously characters like Lois and Patsy benefited from the olden days where series would last 100+ issues, which doesn’t happen in modern times, as evidenced by them not being able to support a book anymore. So if you remove them, everyone moves up one and you get Amethyst and Dazzler next. Numbers remain equal
    Thanks, that's a pretty good list. Although is that just solo or all appearances?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Thanks, that's a pretty good list. Although is that just solo or all appearances?
    Solo issues led, so you won't often see regular team ladies like Starfire, Raven, Zatanna, Jean Grey, Storm or Sue Richards, who rarely, if ever, get their own book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    far better with superheroines than Marvel from the 90s to the 00s. DC had far more success, not just with Wonder Woman, but Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Zatanna, Supergirl, Black Canary, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Huntress, Katana, Teen Titans ladies, etc., etc.

It's interesting now that people think Marvel is better. They certainly played the long game with Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel, but outside of her I wouldn't say they are doing better than DC unless you want to count all the heroines on the X-men corner of the Marvel Universe.

Spider-Woman is canceled. Black Cat probably won't last too long. It will be interesting to see how Black Widow performs.

But the consensus was that DC did a better job with Superheroines and Marvel did a better job with non-white characters with an emphasis on Black male leads. Just compared between the two companies mind you.

I don't understand...

How did DC do a better job with Superheroines?

IMHO, if DC is doing so well with heroines, then they wouldn't need to reform Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Catwoman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Solo issues led, so you won't often see regular team ladies like Starfire, Raven, Zatanna, Jean Grey, Storm or Sue Richards, who rarely, if ever, get their own book.
    That's too bad. Honestly I don't think being on a team book should take away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Amethyst Gemworld is a strong concept that deserves development
    Actually, the New 52 Amethyst was doing a great job of world-building, complete with different gem-themed houses, each with their own abilities, and everything. I really enjoyed it and wanted it to continue, but it was cancelled around issue 8...

There are plenty of characters who, like you mentioned, have been mostly been seen on teams, but could really shine in their own light. In another thread (something about creating your own DC team?) I mentioned a (mostly) all-female team, which I think is another way to let them shine and give people a chance to get to know the characters before they go into a solo book. It would be safer for DC as well, to see which characters might be able to hold their own title.

Personally, I think that Fire could really be built up. She's got a good look, a nice power set, and she's varied from model to super-spy, so if they just built up her spy background with Checkmate (as they did in Justice League: Generation Lost,) I think she might do okay. Throw in Nightshade as well. Ice can appear as a supporting character from time-to-time, but honestly I don't see what she could add to a spy team... I know the Fire/Ice friendship is a main thing for them, but I think Fire has a better chance of standing on her own.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post

I get that powers are a good hook (or a situation, in a book like Warlord or something), but like you said it's the other factors that really sells a book, at least for me. I'm one of the many who are tired of so many Batbooks, but I'd rather read a new Batbook written by someone I really enjoy than a book starring a character I love who never gets a chance to shine written by someone I can't stand. There's always a chance I'll be proven wrong, but my luck with these things tends to dictate otherwise.
    I completely understand.

I really enjoy Hawk & Dove (Hank & Dawn). I did not enjoy learning that Rob L was writing their new series.

At least, we got Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I don't understand...

How did DC do a better job with Superheroines?

IMHO, if DC is doing so well with heroines, then they wouldn't need to reform Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Catwoman.
    What kind of logic? Many people gravitate towards bad guys (or gals in this case), hence the most popular ones are developed as morally ambiguous to get more screentime regardless of gender.

Marvel has reformed Emma Frost, Black Cat, Moondragon, and on the male side Punisher, Magneto, Eddie Brock, so does that mean they are doing terribly with heroes all around?