Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'm just nervous that Connor is going to be made into a villain.
    I thought his tenure in the GA title #101-137 was top notch and did a stellar job fleshing out the character.

Pre 52, he was top 3 martial artists in the DCU - battling Shiva to a draw.
    In his mini series he was exposed to (I kid you not) dragon blood giving him abilities.
    He was given ANOTHER upgrade in the GA/Black Canary title.

Wiliamson has a few credits with me, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here...
    I think it's pretty likely it'll turn out he was brainwashed or something, like he's just.. brought back to reality post Death Metal/Doomsday Clock. He's a bit staggered and confused as to what the **** happened and he gets abducted by the League of Assassins who work their mojo until he inevitably breaks out of it and he and Damian team up and take down the bad guys at the end of the arc. I mean given that he seems to be wearing his pretty much his old costume it looks like his history is basically intact again.

Amazing Member

I'm so excited to see Connor again! I've been waiting for a while. He's a great character, and I was not at all expecting him to interact with Damian. Hopefully it's a sign of him showing up more and more in the comics to come!

One thing I'd love to see is him hanging out with Eddie Fyers again. Their relationship was fantastic.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    I think it's pretty likely it'll turn out he was brainwashed or something, like he's just.. brought back to reality post Death Metal/Doomsday Clock. He's a bit staggered and confused as to what the **** happened and he gets abducted by the League of Assassins who work their mojo until he inevitably breaks out of it and he and Damian team up and take down the bad guys at the end of the arc. I mean given that he seems to be wearing his pretty much his old costume it looks like his history is basically intact again.
    I trust in Williamson. He doesn't seem to share Didios vision that controversy is good for.its own sake or that everything should be dark. He also seems to like 90's and legacy characters. He did say that he has waited a long time to bring Connor back.

I am curious how Connor will fit into this fighting tournament. Especially since Connor is not really into aggression or showing off.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    One thing I've always been curious about Connor is why, during Chuck Dixon's tenure writing him and setting the parameters of his characterization, did outside writers try to hijack Connor's characterization away from what Dixon was doing, not once but TWICE? During the first crossover/team-up with Kyle Raynor as Green Lantern, the GL creative team deliberately tried to engineer a coming-out scene for Connor, despite the fact that Dixon had no intention of making Connor gay. And later, during Grant Morrison's run on the JLA and his original plans for expanding the team's membership, Morrison gleefully said in comics press interviews that he was deliberately ignoring how Connor was being characterized in his own book and instead was going to write Connor as being 'just like Oliver,' which was the antithesis of what Dixon was doing. I've always believed that it was no coincidence that the original expansion of the JLA roster, which included Connor, was short-lived and was instead replaced with the longer-lasting (and Connor-free) "Gods of Olympus" model.

Did the other creatives at DC at the time just dislike Connor Hawke for replacing Oliver, or Chuck Dixon for being a conservative, or was there something else going on?
    I can't sympathize with Chuck Dixon here, because what he did to "prove Connor's 'not-a-gay-'ness" was abhorrent. It was one bad tendency in a line of habitual problematic tendencies, wrapped up not only in homophobia but also in toxic masculinity. Whether he realized it or not, Connor had the charisma and position to be something other than straight. He could have been gay, which would have been an important reality to have in a comic, especially back then (and even now, still, quite frankly). He could have been on the spectrum of asexuality (including demi-sexual, demi-romantic, and so forth). The world was Connor's oyster in this regard to be someone different while still being a hero.

But no. Chuck Dixon had to "have Connor prove himself 'not-a-gay'" by 180°-ing with Connor's demeanor beforehand to have him abruptly have sex with a female character. And worse still, the person he had sex with was supposed to be, and at the time was considered as being, his own mother. :/ Before this, most of his time was spent with male characters, and he developed charismatic relationships with them that had a lot of chemistry. And over all, he hadn't shown to be sexually inclined until that moment where he suddenly bangs his supposed-to-have-been-mom. Because showing Connor was "not-a-gay" was more important than anything else about the character.

So no. I can't sympathize with Dixon.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It is confirmed Connor guest starring in Damian title?

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Yes, he’s on the cover for issue 3 and he’s actually seen in issue 1
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yes, he’s on the cover for issue 3 and he’s actually seen in issue 1
    And, if I'm not misinterpreting anything, I believe it was mentioned in an interview that Connor's role in the story was made bigger than initially conceived, due to how much of a parallel the writer realized Connor's and Damian's characters actually are while in the process of incorporating Connor's character into the story.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-28-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Yeah he appeared in two panels in yesterday's issue.
    Its happening.

20210428_132242.jpg

Connor is reintroduced and could perhaps get his own spin-off title after this, Wally is back as the main Flash again, Kyle is part of a "contest" to get a new book, you can tell the current people in charge are clearly 90s fans.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-28-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Yeah he appeared in two panels in yesterday's issue.
    Its happening.

20210428_132242.jpg
    It's times like this where I really wish embedding images as local attachments weren't a thing CBR gave posters the option of doing. That pic is so small.

And since the box to upload the image locally to CBR is always checked by default (which I hate, and you know it's because they want users to do that more than anything else), that means most users on average aren't going to think twice about unchecking it.

EDIT: It looks so much better quoted then in the original post. Which means it look even better not confined to CBR Forums resizing shenanigans.)
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-28-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I do hope that he will not job to Damian, I could get really angry

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Connor is reintroduced and could perhaps get his own spin-off title after this, Wally is back as the main Flash again, Kyle is part of a "contest" to get a new book, you can tell the current people in charge are clearly 90s fans.
    I hope you aren't saying that like its a bad thing because to me personally its really not.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I hope you aren't saying that like its a bad thing because to me personally its really not.
    I wasn't. So far I'm not the biggest fan of this new regime but those 3 characters have all been done wrong before and are long overdue for some spotlight.

I'm a big Connor fan and hoping for the best...