Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If the Hutts/Jabba returned....

Say in Obi-Wan, Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett etc. should they be practical like in ROTJ or CG like Lucas's approach in the ANH special edition and TPM?

Yoda in THE LAST JEDI was a practical effect (well, apart from the ghostly glow, probably) and seemed to work pretty well, as did the similar Grogu. For all their other problems, the sequel trilogy and the spin-offs have largely focused on practical effects for creatures, droids etc. Even Maz in TROS, a CG effect in the previous two films, was a practical puppet in the third film.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think CG Hutts look weird outside the cartoon, so practical effects would be preferred.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I tend to like practical effects when ever possible but with the way animation has improved in the decades since the special editions and prequels I don't think it would stick out like it used to.

iMan 42s

The issue with Jabba in the special edition and TPM is that this is still pretty early CGI. One thing that was kind of hard to get right in this period was fleshy creatures. It's a limitation of the technology of its day more than anything with the Hutts being hard to get right in CGI.

I would prefer if they show up at all that they are practical and that's likely to be expected given Disney has been really good about Star Wars using practical FX. Given they also have a set of Jabba's throne room it's entirely likely if he's present he will be physical. Besides we've all been conditioned to believe the Hulk is in the same room as the rest of the Avengers so even if we know it's fake it's still going to look about right.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I am sure it will be a combo of both like how they were doing that in the later movies/shows.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

yeah combo would be good, practical model with some CGI details

that said i'll take any hutt i can get

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    yeah combo would be good, practical model with some CGI details

that said i'll take any hutt i can get
    You did say any...

Well played dude.

Well played.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You did say any...
    film_hometheater-7834.jpg

but yes any hutt

Lightbulb

I'd prefer practical effects or a combination with CGI. That said, at this point, I'd be happy to see a live-action Hutt (or animated version post-Empire) no matter how it is accomplished. They are a criminally underused aspect of Stars, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-14-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    film_hometheater-7834.jpg

but yes any hutt
    Indeed, how sweet it is.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Is it possible to deep-fake the Return of the Jedi version of Jabba the Hutt over any new version of Jabba they could create?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I'm not one usually huge on edited versions of old movies but damn, i would beat up a jawa with the hard, cold arm of a stolen droid for a new version of that gross Han/Jabba scene in a new hope.

Who the fck made that and thought "oh that's good enough" lol? Even back then it looked revolting.

They did slightly update it for the 2004 DVD release, probably using the TPM CGI model.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm not one usually huge on edited versions of old movies but damn, i would beat up a jawa with the hard, cold arm of a stolen droid for a new version of that gross Han/Jabba scene in a new hope.

Who the fck made that and thought "oh that's good enough" lol? Even back then it looked revolting.
    It looked pretty good in the 90s!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    They did slightly update it for the 2004 DVD release, probably using the TPM CGI model.
    They did and even increased the motion blur on Han, which IMHO, made it look worse.

I would rather they cut that scene or try to make Jabba follow around when Han talks (like slowly spin around while making eye contact the whole time). Something tells me Hutts don't like things getting behind them. I think a significant retool of the shot is the only way to save it. Maybe have droid attendants carrying the tail for Han to duck under? I dunno ... make him fatter a put him on a Dune-esque hovering platform ... anything has got to be better than that jerky Han movement.

They ONLY scene I really want changed is Greedo/Han. Han shot. Period. None of this "Han shot first" nonsense. Han blew away Greedo in cold blood. But that is a whole other thread!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-19-2021 at 08:43 AM.