Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

theres the Unstoppables from the Fallout series:

while they likely individually have more in common with the justice league i think theyre a send-up of any hero team, also mixed with fallout's homages to pulp comics in general

and venture bros has the Crusader Action League which is also mixed of JL and avengers, but they def have more overt avengers references

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I...don’t think so.
    Merryman was the son of the Patriot and Lady Liberty (Uncle Sam and Quality Comics' Miss America parodies).

Awkwardman was the son of Mr. Might (Superman parody) and the Mermaid (a female Aquaman parody).

The Blimp was the son of Captain Swift (Flash parody).

White Feather was the son of The Bowman (Green Arrow parody).

Dumb Bunny was the daughter of Princess Power and Steve Tremor (WW, Steve Trevor parodies).
    I looked up some old IF books: the team tangled with their parents arch enemies who were evil versions of The Avengers at that time

The Masked Swastika for Captai. America
    The Sparrow for Hawkeye
    Speed Demon (!) for Quicksilver
    The Silver Sorceress for Scarlet Witch
    Even a Hulk expy: Man -Mountain.

Honestly, one of the first things that came to mind:

Definitely remember this from back in the day. Before we had a proper JLA/Avengers crossover, we had the Authority take on the Americans.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

The answer is very simple.

Up until 2012, the Justice League was considerably more popular than the Avengers. Majority of the parodies the OP referred to were done before the first Avengers.

We’re in 2021 and that really isn’t the case anymore with the Avengers being far more prominent in pop culture than the JL. Nowadays, the average non-comic book fan thinks that every single generic superhero team-up is the Avengers. Heck, I’ve had people ask why WW wasn’t an Avenger back then.

Massive blockbuster movies tend to influence the zeitgeist massively.

Ultimate Member

WW in an Avengers movie? Will Luke Skywalker show up too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    WW in an Avengers movie? Will Luke Skywalker show up too?
    Yeah it's pretty ridiculous but I've seen crazier questions... conclusions Coming from MCU Fans
    :/
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Maybe doesn't count, but I always thought the Justice Friends came pretty close...

I used LOVE these guys when I was little, the monkey too (forgot his name).
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Wasn't the monkey from a short called Dial M for Monkey? Did he even have a name besides Monkey? (The short's name was a spoof on Dial H for Hero).

Yeah, I think Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver all appeared. I don't think Black Panther, Vision, Captain Marvel or Falcon did
    Yeah, Falcon didn't even debut until the 1970s. Mar-Vell debuted in 1968, Vision was also around then? Black Panther's early appearances were in Fantastic Four. I think the cartoon just predated those four being Avengers - the stories were lifted straight from the comics, even using the artwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    The Avengers appeared in multiple Cap episodes, one Hulk, one Thor episode and one Sub-Mariner if I’m not mistaken. Only Iron Man didn’t have an episode ironically.
    Makes sense - Steve lived full time at Avengers Mansion after all, and for a while his solo stuff was World War II flashbacks - stories that weren't would likely have featured the Avengers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Justice League simply has a more Iconic line up and is seen as the more Iconic team. Also many of those member are synonymous with superheroes genre with many being the originator/codifier of an superhero archetype like Superman is THE brick archetype, Batman is THE dark hero, Flash is THE speed Hero, etc Marvel has several heroes who are equivalent of this like Wolverine, Spiderman, Dr. Strange but they aren't on one team and has years of stories together.

Big and Iconic just works better for general audiences and fans which is why Justice League knock offs get used more. That is why you don't see Marvel ones as much because quite frankly alot of classic Avengers line up are meh. If I was using the Avengers knock offs it would be composite group like

Captain Marvel (Supergirl/Captain America) THE patriot and powerhouse brick
    Black Panther( Iron Man/Batman/Captain America) THE tech Hero and rich guy
    Ares( Thor/Wolverine) THE team friendly antihero and The reckless hero
    Dr. Strange( THE Magic hero)
    Hulk( THE monster)
    Spiderman(THE teen hero)

That is why Justice League knockoffs work so well because everyone is a clear power type or a role. In glance you can generally what the character is suppose to be doing and you get their personality. That is a little bit harder to with Marvel characters and the Avengers team BUT I am pretty sure this goes better if you ask for Fantastic Four knock offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yup. Have some of them.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    WTH is Dee Dee trying to eat Dexter on two of those covers?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    His name...was Monkey!

Dexter thr show was funny, especially with Mandark.

IMO the 90s is when televised cartoons started to be good
    Agreed. Dexter's Laboratory & PPG '98 are My Top Two favorites from this time period...

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Dexter's pet lab monkey is known only as Monkey. Whenever Dexter isn't looking, Monkey transforms into a super-powered monkey named...

Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't the monkey from a short called Dial M for Monkey? Did he even have a name besides Monkey? (The short's name was a spoof on Dial H for Hero).
    Correct. Dial M for Monkey was also a reference to Alfred Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder (1954):

https://dexterslab.fandom.com/wiki/D...nder%20General.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-07-2021 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dam Dexter used to be soooo good
    To the utmost, I agree

WTH is Dee Dee trying to eat Dexter on two of those covers?!?
    Beats me. Just grabbed three random covers from google.

Here are three more.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Justice League simply has a more Iconic line up and is seen as the more Iconic team. Also many of those member are synonymous with superheroes genre with many being the originator/codifier of an superhero archetype like Superman is THE brick archetype, Batman is THE dark hero, Flash is THE speed Hero, etc Marvel has several heroes who are equivalent of this like Wolverine, Spiderman, Dr. Strange but they aren't on one team and has years of stories together.

Big and Iconic just works better for general audiences and fans which is why Justice League knock offs get used more. That is why you don't see Marvel ones as much because quite frankly alot of classic Avengers line up are meh. If I was using the Avengers knock offs it would be composite group like

Captain Marvel (Supergirl/Captain America) THE patriot and powerhouse brick
    Black Panther( Iron Man/Batman/Captain America) THE tech Hero and rich guy
    Ares( Thor/Wolverine) THE team friendly antihero and The reckless hero
    Dr. Strange( THE Magic hero)
    Hulk( THE monster)
    Spiderman(THE teen hero)

That is why Justice League knockoffs work so well because everyone is a clear power type or a role. In glance you can generally what the character is suppose to be doing and you get their personality. That is a little bit harder to with Marvel characters and the Avengers team BUT I am pretty sure this goes better if you ask for Fantastic Four knock offs.
    I honestly really like that lineup idea.