Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if he'll get to ride a jet ski.
    If he doesn't I'll likely be more angry than I was about Ralph Bohner

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    ...I also selfishly really love Tom Hiddleston's acting and handling of the character...
    Agreed. I don't think there's a way to overstate how difficult it would be to replace what Hiddleston's delivered in the role. If Hiddleston still wants to do Loki (and isn't making unsupportable compensation demands) Marvel would be insane to write him out in favor of a variant cast with a different actor.

IMO, it's similar to RDJ. There are a ton of actors that could have delivered a great Tony Stark in the original IM film, but it would have been very difficult to replace what RDJ carved onto the screen afterward.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 06-19-2021 at 12:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    IMO, it's similar to RDJ. There are a ton of actors that could have delivered a great Tony Stark in the original IM film, but it would have been very difficult to replace what RDJ carved onto the screen afterward.
    Eh, you could make the same argument about William Shatner and Captain Kirk. Or Sean Connery with James Bond. No actor of any sense tries to replicate what another actor did. They bring their own interpretation to the character, given a (likely) dramatically different character in the script.

I will agree that it would be challenging for any other actor to make "Accountant Loki" as interesting. But in the end, that's not very interesting even by Hiddleston.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 06-19-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The thing is Strange was actually supposed to be in it and it's kind of his job to deal with that stuff and the showrunners just left it to the writers of his sequel film to come up with a reason as to why he wasn't involved.

With Wanda showing up in his movies they can't really not address it.
    Fair enough. As long as it works for the story of a given movie (or show), it's not like I'm opposed to the idea ... like the explanations given for Ant Man and Captain Marvel not being around for Infinity War, but being necessary by the beginning of Endgame. If it's part of the story you want to tell, then yeah, agreed that it makes sense to explain, rather than just leave the audience confused.

I just again wouldn't let the concerns about a shared universe stop you from telling a story with given characters, just because fans might criticize your story in context of that larger universe. Like, to some extent, I think both Homecoming and Far From Home kind of make it seem like Peter and Tony were the only superheroes on the planet. It's fair, from a shared-universe perspective, to ask where the rest of the heroes were for all of that ... but then, you don't get to tell the stories of Parker struggling as a solo hero, if you do have other Avengers just showing up to help, I'm all good with that little bit of inconsistency.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Fair enough. As long as it works for the story of a given movie (or show), it's not like I'm opposed to the idea ... like the explanations given for Ant Man and Captain Marvel not being around for Infinity War, but being necessary by the beginning of Endgame. If it's part of the story you want to tell, then yeah, agreed that it makes sense to explain, rather than just leave the audience confused.

I just again wouldn't let the concerns about a shared universe stop you from telling a story with given characters, just because fans might criticize your story in context of that larger universe. Like, to some extent, I think both Homecoming and Far From Home kind of make it seem like Peter and Tony were the only superheroes on the planet. It's fair, from a shared-universe perspective, to ask where the rest of the heroes were for all of that ... but then, you don't get to tell the stories of Parker struggling as a solo hero, if you do have other Avengers just showing up to help, I'm all good with that little bit of inconsistency.
    I get the needs of the show matter the most at the end of the day but when you're working within a shared universe I think it's important to keep that aspect in mind, although it's sometimes hard to pull off execution-wise.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Loki - Episode 3

Finally we get time with female Loki, who reveals she has changed her name to Sylvia.
    Thru a piece of "throw away line" it is revealed that the TVA employees themselves are not whom they seem, or whom they seem to think they are.

Twice I had flashbacks to Indiana Jones Last Crusade....."tickets please". Then a visual from the film. Hahaha, probably unintentional but I found it funny.

So, I thought if Loki and Sylvia got the ark off the planet that "unapproved/unsanctioned" event during an apocalypse would trigger red flags at the TVA and send Mobius running in....alas, what now. Ark go boom!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I wonder if their Disney is showing - Loki has his knives, but they were only useful as a clumsy metaphor for love. The second Sylvie joined Loki and we were supposed to sympathize with her, she somehow stopped being capable of killing anyone. It was like an episode of a TMNT cartoon. I wonder how much they spent on that prolonged tracking shot through the city as things were falling apart. Honestly, I really didn't need it - I'd have rather they used the budget for something else.

Loki and Sylvie have good chemistry, but I'm becoming concerned that her plan isn't going to be shown to be that interesting. I think all those reset charges were set off just to get all the TVA agents away from the HQ - not that she has some grand plan regarding the timeline and those "strategically selected targets" everyone was freeze-framing to read last week. I guess we'll see...

Also, when Loki sparked off those fireworks from his hand, was I the only one who thought, "It's myyyy birthdaaayyy!"
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-23-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Episode 3 was a good visuals episode showcasing the budget of these shows, and some of the Loki and Sylvie dialogue was good, but this episode seemed to stall things. The main interesting part is the reveal that the TVA are all variants that don't know their history is a lie.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Which to me means Mobius or any of the TVA "higher-ups" could die but another of them is out there somewhere most likely.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Loki is really good.

Extraordinary Member

We do learn a good bit about Lady Loki by implication. She seems to have not grown up as a Royal, she learned her heritage
    far earlier than our Loki did and she's had no formal training in magic.

That mind jacking trick is self taught and it's the only one she knows.

spoilers:
    I expect most of this episode was an Lady Loki driven illusion like the cold open done to trick our Loki into giving up the location of the time box thingy.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Which to me means Mobius or any of the TVA "higher-ups" could die but another of them is out there somewhere most likely.
    I wonder if any of them are refugees from the multiversal war whose timelines were wiped out, which could be interesting since that's kinda what happened with Loki and the hidden truth of his origins ... (maybe that's Kang)

Ultimate Member

This episode didn’t really work for me like the first two.

We’ve seen Sylvie brutally kill members of the TVA, I can’t really sympathize with her.

And Loki seems much weaker than his appearances in the previous movies. Granted he’s not an Asgardian but he was tough enough to take a severe smashing from the Hulk and hold his against Thor. He doesn’t seem anywhere near being that strong in this series.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-23-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    And Loki seems much weaker than his appearances in the previous. Granted he’s not an Asgardian but he was tough enough to take a severe smashing from the Hulk and hold his against Thor. He doesn’t seem anywhere near being that strong in this series.
    This was exactly what I was thinking. Either absolutely everyone he's met since entering the TVA is superhumanly strong, or the writers have forgotten his physical stats.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Yeah it was weird after seeing her brutally kill people in Episode 1 to have Sylvie be far less violent, though I suppose maybe she tools it specifically towards TVA members - other characters she let die were likely going to die anyway. Sylvie probably needs more of her backstory explained though, and the chemistry between her and Loki was quite fun.

They also probably should have alienified the people of Lamentis-1 better, or I would have been led to assume that Earth has got colonizing past the solar system very quickly. Though are they possibly implying that a version of Annihilation is going to happen in the future? Would have been fun to hint at Annhilus or even Galactus there.