• Star Spangled Kid - Courtney

20 55.56%
  • Other

3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default JSA 1999 Appreciation 2021 - Essential Members

I have a special love for the 1999 version of JSA that was created by James Robinson and David Goyer. Geoff Johns gets most of the credit for this version, which is fine.

I've heard that Robinson and Goyer had mapped out the first 15 issues (which were my favorites of the run) and that Johns came in to dialogue most of it and then eventually took over the book. Whether that is correct or not, there is definitely a different feel to those first 15 issues than what came afterwards. Whoever was responsible did an amazing job.

Of those early issues, which characters did you feel really belonged in the book ongoing?

Poll coming.

Last edited by caj; 04-07-2021 at 10:08 AM.

I like Android Hourman, but I was very glad to get Rick back.

Everyone on the list minus Hourman (because, as intresting and unique as his own series might have been, I really don't think he ever fit), and Hawkgirl - Kendra (because I never could stand the character. Too whiny for my tastes. I'm a Shiera, Shayera guy all the way). I did like the Kendra - Hawkgirl character in Robinson's New 52 Earth 2, though. A lot.

Peace

As much as I love Courtney, I really wish Jack would have had more of a chance in this series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    As much as I love Courtney, I really wish Jack would have had more of a chance in this series.
    Well, once Robinson was gone, Jack didn't really have too much of a place here.

I loved the series, but was always disappointed with the exclusion of the Sandman from the team (if I recall correctly)

In general, I prefer that Dr. Midnight, Mr. Terrific, Sandman, and Wildcat are always on the team in one form or another. (Jay & Alan are kind of givens)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I loved the series, but was always disappointed with the exclusion of the Sandman from the team (if I recall correctly)

In general, I prefer that Dr. Midnight, Mr. Terrific, Sandman, and Wildcat are always on the team in one form or another. (Jay & Alan are kind of givens)
    Which Sandman were you expecting? And did Sand/Sandy Hawkins not count for you, since he was clearly the Sandman legacy?

I loved the series, but was always disappointed with the exclusion of the Sandman from the team (if I recall correctly) . . .
    If you're referring to Golden Age Sandman (Wes Dodds), he was OLD by then and not in the best of health.

And he was in the issue that kicked everything off: JSA Secret Files and Origins #1.
    He died at the beginning of that issue, and it was his funeral at the beginning of JSA issue #1 that brought them all together again.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you're referring to Golden Age Sandman (Wes Dodds), he was OLD by then and not in the best of health.

And he was in the issue that kicked everything off: JSA Secret Files and Origins #1.
    He died at the beginning of that issue, and it was his funeral at the beginning of JSA issue #1 that brought them all together again.
    That's right. I forgot that's why he wasn't used (so long ago now) I was disappointed that it wasn't him at the time, as I can't recall why Ted Grant seemed fit to go, but others did not.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to getting a new JSA in the near future....hope they can find a good writer who wants to take it on.

That's right. I forgot that's why he wasn't used (so long ago now) I was disappointed that it wasn't him at the time, as I can't recall why Ted Grant seemed fit to go, but others did not . . .
    Well, Wes had a heart-attack or two in the past.
    As for Ted, he had been retconned into having nine lives at some point. Alan had energy of the starheart keeping him from not really feeling the affects of aging, and Jay was tied in to the speedforce (I think).
    Many members of the original JSA also had prolonged lives because of the events of All-Star Squadron Annual #3, and that included Alan, Jay, and Wes (though Ted was not present for that story).

Ah, okay, thanks for filling in the blank on that one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    I like Android Hourman, but I was very glad to get Rick back.
    I found the android fascinating. I don't know why, but I never picked up his own book, but I loved him in JSA. Maybe it was because he reminded me of Red Tornado. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, Wes had a heart-attack or two in the past.
    As for Ted, he had been retconned into having nine lives at some point. Alan had energy of the starheart keeping him from not really feeling the affects of aging, and Jay was tied in to the speedforce (I think).
    Many members of the original JSA also had prolonged lives because of the events of All-Star Squadron Annual #3, and that included Alan, Jay, and Wes (though Ted was not present for that story).
    Yes, Wes was always shown to be the oldest of the old-timers. And the one without any super-power boost. In Kaminski and Parobeck's opening issue of their Justice Socity book (highly underrated, IMHO), he had one of those heart-attacks you mentioned. I'm not sure if the events of All Star Squadron Annual were kept in continuity Post-Crisis. I think that's why they kept comming up with the individual explanations for the heroes longevity.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    . . . In Kaminski and Parobeck's opening issue of their Justice Socitey book (highly underrated, IMHO), . . .
    Still waiting for DC to publish the collected version, which they originally had solicited back in 2016:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    . . . I'm not sure if the events of All Star Squadron Annual were kept in continuity Post-Crisis. I think that's why they kept coming up with the individual explanations for the heroes longevity.
    I think what happened in All-Star Squadron Annual #3 probably was kept in continuity (with a few tweaks) initially in the post-CoIE continuity, especially while Roy Thomas was still writing for DC. But once DC started distancing itself from much (but not all) of Roy's WWII continuity, what happened in All-Star Squadron Annual #3 probably fell out of favor or was just "forgotten".

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Everyone other than Hawkgirl and Black Canary.

Don't know why, but Kendra never really clicked for me
    And no Dinah as I prefer her working side by side with the Birds of Prey and Ollie.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.