Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I liked the show but I did feel like they really underpowered Loki for this series.

They did. It was a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It makes no sense.

Why did killing HWR instantly start the timeline going whackado? His castle was a the end of time, he said he's seen it all, so it all must have happened. He already pruned any version of himself that would have been evil and had essentially "won".
    It actually started before that, as soon as they got past the point he could forsee it started branching and he even made mention of it. And it's the kind of thing that happens exponentially, after a point it's not just timelines branching off from the "sacred" timeline, but alternate timelines branchings off of other alternate timelines until there's infinite realities. Basically the "pruning" of the sacred timeline must have had to be a continuous effort, basically pruning his alternate selves once isn't enough, as soon as the timeline is unattended it starts branching back to it's natural state and new alternate versions of him start being born.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 07-16-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

I liked the show but I did feel like they really underpowered Loki for this series.
    They made up for it by overdoing his fighting ability. Comic Loki has always been subpar in physical combat.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    They made up for it by overdoing his fighting ability. Comic Loki has always been subpar in physical combat.
    He didn't seem impressive on that front either, at least compared to Sylvie.

And this is the same guy who went toe-to-toe with Thor.

Ultimate Member

Agreed 100%.

He seemed so physically weak but had the uber telekinetic feat that came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    I think the answer is person matters much less than action. So for example you could take Tom Holland Spiderman and put him in Loki's position and as long as he acted exactly as Loki was supposed to...he would not be pruned. So in case of gator loki, lets imagine a verse exists where everyone is some sort of animal but everything happens exactly as they should....until a certain point.

because the TVA is now about preserving a timeline as much as it is preventing a different Kaang.
    But Sylvie and Loki weren't in the same timeline regardless of their actions, and there's supposed to be only one timeline, no? Are we saying that the TVA allows for alternate universes as long as they all follow some prescribed flow of events? When was that explained in the show - it seemed to me they were saying there can be only one version of anyone. Honestly, the whole thing started unraveling to me when it seems a "nexus event" can happen without the result of someone intentionally messing with time. (which is how Loki ended up branching) Are we to think there was still a Sylvie out there who didn't break from the Sacred timeline? (the way original Loki went on to Ragnarok and Infinity War) I don't want to dive into this rabbit hole any more than I did after "Endgame" but it strikes me as inconsistent.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-16-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Very much so - it's like they completely forgot he had super-human strength. I felt they made him more incompetent than he should be, too. The show did make him sympathetic, though, so that's something.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    But Sylvie and Loki weren't in the same timeline regardless of their actions, and there's supposed to be only one timeline, no? Are we saying that the TVA allows for alternate universes as long as they all follow some prescribed flow of events? When was that explained in the show - it seemed to me they were saying there can be only one version of anyone. Honestly, the whole thing started unraveling to me when it seems a "nexus event" can happen without the result of someone intentionally messing with time. (which is how Loki ended up branching) Are we to think there was still a Sylvie out there who didn't break from the Sacred timeline? (the way original Loki went on to Ragnarok and Infinity War) I don't want to dive into this rabbit hole any more than I did after "Endgame" but it strikes me as inconsistent.
    The TVA doesn't mind branch timelines as long as it doesn't result in a Kang. That's why the Avengers we're seem as a threat. They're actions wouldn't create a timeline with a Kang in it. It had nothing to do with other people. HWR only cares about himself (literally lol)

Mighty Member

I liked the finale, it was not your usual MCU big battle and even though it was an info dump it was still entertaining. Also liked that technically the protagonist lost, even though I don't think the choices given to Sylvie and Loki as presented by HWR are necessarily the only two choices.

I also feel that the "nexus event" that HWR felt in this episode is one he created with whatever information he had Miss Minutes give to Renslayer, after all, he may be the nicest Kang but he is still a Kang.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 07-17-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The TVA doesn't mind branch timelines as long as it doesn't result in a Kang. That's why the Avengers we're seem as a threat. They're actions wouldn't create a timeline with a Kang in it. It had nothing to do with other people. HWR only cares about himself (literally lol)
    Thanks. I'll have to rethink this series based on that motivation. I guess that makes ... some sense...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Finally someone got it. Thank you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Secondly, time branches and alternate universes are the same thing.
    No, not the same thing. At all.

Extraordinary Member

The alt universe mechanics of this show def need to be written and explained better.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    No, not the same thing. At all.
    In this context, yes they are.

Incredible Member

If there is only one timeline, is (was, whatever) Old Loki actually Prime Loki? Old Loki created an illusion of Thanos killing him and skipped town. He wasn't pruned until he decided to try to make himself know again, which was centuries or millennia later.

So he's either the Prime Loki grown old, or there are multiple timelines in existence in addition to the sacred timeline because Old Loki was allowed to grow old.
    Sounds perfect.