Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Nightwing 2022 Annual #1 Preview

Nightwing 2022 Annual #1 Preview
    Writers: Tom Taylor, Jay Kristoff and C.S. Pacat
    Artists: Eduardo Pansica and Inaki Miranda

Sociopath kid with abusive parents, looks like something from a Stephen King book.

Looks like they are going for the "Reverse" Nightwing\Batman with him.
    Last edited by Drako; 11-23-2022 at 12:53 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Why am I reminded of "Bruce Wayne" from King's run?

Astonishing Member

God, I was just being shown attention by my ginger tabby and saw this, damnit, atleast the cat was saved in the last sec but how long. Damnit, when I read this issue will i have to see the cat kill in a later time. i usually avoid serial killer origin stories because most of the time it always involved animal abuse and well I'm a animal lover(I have 4 cats)

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    God, I was just being shown attention by my ginger tabby and saw this, damnit, atleast the cat was saved in the last sec but how long. Damnit, when I read this issue will i have to see the cat kill in a later time. i usually avoid serial killer origin stories because most of the time it always involved animal abuse and well I'm a animal lover(I have 4 cats)
    That's why I love Dex-Starr origin! He embraces all the hate we readers feel when this kind of scene are told. He's the best Red Lantern ever!
    https://9gag.com/gag/aY4XYOq

This was good, nothing out of the ordinary.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I don't like this villain origin. Haley was nice and the rest I don't care.

Astonishing Member

I read it and relieved that Heartless kid didn't try to finish the job on the family cat later in the story, at least not on panel athough he does kill another mouse. just heads up, if you get triggered like I do with animal cruelty. The Haley story was cute and I kinda figured it out that Selina and Ivy being villains again is off, but its Haley imagination. cute story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why am I reminded of "Bruce Wayne" from King's run?
    Boy, that was something that went absolutely nowhere wasn't it? I'm sure I remember him being hyped up as a "New Villain" - and then nothing....

It's interesting, I think people give Taylor a hard time for being quote/unquote "woke" - but Heartless's origin compares quite interestingly to King's "Master Bruce" and Snyder's James Gordon Jr, in that....

spoilers:
    Heartless starts off as the kind "oooooh, that kid seems a bit off - he's probably a remorseless psycho" take on mental health that felt transgressively interesting when Black Mirror came out, but now seems a bit dated and reductive - but he's also a vulnerable kid who's basically "groomed" by the butler into what he becomes.
    end of spoilers

I mean, he's not going to win any Most Fascinating Villain awards yet - but I liked this as an origin. Connected to Dick in a semi-plausible way without a connection to Robin/Nightwing, a nice mix of "gotham psycho" and "comicsy fun" with the enhancements.

Story with Jon was a well-executed example of something we've seen before - like the Grayson story in the Robin anniversary issue a bit ago - but it's a moment between the characters that they needed, and it's done well. Art good in the fight/training bits, a little ropey in some of the earlier emotive bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This was good, nothing out of the ordinary.
    Yeah not to mention I think a lot of us figured out who it was before today. At least I think so, I could be wrong about that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah not to mention I think a lot of us figured out who it was before today. At least I think so, I could be wrong about that.
    I forgot that bully,
    its kinda funny to me how many people were there that night at the circus

Honestly i would have been perfectly fine never knowing Heartless' origin. Bad guys are more mysterious when you don't know everything about them. The Haley story was adorable though.

I wouldn't say I don't like origins for villains, but I'd rather care about them first. So far Heartless has done nothing for me to care about him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I wouldn't say I don't like origins for villains, but I'd rather care about them first. So far Heartless has done nothing for me to care about him.
    Agreed.

This is how many mirror opposites of Batman/Nightwing thus far?

Is there a reason why we can't have a sympathetic villain?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agreed.

This is how many mirror opposites of Batman/Nightwing thus far?

Is there a reason why we can't have a sympathetic villain?
    Can’t no? I don’t want to sympathize with a serial killer. But I wonder if he will keep killing now that he has his supercharged heart