Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Does Bruce hate Alan Scott for abandoning Gotham?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this in comics anywhere. Does Bruce hate Alan S off for leaving Gotham? For not saving his parents?

Or just in general for leaving Gotham, and that’s when things got bad for the city and the rise of the criminal element?

I don't think Bruce hated or respected Alan any less. If anything he wishes Gotham was more like it was when Alan was patrolling it.

Somewhere out there in the multiverse Alan stuck around, sensed the trouble happening in crime alley, and leapt into action!

...he promptly broke his hip of course, old man leaping and all that.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Bruce hated or respected Alan any less. If anything he wishes Gotham was more like it was when Alan was patrolling it.
    Also in Hush I always took it as Bruce admiring and looking up to him.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Also in Hush I always took it as Bruce admiring and looking up to him.
    That was before the deaths though

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh yeah, duh

Astonishing Member

Hmm...never thought about it before!

Come to think about it...when exactly was Alan established as living in Gotham? And when that happened, was he retroactively established as having always been in Gotham or did he just live there for a few years/decades at some point of time?

Alan operating in Gotham as Green Lantern actually opens up a number of questions for the Batman mythos. Like the question of why Gotham has historically been a cesspool of crime and corruption when it was home to arguably the pre-eminent superhero of the Golden Age? And the question of why Batman would be regarded as such a game-changer in Gotham when the city has already been home to one superhero?

Add to that the issues of how the JSA's timeline is supposed to work in current continuity, and you realize that these questions (and the OP's original question) are a lot harder to answer!
    Last edited by bat39; 04-08-2021 at 04:37 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Whose deaths? Bruce's or Alan's or both?
    Isn't the OPs question answered in Made of Wood by Ed Brubaker?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

Come to think about it...when exactly was Alan established as living in Gotham? And when that happened, was he retroactively established as having always been in Gotham or did he just live there for a few years/decades at some point of time.

Alan operating in Gotham as Green Lantern actually opens up a number of questions for the Batman mythos. Like the question of why Gotham has historically been a cesspool of crime and corruption when it was home to arguably the pre-eminent superhero of the Golden Age? And the question of why Batman would be regarded as such a game-changer in Gotham when the city has already been home to one superhero?

Add to that the issues of how the JSA's timeline is supposed to work in current continuity, and you realize that these questions (and the OP's original question) are a lot harder to answer!
    If I remember right things started going downhill when Alan retired or the JSA went into seclusion but Gotham didn't really enter its true "dark age" until the Wayne's were murdered.

Check out 'Made of Wood' by Ed Brubaker which touches on this. Bruce has a great deal of respect for Alan.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Whose deaths? Bruce's or Alan's or both?
    Isn't the OPs question answered in Made of Wood by Ed Brubaker?
    Waynes
    No idea. That's in Man Who Laughs collection if I'm not mistaken? I skipped it when I read it at the bookstore coz I was only interested in the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

Come to think about it...when exactly was Alan established as living in Gotham? And when that happened, was he retroactively established as having always been in Gotham or did he just live there for a few years/decades at some point of time.

Gotham was first mentioned in a Green Lantern comic in 1944's #14. And he moved from Capitol City. The JSA was already based in Gotham.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_1_14
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Gotham was first mentioned in a Green Lantern comic in 1944's #14. And he moved from Capitol City. The JSA was already based in Gotham.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Green_Lantern_Vol_1_14
    Interesting!

I always assumed that Alan being in Gotham was something that originally came up in the 70's Earth Two stories.

If you take Earth Two continuity into account (since the actual Golden Age wasn't really into the 'shared universe' thing apart from the JSA), this means that Alan and Bruce would have been operating in Gotham at the same time, at the peak of their respective careers!

Which then raises the obvious shared universe questions like how often did their paths cross and why did Alan never help out in Batman and Robin's adventures, and vice versa. Also, did Alan ever have a working relationship with Commissioner Gordon? Was he a ''duly deputized member of the GCPD'' the way Batman was in those days? And if so, why didn't that protect him from the hearings in 1951 that shut down the JSA and forced most of the Golden Age heroes, barring the Big Three, into retirement?

Alan being a hero decades before Bruce put on the cowl raises its own questions of course - like the simple fact that Batman wasn't the first hero, or even the first major hero, in Gotham's history. Though given how weird JSA/Golden Age continuity is right now, I suppose we can't get clear answers to these until the JSA's status, and chronology, in current continuity is resolved.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Waynes
    No idea. That's in Man Who Laughs collection if I'm not mistaken? I skipped it when I read it at the bookstore coz I was only interested in the Joker.
    Its interesting. More of a Bruce as Detective tale and if you like Gordon its even better. Made of Wood is shortly after Officer Down

It causes even more questions than answers imo
    Either Alan existed as GL before Batman debuted which goes against Earth 2 continuity a bit since Batman was active when Alan moved to Gotham
    or
    Alan was always active in Gotham but just wasn't as successful there because when you think about it. Gotham in general very rarely acknowledges any heroes besides Batman unintentionally highlighting how bad of a job Alan must have done which can't be far off. The waynes got murdered on his watch,etc