Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    One problem I have with Marvel is a lack of creativity. Such as the use of female versions of Octopus and Electro ( neither of which tops the original). If Marvel wants Peter to fight a female adversary, why not create new female enemies instead? Along the same lines: Using the Mephisto deal and Clone Saga for Miles instead of new storylines? Basically retread villains and retread ideas.
    What was the last major female original villain they created? Screwball? Paper Doll? Sajani?

It's kind of funny to me that Electro is the only member of the Sinister Syndicate whose male counterpart is dead.

Peter's female villain problem is so bad the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon had to turn Black Cat into a villain-of-the-week and make Silver Sable Doc Ock's terrorist fangirl.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What was the last major female original villain they created? Screwball? Paper Doll? Sajani?

It's kind of funny to me that Electro is the only member of the Sinister Syndicate whose male counterpart is dead.

Peter's female villain problem is so bad the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon had to turn Black Cat into a villain-of-the-week and make Silver Sable Doc Ock's terrorist fangirl.
    Amen to that.In the comics both are anti-heroes at worst and straight up heroes at best.We really need some original and cool female foes for Spidey.The kind thats stick long term

Mighty Member

There are still Actors like Denzel Washington who excel at action, just like actors of the past such as Eastwood, Wayne, Stewart or Cooper, were at their best playing in action films but could do comedy or drama as well. That is something that Dissel cannot do. Even when it comes to car scenes, Dissel cannot compare to say a Steve McQueen in Bullett, The Getaway or LeMans. McQueen also did his own stunts without a bunch of special effects. I will take a Denzel, McQueen or Gary Cooper over anyone today for that reason.
    I mean yeah, but if you want to see a car to act like an Avenger, you're not going to get that with The Getaway.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I mean to be honest, the last Spider-man villain that has gained any kind of popularity was Mister Negative back when these characters first appeared.

Really, there's an issue mostly with creating new villains, but honestly, it must be hard to create new characters that will be accepted into the audience.
    It took about 10 years for Mister Negative to even gain any sort of traction.

Personally, I like Screwball a lot more and think she has far more potential to be a fun Spider-man villain.
    Also with the Beatle running about, I'd say the latest version of that also has potential to be a bigger threat down the line.

By the way, Screwball is the best part of Brand New Day, for an era that felt like a rejection of anything People liked about Spider-man, she was the only character that felt like a classic Spider-man villain in the current age.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I mean to be honest, the last Spider-man villain that has gained any kind of popularity was Mister Negative back when these characters first appeared.

Really, there's an issue mostly with creating new villains, but honestly, it must be hard to create new characters that will be accepted into the audience.

Personally, I like Screwball a lot more and think she has far more potential to be a fun Spider-man villain.
    Also with the Beatle running about, I'd say the latest version of that also has potential to be a bigger threat down the line.

By the way, Screwball is the best part of Brand New Day, for an era that felt like a rejection of anything People liked about Spider-man, she was the only character that felt like a classic Spider-man villain in the current age.
    I think the Ps4 game helped out Li a lot.

I think after the PS4 game no one wants to even hear the name Screwball .

Astonishing Member

I mean yeah, but if you want to see a car to act like an Avenger, you're not going to get that with The Getaway.
    I know cars in The Fast and The Furious are like Avengers and I like them ( except Tokyo Drift), but if someone wants to see a great chase scene without special effects check out Mr. Majestyk with Charles Bronson and Linda Cristal ( boy was she hot) in a white pickup truck versus Al Lettieri and his fellow mobsters. ps. If you do not know who Lettieri was he played “The Turk” Sollozzo in The Godfather and said the classic line about “Sleeping With The Fish.” I guess comparing the classics like Mr. Majestyk and Bullitt to Fast And The Furious and Death Race ( Statham and the extraordinary hot Natalie Martinez) are like comparing Ditko and Romita originals to Spencer. We know which are technically superior( the modern stories), but the classics are better stories and are timeless:

Mighty Member

I agree, there's a time and place for both great car chases and when you want to see a car fly through a tall building.
    I'll always appreciate something like Blues Brothers and well done that car chase was.

And yeah, the PS4 game did screwball dirty and really helped out Mister Negative. I don't like Mister Negative in the comics, I think he is a silly villain. But the game actually did him rather well.

