View Poll Results: Which do you prefer ZS Justice League or Infinity War/Endgame?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zack Snyder’s Justice League

19 13.57%
  • Avengers Infinity War-Endgame

121 86.43%
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

It's hard to say just what effect the studio had on New Mutants. It seems they made Boone tone down the horror at first then did a 180 after IT and wanted more horror from the reshoots, but couldn't get the cast together so what was originally shot was what we got.

I think it's clear from New Mutants that Boone is a bad writer and director, in fact his writing would be bad by fanfiction standards. The film is a collection of scenes and not an actual story, because there's no cause and effect. Things happen for no reason and are promptly forgotten about when the scene changes. Even most crappy movies at least get that right. There are so many things that a competent director or writer would know not to do, like having this big reveal shot of the soul sword when that weapon's been used many times throughout the movie already. His dialogue was atrocious much of the time. And for someone who supposedly had a 'vision,' he lacked the minimal imagination necessary to figure out how to do Magik's origin right, show very little and play up the mystery. I'd say The Fault in Our Stars was a fluke that was only good because it was so directly adapted from the book and would never trust Boone to come up with an original film, story, dialogue, or characters again.

I can't fathom how the movie has any defenders. It's not like Mulan 2020 or Thor 2 or even Batman and Robin where there's at least a core story and a basic level of competence in the filmmaking even if the story or film is boring or trash. It's closer to The Room in how much it fails and the way it fails, only without being funny. Even ignoring what it does to the source material and the characters, it's a horrible film on pretty much every level.

When I did a rewrite of the movie, one of the things I did was try to restore the concept of cause and effect. So things like Roberto offering Sam a million dollars comes up again later in the film, and Roberto has reason to think Illyana would attack him in the pool and that incident changes how he treats her for the rest of the story instead of being forgotten.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yes it did suffer from studio interference they wanted to reshoot stuff because the movie was bad (or average) but reshoots and fixes the director supposedly agree to do didn't happen, Which left us to watch the creator's bad movie as he intended with racist Magik and whitewash Sunspot who did nothing of note in the movie. AND the Fox tradition of focusing on one character(Moonstar) at the detriment of other characters. AND movie had stupid power of love/self ending AND the movie pretend comics concepts like Limbo, Lockheed, Demon Bear need to be put behind of pseudo realistic BS instead of embracing comic book storytelling.
    Ok. So why did he make her racist?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. So why did he make her racist?
    Best guess, a combination of trying to be 'edgy' and also not knowing how to write a bully other than with casual racism. And even writing her as a bully was a bad move.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Best guess, a combination of trying to be 'edgy' and also not knowing how to write a bully other than with casual racism. And even writing her as a bully was a bad move.
    Geez, no wonder it didn't do well.

Extraordinary Member

New Mutants was going to be awful even if Studio hadn't interfered. From the looks of it, it might have been worse had they left him alone.

The only thing good about that film were the performances of Illyana and Rahne's actresses. But that more on the Casting Director than Boone.

That thing was awful.

Extraordinary Member

Zach Snyder is better than Josh Boone. Even the 2017 Justice League cut is better than New Mutants.

Ultimate Member

New Mutants was terrible because it tried to adapt the team's biggest story without adapting to the medium.

When you step back and look at non MCU movies, you can see how a great deal of comic book movies take from the comics without adjusting them to fit on the big screen. From Ben's DD, to the first Suicide Squad. They take the biggest arc of a series and try to mash that into a movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    New Mutants was terrible because it tried to adapt the team's biggest story without adapting to the medium.

When you step back and look at non MCU movies, you can see how a great deal of comic book movies take from the comics without adjusting them to fit on the big screen. From Ben's DD, to the first Suicide Squad. They take the biggest arc of a series and try to mash that into a movie.
    If anything it tried too hard to adapt to the medium. That's why the bear wasn't real and Limbo was turned into Illyana's happy place. Being more like the actual comic would only have made it better.

I still can't believe no one asked Boone: 'why would a little girl seeking to escape into another world create hell as her happy place and not ponyland or disneyland?'

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Anybody see The New Mutants? A singular vision of filmmaker. Written and directed. And it stunk.
    I actually finally watched it a few days ago.

Was is a masterpiece? Nah. Was it totally horrible? Nope. I quite enjoyed it for what it was, even knowing it attempted to be something else.

Will I repeatedly watch it like I do other movies? Eh...nah.

Related(And Hilarious...) -

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/za...directors-cut/

Zack Snyder Teases Unreleased Sucker Punch Director’s Cut

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    They quashed his 300 finale, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While Sucker Punch is actually a guilty pleasure of mine (in the sense that yes, turning my brain off and not caring about a story or the characters can be some good wind-down time every now and then), I can’t possibly fathom how a director’s cut of SP could add anything of value.

At least JL had the inherent merit of being not-Whedon-influenced.

Is this real?

“It's a movie about genre like I was asked at the time, why did you dress the girls like that and I always go 'I didn't dress them like that, you did.'"

Quote Originally Posted by frobisher View Post
    is this real?

“it's a movie about genre like i was asked at the time, why did you dress the girls like that and i always go 'i didn't dress them like that, you did.'"
    e d g e l o r d

So Sucker Punch was social commentary on the objectification of young women? Well then it was more of a failure than I thought.
    He sounds like Russell Crow in Gladiator "Look at these hot chicks! Are you not entertained!"
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!