Default Swamp Thing #2 Review and spoiler discussion

Another day, another great Swamp Thing comic. Before I even get into the story or anything I just want to congratulate Mike Perkins on art and all the inkers and etc. who work on this book because it just looks great. Not only is it very creepy and twisted where it needs to be but this issue also kind of shows that it can be beautiful (the tree) and trippy (The Green segments) as well. The art really compliments the story well and it deserves some praise.

As for the story itself I would say that issue 2 is definitely Levi coming into his own as the different type of Swamp Thing that he is while trying to take on the Pale Wanderer but also a start of rooting him in both the dc universe and classic Swamp Thing lore. But the real big part here are the more human elements, Levi and Jennifer trying to deal with what Levi is becoming, the old town Sheriff trying to deal with the horror of the pale wanderer, and Levi exploring his past. But at the end of the day we came for a monster fight and i think the issue delivers as Levi handles his first villain. Overall its a good issue and honestly if Ram V says we can get more after this mini by buying and supporting the book then that is what I am doing, because this series is great so far.

Now onto the connective tissue I was talking about, well first I'm not even going to hide the first one because its pretty plainly obvious, Batman catches on the news the end result of Levi's fight. So yeah Batman is now tangentially aware of a new Swamp Thing. Honestly its not that big a deal and with Poison Ivy supposedly showing up in an issue or two I can see why he would get involved.

The next thing is the bigger part that I'm going to label in spoilers and say read at your own risk, because its about those people who have been following Levi and taking his picture.

spoilers:
    Well they are working for Prescot Industries, personally that doesn't mean much at first until you see a board room and see two files that clearly read: 1. The Holland Phenomenon and 2. Mergers and Aquistions: Sunderland Corperation. That's right the big bad sneaking around in the back is whoever takes over for Alec's old villain Mr. Sunderland which how this is apparently going to tie back into Swamp Thing stories.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I know of Swamp Thing but never got into him as a character. I thought it was a good issue and curious to see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I know of Swamp Thing but never got into him as a character. I thought it was a good issue and curious to see what happens next.
    Don't worry I'm not much better, I just watched the TV show and did a bit of wiki reading for research. This is actually the second stand alone series starring Swamp Thing I've ever read, after the New 52 run.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Don't worry I'm not much better, I just watched the TV show and did a bit of wiki reading for research. This is actually the second stand alone series starring Swamp Thing I've ever read, after the New 52 run.
    I saw Levi as a modern day Alec Holland. I selfishly want him to not be stuck as Swamp Thing. If he can shift between forms, I'd prefer that over him just being Swamp Thing 24/7. I'd be ok with some kinda day/night structure like Immortal Hulk.

He could be an Agent of the Green but not necessarily Swamp Thing. It would be cool if he got his own title.

How was the New 52 run?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-06-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    How was the New 52 run?
    First half by Snyder had ups and downs, but second part by Soule was great.

Art is great, writing for me was a bit better than in previous issue and glad that we are already done with Pale Wanderer.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Mike Perkins is KILLING IT.
    Great to see too. He is a brilliant artist!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Not too bad. It's a little slow moving but it has my interest. I do like the creepy horror vibe they are going for which is very well portrayed by the awesome art.

Not blown away but intrigued enough to continue for now.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

BANNED

This was pretty good, looking forward to how Alec Holland fits into all this.

Glad to have at least few DC titles to pull with Infinite Frontier, between this and Justice League.