Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki

I could be wrong, and maybe there will be an explanation, but I suspect Loki remembers what happened just because he's the POV character, and it's going to be confusing enough with all of the other characters remembering different timelines than the one we saw in season one. If even Loki had been reset, and none of the characters remembered what happened this season, on some level it would feel like it doesn't matter ... you know, Loki needs to remember his relationship with Sylvie, Mobius, how he tried to stop all this from happening ... or else, shortly into the new season, it would start to feel like it doesn't matter for us, since none of the characters remembers any of it.

I mean, an in-universe explanation would be better, yes, but this is reason enough, really.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Am I the only one who absolutely loved Johnathan Majors in this role? I can't wait to see more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Am I the only one who absolutely loved Johnathan Majors in this role? I can't wait to see more of him.
    I'm curious to see how he'll play the actual Kang.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious to see how he'll play the actual Kang.
    He was amazing here and in Lovecraft County so I'm sure he'll do great

I didn't like his performance, but I think it was almost certainly down to the writing. I'm sure he'll be great as other variants.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I didn't like his performance, but I think it was almost certainly down to the writing. I'm sure he'll be great as other variants.
    I didn't like the way the part was written at this juncture is written either. He was way too jocular....maybe he's a bit senile from being alone too long in his citadel. This is a Kang that would have been murdered by any number of variant Kangs

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I didn't like the way the part was written at this juncture is written either. He was way too jocular....maybe he's a bit senile from being alone too long in his citadel. This is a Kang that would have been murdered by any number of variant Kangs
    ...That he wasn't taken out by others would point to there being more than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yes, that does make the most sense - I had even suggested that maybe Mobius recruits people all the time the way he did Loki and just never remembers it. But that was also when I thought Renslayer was in on it -- because then, who mind-erases the mind-erasers? Again, we can think of reasons, but I would like the show to explain it.
    Maybe it's covered next season? My fan theory is Loki goes under cover to investigate the new TVA. Because Mobius doesn't remember him, he could use that to his advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    ...That he wasn't taken out by others would point to there being more than meets the eye.
    The thing is he wasn't actually playing Kang here. This was basically a "good" version of himself that mellowed out and isn't the serious, time-conqueror, Kang is anymore.

Like, the guy who had his statue up in the new TVA? That's the one we need to worry about.

Yah I agree, for a new villain his introduction was in a lackluster, pretty non-threatening way. The flippant, tired-of-life guy was a bit like the Thanos that Thor beheaded. Can you imagine if Thanos had been introduced as that guy rather than the guy behind a full-scale invasion of New York?

Expect a full, actual introduction of the real Kang in Spider-Man
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The thing is he wasn't actually playing Kang here. This was basically a "good" version of himself that mellowed out and isn't the serious, time-conqueror, Kang is anymore.

Like, the guy who had his statue up in the new TVA? That's the one we need to worry about.
    Yeah, but Loki said he was terrifying. But he really, really wasn't.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah I agree, for a new villain his introduction was in a lackluster, pretty non-threatening way. The flippant, tired-of-life guy was a bit like the Thanos that Thor beheaded. Can you imagine if Thanos had been introduced as that guy rather than the guy behind a full-scale invasion of New York?

Yeah, like I said earlier.....a decoy. Now in the comics it very heavily hinted that Kang is either a descendant of Nathaniel Richards or Doctor Doom. Stan and Jack took the Doom path first but later Byrne made some implications that Nathaniel Richards is the ancestor since he traveled to the future when his first wife died and then married again. There was a child that was the result.

With the MCU getting deeper into the multiverse concept I wonder if it will lead to Hickman's Secret War 2015. Prior to that, college-aged Reed, Ben and Victor were recruited to help Reed's father survive the Great Hunt. All the multiverse Nathaniels were commanded by Immortus to battle each other until there would only be one survivor. In the page below for example, it appears that the version of Nathaniel that appeared in the Tom DeFalco/Paul Ryan FF is one of the victims. He was always a strange bird to be because with that eyepiece he doesn't look like Byrne's version. Makes me wonder if from now one we will be seeing more of Hickman-influenced things going on in with the MCU

But this does bring up something related to the casting of Kang in the MCU. I'm assuming that since they've gone with a Black actor for the role that there will be no relationship between Kang and the Richards family. Or then we get back to the idea this Kang is just a variant. I say that because for the most part, the characters that appear in the comics are usually the originals. We've seen variants appear in the comics for quite a while. Reed himself had a variant of himself called the Beast. Also in the comics there were fewer variants of Reed because the Mad Celestials were tracking them down and killing them in Hickman's Fantastic Four. Reed had invented a device called the Bridge which he used to observe alternate universes.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-15-2021 at 03:28 PM.

If you want to get technical the only time Kang appears is when we see his giant statue ominously overlooking the TVA.
    Yeah, but Loki said he was terrifying. But he really, really wasn't.
    I think he was talking more the idea of what HWA was afraid of (Kang) than He Who Remains himself. He wasn't trying to be terrifying, but the idea of what they would be unleashing was.

Ok that would be one crazy way to introduce Dr. Doom - as one of many Kang variants. I like it, though, there might actually be a chance of me liking Kang if that were the case. Plus it would immediately make Doom into who he ought to be - a genuine multiversal threat.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I didn't see anything lackluster in the conclusion here, as played he was really compelling and made what otherwise would have been a dull infodump into something worth listening to.