I'm going to put a lot of that down to the fact that the era he came from was just awful, which is a shame as I like most of the writers on it

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=FFJamie94;5483378]I agree, there's a time and place for both great car chases and when you want to see a car fly through a tall building.
    I'll always appreciate something like Blues Brothers and well done that car chase was.

And yeah, the PS4 game did screwball dirty and really helped out Mister Negative. I don't like Mister Negative in the comics, I think he is a silly villain. But the game actually did him rather well.

I'm going to put a lot of that down to the fact that the era he came from was just awful, which is a shame as I like most of the writers on it[/QUOTE
    Mr. Negative is a lot better then most of Dan Slott’s output. I can honestly say that he might be the fourth or fifth best Peter villain Post Silver Age. 1: Eddie. 2: Cletus. 3: Kingsley. Him or Kindred would be fourth or fifth. As far as the ladies are concerned, I Mentioned the possibility of moving Star into Peter’s Rogues Gallery. The Carnage version of MJ might also be an interesting match-up. Imagine Peter having to fight a version of MJ, and MJ seeing an evil version of herself?

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=NC_Yankee;5483538]
    I agree, there's a time and place for both great car chases and when you want to see a car fly through a tall building.

I'm going to put a lot of that down to the fact that the era he came from was just awful, which is a shame as I like most of the writers on it[/QUOTE
    Mr. Negative is a lot better then most of Dan Slott’s output. I can honestly say that he might be the fourth or fifth best Peter villain Post Silver Age. 1: Eddie. 2: Cletus. 3: Kingsley. Him or Kindred would be fourth or fifth. As far as the ladies are concerned, I Mentioned the possibility of moving Star into Peter’s Rogues Gallery. The Carnage version of MJ might also be an interesting match-up. Imagine Peter having to fight a version of MJ, and MJ seeing an evil version of herself?
    I think turning MJ into a villain would be a bit much, especially since she would have no motivation.

I wouldn't mind seeing a relative of Aunt May, like maybe a sister of a cousin be a villain. There's probably some interesting things there.

The funny thing about Mister Negative was that he was created by Slott. But yeah, personally, I'm like warm on Slott's output anyway. I think his Big Time was good and his superior was great and that's really it for me.
    I don't like that first BND arc at all...

But yeah, Mister Negative from the games is one of the better villains in Spider-man's rogue gallery. The problem with his rogues gallery is that it's rather full with unique and interesting characters, but only Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Carnage can be considered event level major threats.
    To me, that's more than most heroes, especially as it's hard to even pin down his nemesis.

[QUOTE=FFJamie94;5483564]

I think turning MJ into a villain would be a bit much, especially since she would have no motivation.

I wouldn't mind seeing a relative of Aunt May, like maybe a sister of a cousin be a villain. There's probably some interesting things there.

The funny thing about Mister Negative was that he was created by Slott. But yeah, personally, I'm like warm on Slott's output anyway. I think his Big Time was good and his superior was great and that's really it for me.
    I don't like that first BND arc at all...

But yeah, Mister Negative from the games is one of the better villains in Spider-man's rogue gallery. The problem with his rogues gallery is that it's rather full with unique and interesting characters, but only Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Carnage can be considered event level major threats.
    To me, that's more than most heroes, especially as it's hard to even pin down his nemesis.
    I feel like we were a year or two away from a villainous MJ in the last era.

One problem I have with Marvel is a lack of creativity. Such as the use of female versions of Octopus and Electro ( neither of which tops the original). If Marvel wants Peter to fight a female adversary, why not create new female enemies instead? Along the same lines: Using the Mephisto deal and Clone Saga for Miles instead of new storylines? Basically retread villains and retread ideas.
    Yeah, for sure. Look at the Batman books right now, they keep populating the book with new villains/anti-heroes out there left and right almost every couple months just seeing what sticks and so far some of them have been pretty popular already. Some of them fit into molds that older characters do but having Punchline fills a void when Harley Quinn isn't who she started out as anymore, and she isn't just a replacement still called Harley Quinn. Ghostmaker is another one that's been pretty popular, more of an anti-hero but still. Another new Batman book is starting up written by Tom Taylor with another new villain, too.

The attempts over in Spidey land recently are just more things that cling to the past and technically aren't even really new characters. Kindred is cool but it was never gonna be somebody new, it's just a new dynamic on the Parker/Osborn rivalry. I think that lame Cadaverous villain from the Abrams Spidey mini was revealed to just be Anton Vanko from Iron Man or something, great.

