Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I enjoyed this episode. The chemistry between Loki and Sylvie is great. I like their constant game of trying to con the other. These character focused episodes always tend to be my favorite. I hope we get another before the series ends.

Astonishing Member

This was an interesting choice of pacing and placement for this episode in the series. I'm not sure if I actually liked it. Its def my least favorite of the 3 so far. To go from boom timeline bomb, multiverse chaos at the end of the last one. To a complete one off basically of only Loki and Sylvie in an apocalypse hideout....

They were trying for some character building here. There were parts I liked but I wanted to get more of her motivations, explanation while they were on the run. I liked how she got Loki to admit he has played on both teams when she asked him if he was into princes or princesses. That was cute.

The problem is with only 6 episodes to have 1 be so standalone and not progress the general plot is A LOT. I mean you need to get right back into the main story next week hard. And they still have to find a way to escape still....are they really going to spend a significant part of next episode on that?

Kind of interesting given the slightly FALLOUT aesthetic of the previous episodes, this kind of felt a bit like THE OUTER WORLDS, a recent game by the Fallout Vegas crew which was basically Fallout in space and without most of the post-apocalyptic stuff.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I suppose this episode is meant to present the big twist that Sylvie isn't really the bad guy, instead the TVA are, but if that was the goal, I don't think it was done very well. She says something about the TVA hunting her all of her life, which would be pretty good justification for her to start hunting them instead ... but yeah, probably would have been better if they'd shown us flashbacks, like where she initially came from, how she ended up on the run from the TVA, and maybe how they're not these clear-cut good guys, like they've presented, so far. If they'd shown how they've had like death squads after her in the past, then suddenly her ambushing all those teams would seem less ... well, evil.

So far though, the TVA have seemed like inept bureacrats, and easy enough to believe they are misguided due to having been brainwashed or lied to ... but then, they're apparently already victims, so her just killing bunches of them just doesn't make her look so great, either. I don't know, I guess just more of her background could have been helpful. Like, with that first scene, I thought they were really going to show what her life was like, before the TVA. She's still a bit too much of a mystery for me to really sympathize with, just yet.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of interesting given the slightly FALLOUT aesthetic of the previous episodes, this kind of felt a bit like THE OUTER WORLDS, a recent game by the Fallout Vegas crew which was basically Fallout in space and without most of the post-apocalyptic stuff.
    And nowhere near the depth of world-building or character development or choices for story flexibility either, if we're comparing The Outer Worlds to Fallout 4 ... or 3 really, for that matter. I cut some slack, because this was a first game while Fallout is obviously a whole franchise, but still it was kind of disappointing. Parvati was the only thing that made TOW kind of awesome, really.

... totally off-topic of Loki, obviously!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

At first I didn't care for the episode, but it has grown on me. Especially loved that Loki started partying and singing in the middle of the apocalypse. That's so him. He was the guy who took over Asgard and, rather than do anything with all that power, just sat around watching self-serving plays about his life. Thor scolded him and said "the nine realms completely in chaos, the enemies of Asgard assembling, plotting our demise"

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Loki and Sylvie have good chemistry, but I'm becoming concerned that her plan isn't going to be shown to be that interesting. I think all those reset charges were set off just to get all the TVA agents away from the HQ - not that she has some grand plan regarding the timeline and those "strategically selected targets" everyone was freeze-framing to read last week. I guess we'll see...
    This was pretty much her plan. Cause a big distraction by creating a bunch of time splits in order to get the headquarters cleared out of people and then she teleports there and takes the golden elevator to go see the Time Lords. Its not stated flat out in the episode, but it was pretty obvious from her questioning of the kidnapped TVA gestapo person.

Personally I was fine with Sylvie's plan being so simple and laser-focused on getting her to the Time Lords. That's consistent with what Loki has been wanting to do for the first two episodes. And really based on Wandavision and FATWS, we all tend to make much more of these series than what they always end up being.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-23-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Are we to just kind of ignore the TVA people Lady Loki...I mean, Sylvie, has vaporized or killed? I mean, it's Loki, so obviously there's a grey area there but I'm not sure if we should be rooting for her for her methods at this point.

I guess either she didn't touch the right spot or the TVA now have a way of blocking her enchantment.

So is Sylvie supposed to be evocative of a transwoman? She treats Loki like it's a dead name and she's a completely new person. I know Loki is gender-fluid in the comics and promotional material marketed him that way here, but that's not really the sense I'm getting from Sylvie, although it's not like Loki is all that surprised to see himself in a female form, but she's apparently been in that form for so long that she views it as her true self. Why even that form? Was her original form still normal Loki and she's really been hiding for so long?

So, yeah, blonde hair, "enchantments," sounds like Enchantress, right? She's even named after the second one. I don't think she's meant to be a stand-in for the actual Enchantress otherwise they would've named her Amora. I still want to see the real Enchantress.

And exactly how different is Sylvie's history from Loki's? She says she was still adopted but apparently Frigga was dead before she could remember her, and she knew she was adopted earlier than Loki did. I get they're being vague about her background to keep the mystique up, but where exactly does she diverge in the timeline? They also deliberately never mention Thor or bring much up of Asgard. She also seems to have more combat experience than main Loki and seems more of a hand-to-hand fighter, but I'm not sure if that's just from being on the run from the TVA for so long.

Low blow pretending to be that woman's husband...only for it turn out they weren't quite a warm and loving couple so pretending it was a joyous reunion was a bad call to begin with.

I guess Captain Marvel is probably averting another planet-wide disaster in 2077...I assume.

Talking about a possible prince in Loki's future makes me think who would most fit in that context from what we know...and the only person I can think of is Thor. I mean, he did die for him.

I would think it would take a lot for someone of Loki's physiology to get drunk, but I'm also thinking to myself that it feels like Loki was more competent and on the ball back when he was a villain.

We find out the first big "lie" of the TVA, that they exist entirely outside of time. Their agents are variants plucked out of time and made to serve them with apparently no memories of their past lives. Is that true for everyone, even Mobius and Revanna? Or are they special? The curtain is starting to unfurl.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I guess either she didn't touch the right spot or the TVA now have a way of blocking her enchantment.
    Magic doesn't work in the TVA, that's why. Her surprise indicates she's probably never been held there like Loki was.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Personally I was fine with Sylvie's plan being so simple and laser-focused on getting her to the Time Lords. That's consistent with what Loki has been wanting to do for the first two episodes. And really based on Wandavision and FATWS, we all tend to make much more of these series than what they always end up being.
    I agree. I’m done speculating because the stories in the previous two series were fairly simple to follow.

I liked the episode and the series but I continue to get thrown off by Asgardians in hand-to-hand combat with humans and losing. They’re shown as durable but not strong. It’s weird to me. The episode was strong action, character work and humorous, so it all worked for me.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I suppose this episode is meant to present the big twist that Sylvie isn't really the bad guy, instead the TVA are, but if that was the goal, I don't think it was done very well. She says something about the TVA hunting her all of her life, which would be pretty good justification for her to start hunting them instead ... but yeah, probably would have been better if they'd shown us flashbacks, like where she initially came from, how she ended up on the run from the TVA, and maybe how they're not these clear-cut good guys, like they've presented, so far. If they'd shown how they've had like death squads after her in the past, then suddenly her ambushing all those teams would seem less ... well, evil.

So far though, the TVA have seemed like inept bureacrats, and easy enough to believe they are misguided due to having been brainwashed or lied to ... but then, they're apparently already victims, so her just killing bunches of them just doesn't make her look so great, either. I don't know, I guess just more of her background could have been helpful. Like, with that first scene, I thought they were really going to show what her life was like, before the TVA. She's still a bit too much of a mystery for me to really sympathize with, just yet.
    Knowing the TVA stooges are variants (and Sylvie knowing it) makes their deaths not bad to me. The real them lived their life. I don’t sympathize with her but I don’t see her as the villain and the TVA as the heroes. Really, they’re all pretty gray so far. I am thinking an overthrow of the TVA is the preferred outcome, though.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Knowing the TVA stooges are variants (and Sylvie knowing it) makes their deaths not bad to me. The real them lived their life. I don’t sympathize with her but I don’t see her as the villain and the TVA as the heroes. Really, they’re all pretty gray so far. I am thinking an overthrow of the TVA is the preferred outcome, though.
    Granted it's not like those Variants know any better, and they're still flesh and blood humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Granted it's not like those Variants know any better, and they're still flesh and blood humans.
    I guess if we're going by Flash rules of time travel, they're basically time remnants, temporal dulplicates with no real place in time and don't really belong anywhere, so I do wonder what happens to all of them if the Loki duo brings down the TVA.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I enjoyed this episode. The chemistry between Loki and Sylvie is great. I like their constant game of trying to con the other. These character focused episodes always tend to be my favorite. I hope we get another before the series ends.
    Me too, it was truly the highlight of this episode and it's confirmed who she is, though there are still a mystery surrounding her that in the episode 4, we probably are going to know, but she clearly has all the Enchantress vibes, even Sylvie Lushton ones (like the fact she taught herself to control her powers without any kind of assistance or a mentor).

Loved the episode. Sylvie and Loki's banter is hilarious.

If the TVA agents are variants and don't know it, who's recruiting them and wiping their memories? Are there certain people like Renslayer who know the truth? I somehow doubt the Time Keepers (if they exist) are doing it themselves. Or are TVA agents who recruit other variants wiped each time they recruit someone so they don't know that all TVA agents are variants? Has Mobius recruited thousands of people over the years and each time thinks he's doing it for the first time? I had thought maybe they were all variants from the Multiversal war, but that female Minuteman was recruited only a hundred(?) years ago so that probably isn't the case and it's an ongoing thing.