Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Considering the MCU has a global fanbase and Marvel comics are most popular in America, yes. I doubt China even publishes Marvel comics.
    After reading the last several posts, I Googled Marvel Comics published in China.
    Check this out, it’s from the 1940s...:

And 1980s I think...:

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Do you really think it's that high?
    All my friends. All my family. All my co workers and none of them have read a comic book but saw all the movies. I have to answer questions about characters all of the time.

Not avengers (but avengers are in the team) but don't forget the marvel and dc gag crossover event "the crusaders" with marvel fighting a freedom force like team and dcs freedom force fighting a invaders based team!

https://comiccoverage.typepad.com/co...crossover.html

Back when marvel and dc did these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Not avengers (but avengers are in the team) but don't forget the marvel and dc gag crossover event "the crusaders" with marvel fighting a freedom force like team and dcs freedom force fighting a invaders based team!

That’s pretty neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    After reading the last several posts, I Googled Marvel Comics published in China.
    Check this out, it’s from the 1940s...:

And 1980s I think...:

Wooooow. Well China and America were on the same side in WWII.

I'm surprised any issues made it in the 80's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

I loved when this kind of stuff happened. Another exemple of how the Squadron Supreme / Sinister and the Champions of Angor were born. Nowadays, with the big coorporations, this kind of fun stuff can't happen.

Peace

In the latest Suicide Squad issue the team faces Earth 8's Mightiest Heroes, the Retaliators. They seem vaguely familiar.

ss11.jpg
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I'd also argue that to a lot of people who grew up with comics and are doing things in creative industries now, the big Marvel team in their time was the X-Men. The League was supplanted by the Teen Titans for a bit in the 80s, but found its way back to the top, whereas X-Men had solid years of being THE go-to Marvel property, since Giant-Sized X-Men #1. I'd say the Avengers really only reclaimed their top position when Bendis stepped in to write them, combined with the creation of the MCU. Everyone always knew who Superman and Batman were, but now everyone knows who Iron Man and Black Widow are, too.

I suspect we'll see an uptick in Avengers-knockoffs in the next ten years, when a bunch of kids who grew up on the early MCU films enter the creative workforce in various capacities.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 01-05-2022 at 03:19 PM.

also, at some points in Avengers history, the team itself has become a JLA pastiche... especially some the bigger lineups, which have almost a direct 1:1 correlation to some JLA line-ups... to wit:

-the respective "Trinities"
    -Ms Marvel (Carol) or Captain Marvel (Monica)/Green Lantern
    -Hawkeye/Green Arrow
    -Hellcat, later Mockingbird/Black Canary
    -Quicksilver/Flash
    -Scarlet Witch/Zatanna
    -Vision/Red Tornado
    -Hank Pym/Ray Palmer
    -Falcon/Hawkman
    -Wasp/Hawkwoman (Avengers had a size changing couple instead of a bird-themed couple)
    -Moondragon/Martian Manhunter
    -Namor/Aquaman
    -Wonder Man/Firestorm
    -Tigra/Vixen

I could go on but the point is, the Avengers often became a pastiche of the League themselves, and if one is going to copy an idea, copying the original is usually a better way to go than knocking-off someone else's knock-off

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    the avengers don't have as iconic or stable of a line up
    plus it feels like marvel comics in general rarely inspires knockoffs
    Okay, then can you name one Marvel hero that isn't a knockoff or discount character.

Extraordinary Member

I haven’t gone through this thread, but I hope you included the Justice Friends from Dexter’s Lab.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I'd pondered that myself. The Justice League and it's members have a plurality of clones and copycats in pop culture.

Squadron Supreme - Marvel
    Ultraforce - Marvel/Malibu
    The Great Society - Marvel
    Jupiter's Legacy - Image & Netflix
    Invincible/Guardian's of the Globe - Image & Amazon
    Justice Force - TMNT/Mirage/Dark Horse

You would need another category for all the Superman inspired characters running around the Marvel Universe. Gladiator (Kallark), Sentry, Hyperion, Blue Marvel, Count Nefario, Superior (Icon imprint of Marvel), arguably Thor. They love Superman over at Marvel.

I can't think of any Avengers pastiches. At least not one where if you just looked at the roster, you would think "Assemble".
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-22-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I guess you all ceased watching the Simpsons a long time ago, did you?

I stopped few years ago. Mrs Krabapel and Skinner where going to marry but everything blown up for obvious reasons...After that..I just stopped. Surprised they are still going...probably not even thermal death of universe will stop the series...kind of like Law and Order or NCIS....they still go but God help if I know why and who watch them...someone for sure but is so weird at times....

As for the original question, don't forget that comic books are a niche market (even nowadays), and general audiences would not catch jokes about them. Superman and Batman are part of the "collective knowledge" since a long time ago, everybody knows how do they look like and what is their deal, so jokes and parodies work even if you don't read them. But The Avengers? The general public only knows about them since 2012, the successful film. That was just a decade ago. In any other venue older than that, a parody of the Avengers would have sounded flat.

And more from the Simpsons