Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Maybe because the more popular one thing is, the more counterfit it will have.
    The Justice League being much more popular than the Avengers (up until the DCU poped-in), it explains it all.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Maybe because the more popular one thing is, the more counterfit it will have.
    The Justice League being much more popular than the Avengers (up until the DCU poped-in), it explains it all.
    The tables have turned! But hopefully the JL can regain some of its former glory in the general public's eyes

Mighty Member

The 1960s Inferior Five comic had the first take off on The Avengers, right?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I...don’t think so.
    Merryman was the son of the Patriot and Lady Liberty (Uncle Sam and Quality Comics' Miss America parodies).

Awkwardman was the son of Mr. Might (Superman parody) and the Mermaid (a female Aquaman parody).

The Blimp was the son of Captain Swift (Flash parody).

White Feather was the son of The Bowman (Green Arrow parody).

Dumb Bunny was the daughter of Princess Power and Steve Tremor (WW, Steve Trevor parodies).

Astonishing Member

I am guessing since a lot of these were made well not durring this decade (last one work with me), and the Avengers popularity only really started to rise with the MCU. Yes there were others but really unless a comic fan people most likely didn't know about the Avengers. The Justice League on the other hand were more out there in other entertainmaent platforms, as such people when making a parody/counterpart most likely would use the bigger brand.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    DC actually have two Avengers type teams, The Champions of Angor who debuted in 1971, and The Maximums who debuted in 2005.

The difference between those teams and The Squadron Supreme is, no one at DC has ever put much effort into fleshing them out and making them more than parodies.
    Giffen and DeMatteis brought The Champions back Post Crisis, but they quickly faded away again. The Maximums haven’t even gotten that little bit of love.

DC didn't do much with these versions true, but 2 members of that team did go on to be members of the Justice League for many years. Silver Sorceress and Blue Jay were both pretty cool characters.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I am guessing since a lot of these were made well not durring this decade (last one work with me), and the Avengers popularity only really started to rise with the MCU. Yes there were others but really unless a comic fan people most likely didn't know about the Avengers. The Justice League on the other hand were more out there in other entertainmaent platforms, as such people when making a parody/counterpart most likely would use the bigger brand.
    The Avengers did have a 60s cartoon. Idk how popular it was, and they somewhat fell from the general public's view until the last 13 years or so. Honestly to me it seems like direct parody media isn't as popular anymore

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I...don’t think so.
    Merryman was the son of the Patriot and Lady Liberty (Uncle Sam and Quality Comics' Miss America parodies).

Awkwardman was the son of Mr. Might (Superman parody) and the Mermaid (a female Aquaman parody).

The Blimp was the son of Captain Swift (Flash parody).

White Feather was the son of The Bowman (Green Arrow parody).

Dumb Bunny was the daughter of Princess Power and Steve Tremor (WW, Steve Trevor parodies).
    In the Inferior Five it was not the Inferior 5 themselves the Avengers parody, but mostly as adversaries. And not only the Avengers, but several Marvel characters: There were parodies of the Hulk (Mountain Man), Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, of the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Namor, Thor (who was escaping from an evil guy called Stan who wanted shave his beard and dyed his natural red hair as blonde), the X-men and so.

The jabs between editorial comes from a long time ago.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The Avengers did have a 60s cartoon. Idk how popular it was, and they somewhat fell from the general public's view until the last 13 years or so. Honestly to me it seems like direct parody media isn't as popular anymore
    They didn't - there was a Marvel Super Heroes cartoon, but it was solo stories, for Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Namor, and Thor, not the Avengers team. The first Avengers cartoon was in the 90s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They didn't - there was a Marvel Super Heroes cartoon, but it was solo stories, for Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Namor, and Thor, not the Avengers team. The first Avengers cartoon was in the 90s.
    haha, yeah, that's what I meant. I've never seen much of it though. But those characters did exist in the public consciousness to some extent

haha, yeah, that's what I meant. I've never seen much of it though. But those characters did exist in the public consciousness to some extent
    DC had a leg up on Marvel in terms of public consciousness thanks to the Super Friends cartoon. That thing was around (under a few different names) for just over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    In the Inferior Five it was not the Inferior 5 themselves the Avengers parody, but mostly as adversaries. And not only the Avengers, but several Marvel characters: There were parodies of the Hulk (Mountain Man), Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, of the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Namor, Thor (who was escaping from an evil guy called Stan who wanted shave his beard and dyed his natural red hair as blonde), the X-men and so.

The jabs between editorial comes from a long time ago.
    Interesting. I didn’t realize the poster I replied to was asking about Inferior Five villains.
    Oddly, they had a Silver Sorceress (the Scarlet Witch expy you mentioned) in their rogues gallery that had no connection to the Champions of Angor Silver Sorceress.

Silver Sorceress (the Angor version) always reminded me of the Mystery Men movie’s Blue Rajah, in that her costume had no actual silver coloring to it!
    Last edited by Riv86672; 04-06-2021 at 03:08 PM.

The Avengers appeared in multiple Cap episodes, one Hulk, one Thor episode and one Sub-Mariner if I’m not mistaken. Only Iron Man didn’t have an episode ironically.

Mark Millar had an Avengerrs team be throughly massacred by his Authority (oddly enough, a copy of the JLA themselves), in his and Quietly's run. But, it's better left forgotten. I prefer the Champions of Angor or the Maximums.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    The Avengers appeared in multiple Cap episodes, one Hulk, one Thor episode and one Sub-Mariner if I’m not mistaken. Only Iron Man didn’t have an episode ironically.
    Yeah, I think Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver all appeared. I don't think Black Panther, Vision, Captain Marvel or Falcon did

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Mark Millar had an Avengerrs team be throughly massacred by his Authority (oddly enough, a copy of the JLA themselves), in his and Quietly's run. But, it's better left forgotten. I prefer the Champions of Angor or the Maximums.

Peace
    Oh man. The Americans...

...they were really memorable, despite not lasting long.