Part of me wonders if the lack of real new villains has to do with the fact that Marvel creators are just more hesitant to "give" Marvel new characters when they could see more from them in their own creator-owned books. It seems like when they do create new villains they prefer to see them through to the end and kill them off before their run ends, like Knull. I mean, now they exist and other writers can do what they please after but a character like that has served its purpose at this point, rather than like the oldschool Stan Lee ideology of "don't kill em off! We gotta be able to keep using em!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Yeah, for sure. Look at the Batman books right now, they keep populating the book with new villains/anti-heroes out there left and right almost every couple months just seeing what sticks and so far some of them have been pretty popular already. Some of them fit into molds that older characters do but having Punchline fills a void when Harley Quinn isn't who she started out as anymore, and she isn't just a replacement still called Harley Quinn. Ghostmaker is another one that's been pretty popular, more of an anti-hero but still. Another new Batman book is starting up written by Tom Taylor with another new villain, too.

The attempts over in Spidey land recently are just more things that cling to the past and technically aren't even really new characters. Kindred is cool but it was never gonna be somebody new, it's just a new dynamic on the Parker/Osborn rivalry. I think that lame Cadaverous villain from the Abrams Spidey mini was revealed to just be Anton Vanko from Iron Man or something, great.

Part of me wonders if the lack of real new villains has to do with the fact that Marvel creators are just more hesitant to "give" Marvel new characters when they could see more from them in their own creator-owned books. It seems like when they do create new villains they prefer to see them through to the end and kill them off before their run ends, like Knull. I mean, now they exist and other writers can do what they please after but a character like that has served its purpose at this point, rather than like the oldschool Stan Lee ideology of "don't kill em off! We gotta be able to keep using em!"
    I feel like Spider-man,Batman and the Flash are the only 3 characters with such a great rogues gallery that even with no new additions they can keep a story fresh.The rest need more villains.Batman is just an overpopulated mess with way to many people for a solo title.Spider-man has perhaps the best rogues gallery and even though Spencer has tried to use em all he still has left some like Dillion, Ock and Electro.The new Sinister Six\Superior Foes aren't all that good but they work fine.Boomerang is a cut above the rest but still not enough to make him a classic just yet.Kindred is also a means to an end(OMD).He's great imo just too spread out for his own good.Should have introduced him in 25 instead of 1.July solicits may give us a clue as to what comes next.

Mighty Member

Yeah, either Kindred should have been introduced in #1 or there needed to be some rearrangement of issues, like maybe #24 should have been #13 and we get the first dream fight between Spider-man and Kindred in #24. Leaving that fight until #44 felt way too late and took away a lot of the reveal of #50.

Honestly, there are a few changes I felt that could have made the whole run better.
    I feel Spencer's pacing was thrown off by the 2099 arc, as up to that point, the run had been solid.
    But after that, I felt a slight dip.

Overall, I see where this run is going to be in 10 years. Spencer doesn't have the strengths of some one like Conway or Stern. But I feel we'll look back on his run as something that was better than the last, but not as good as the next.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I feel like Spider-man,Batman and the Flash are the only 3 characters with such a great rogues gallery that even with no new additions they can keep a story fresh.The rest need more villains.Batman is just an overpopulated mess with way to many people for a solo title.Spider-man has perhaps the best rogues gallery and even though Spencer has tried to use em all he still has left some like Dillion, Ock and Electro.The new Sinister Six\Superior Foes aren't all that good but they work fine.Boomerang is a cut above the rest but still not enough to make him a classic just yet.Kindred is also a means to an end(OMD).He's great imo just too spread out for his own good.Should have introduced him in 25 instead of 1.July solicits may give us a clue as to what comes next.
    I happen to agree with you about the solicits ( they will be crucial). One thing we have seen is the winding down of both the Boomerang and Chameleon stories, so maybe, just maybe we get Mysterio for Amazing 70 and 71 ( perhaps 72 if Spencer writes 3 issues in July). We also know the New Amazing movie comes out in December, and Marvel likes to use the comics to push the movie ( I know they are pissed at Columbia over Netflix, but the planning of these issues happened before that deal was struck, so I expect Otto and Dillion in the Fall). If Spencer wants to write those characters he can, if not he will possibly finish Kindred and OMD and leave the book after Amazing 75 in August?).
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 04-14-2021 at 05:54 AM.