Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A lift for Jabba actually appeared in some concept art for the SE.

https://www.starwars.com/news/6-fasc...pecial-edition
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It looked pretty good in the 90s
    No it didn't. It always looked weird and poorly made. I remember very clearly my reaction to it when i first watched that version on VHS. (oh yeah baby, sweet old VHS lol, wasn't that the first time by the way that the movies were released on vhs?)

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i like the lift idea, also they could use grakkus the hutt's spider leg implants if they have the budget:

Kongo_Grakkus_and_Kreel.jpg.jpg
    Last edited by The Gold Stream; 04-22-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    No it didn't. It always looked weird and poorly made. I remember very clearly my reaction to it when i first watched that version on VHS. (oh yeah baby, sweet old VHS lol, wasn't that the first time by the way that the movies were released on vhs?)
    Compared to other CGI in 1997 ... it was very good. Granted, it was very jarring as it was not based on a puppet like the dewbacks in previous scenes.

And no, there were several other VHS releases. The most notable was the THX releases that had the first touch-ups done by Lucas (sound and some color grading among others) in 1995 that were being done while the SE were being "made". I believe he credits the THX restoration process giving him the idea for the SE. The letterbox set of re-prints of the first box set from 1990 in 1992 had the first major change to the series, each video has the 1991 Fox Video logo in place of the old CBS/FOX Video logo. Each film had single releases on VHS through the 1980s. The SEs were the 3rd or 4th box set released by Christmas 1997, with each film getting a solo release over the course of 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Stream View Post
    i like the lift idea, also they could use grakkus the hutt's spider leg implants if they have the budget:

I dunno, the more I think about it, I like the Dune-esque suppressors for Jabba in that scene.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-22-2021 at 01:37 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

TPM and AOTC I think had videotapes but were pretty much the last ones. I think the TPM VHS is actually the only version of the movie that has the theatrical cut, as the TPM DVD had an extended pod race (with an even *more* extended version in the deleted scenes!) and a few other adjustments. I think at least one version of the VHS came with a sample of the art book and replicated film cells.

By ROTS VHS was pretty much on it's way out so it was DVD only, at least in the states.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth