Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The thing is in the Marvel U we have seen characters do have souls and do go on to someplace after death. We have literally seen the afterlife. Hickman can say what he wants but it is goes against things we have seen in many other books at least in regards to the Marvel Universe.
    I'm concerned about how these soul-less mutants will operate in battle or day-to-day without any soul. No rhythm, bad dancers and useless in multi-step handshakes. I guess Illyana didn't have a soul for a while and has done well for herself, she even got promoted to the A-list.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I'm concerned about how these soul-less mutants will operate in battle or day-to-day without any soul. No rhythm, bad dancers and useless in multi-step handshakes. I guess Illyana didn't have a soul for a while and has done well for herself, she even got promoted to the A-list.
    Now I think is better to clear some thing. The method the mutants are using to ensure their immortality is actually old story. Is the same genetic based immortality <In the sense of being able to come back from death> that was firstly developed by EARTH Eternals(is worth noting that this method was not pursued by otherworld Eternals) and then through quite insane geneticist as the Eeviant Ghaur and the Inhuman Phaeder somehow trickled down to all insane geneticist that inhabit MU earth(that by the way likely know each other personally...AND ALL ARE MAJOR CREEPS! WTF).
    We know that even ot considering the latest reveal about the Eternal immortality, that each time they come back they consume an human life, even before that the system was flawed and often the Eternals come back with wrong memories, warped personalities and sometimes corrupted and insane. The latest part was later confirmed by Death herself to Ben Reilly( who apparently has the record of being the single individual that died MORE than anyone in MU...eat thatHulk and Jean Grey...) in that this method of dying and coming back, is used to often and too soon, will eventually tarnish and erode the soul dooming the person to become evil and insane....and since this method of immortality was pursued only, outside the Eternals, by mad scientists who were evil and insane to start with no one noticed. Except that they become more unhinged and evil by each resurrection.
    So...they have souls? Yes. This procedure do indeed allow transmigration, albeit one wonder what about the multiple duplicates of a same body(for multiple man it was strongly implied they share same soul and the more Jamie he create the more unstable he become) but for clones with same memory? Of course the price is that without something to stabilise the procedure on some mystical level(and in MU magc, technology and genetics are blurred into each other like you won't believe...as example gamma and cosmic radiation are magic, as emanation from infinite above and the abyss below. So are spiders too) the mind and souls get....effed up.
    OH AND JUST TO REMIND YOU GUYS.:FORGE the one that perfected Cerebro to perform this task is not just a superengineer, but he is also one powerful shaman, he know souls exist , he know that mystical aspect had to be taken in consideration!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Since I have not really been reading the books I have a couple questions in regards to this. If a mutant lost their powers on M-Day such as Blob if they kill him and bring him back would he have his powers again? If Beast died and they bring him back would he be in his original human form, his classic "blue ape" form, or one of the others he has had over the years? How many mutants have they not brought back for one reason or another?

Spectacular Member

A bit off topic but still kinda on topic as well:
    Out of curiosity, do we have any information about the nature of souls of beings who die in Marvel comics? Are souls immortal (indestructible if left alone) or do they die out? In my head canon they live with The One Above All forever, but is there any actual canon which might contradict??

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    A bit off topic but still kinda on topic as well:
    Out of curiosity, do we have any information about the nature of souls of beings who die in Marvel comics? Are souls immortal (indestructible if left alone) or do they die out? In my head canon they live with The One Above All forever, but is there any actual canon which might contradict??
    Well they go to various places depending on circumstance, and can just hang around; though in the last Great Lake Avengers series Doorman was collecting them on behalf of Oblivion to have them cease to exist.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Well they go to various places depending on circumstance, and can just hang around; though in the last Great Lake Avengers series Doorman was collecting them on behalf of Oblivion to have them cease to exist.
    Hmm, which issue is that?
    Was this something that was happening which wasn’t standard and Did they specifically state that they’ll stop existing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    Hmm, which issue is that?
    Was this something that was happening which wasn’t standard and Did they specifically state that they’ll stop existing?
    It was brought up in issues 6 and 7.

They didn't really clarify why this was the souls fate. Doorman showed up said he was to usher him to the endless void to which there is no consciousness, and later when told he'd always remember him, Doorman pointed out that no he wouldn't, because to remember him he'd have to exist.

Other comics have shown fates of heaven, hell, niflheim, valhalla; honestly I'm putting this down to Marvel having basically abandoned having any sense of narrative consistently or cohesion.

It's all just empty noise now.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 09-16-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Spectacular Member

Who was he ushering?

I’m trying to find any scans of this online. I don’t wanna pay 5 bucks for two issues just to read a panel, haha!

Gregory Garlick

Edit: here's reference 1.
    http://all-comic.com/wp-content/uplo..._LR2-3-53.jpeg
    Last edited by Nazrel; 09-16-2021 at 08:51 AM.
    Context is king.

Spectacular Member

Gregory Garlick

Cheers.

Hmm… it kinda makes no sense with continuity and logic in general.

How can one person (doorman in this case) collect all the souls of the dead? It’s illogical for him to do that as one person vs every person dying

Also, it contradicts other deaths in Marvel history… for example how would Krakoan resurrection work
    If their souls are ushered into oblivion’s plane of non existence or how would resurrections in general work?

Spectacular Member

Gregory Garlick

Hmm I’ve been reading about Oblivion and his “angels of death”. Correct me if I’m wrong but Oblivion seems to be very bent on the non-existence of the universe. So I guess in this case Oblivion has employed Doorman to assist him in achieving the goal.

Would it be sensible to say that a soul going to the void of Oblivion and ceasing to exist is an unnatural process made by the medalling on Oblivion and company’s behalf, since we’ve seen the process of dying in marvel and in most cases it doesn’t work the way it does in GLA.

So basically would it make sense to say that souls seem to be “up for grabs” for any powerful Marvel being to acquire? Ie one alternative to Oblivion could be -The One Above All could also claim a soul like he did with Ben Grimm and have it live forever with him as opposed to having it cease to exist..

Incredible Member

Since I have not really been reading the books I have a couple questions in regards to this. If a mutant lost their powers on M-Day such as Blob if they kill him and bring him back would he have his powers again? If Beast died and they bring him back would he be in his original human form, his classic "blue ape" form, or one of the others he has had over the years? How many mutants have they not brought back for one reason or another?
    Supposedly, due to Sinister's extensive collection of mutant DNA samples, The Five are able to reality warp the egg into a version of the body with mutant powers.

Incredible Member

most likely the most recent form on which they they have the genetic data on. Ranhe would be a perfect example of this. Did they use the genetic materiel from the time of her most recent death or before she had her kid because they aren't the same.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You get your powers back due to Proteus' reality manipulation, Tempus' time manipulation and Elixir's life manipulation powers being involved.

Destiny and Blindfold weren't brought back because no precognitive mutants are allowed.
    That Apocalypse clone wasn't brought back.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    You get your powers back due to Proteus' reality manipulation, Tempus' time manipulation and Elixir's life manipulation powers being involved.

Destiny and Blindfold weren't brought back because no precognitive mutants are allowed.
    That Apocalypse clone wasn't brought back.
    You know, your comment made me think about the five resurrection protocol, as why exist in this form and in this precise order? And I come up with a theory. Just a theory.
    First we have goldball's eggs who are hominids eggs, last we have tempus who warp time to boost to the proper age....but is the three in the middle that are important. Bio material and accelerated growth were already in the realm of many crazy geneticists. But Proteus, Hope and Elixir are what make the difference here.
    Proteus expecially, is a reality warpers, and we know that they can resurrect themselves if they want to, but an unique one. One that can from the early start use his SOUL to occupy another body. He make the egg fertile, we assumed was only biological but what if he made them spiritually fertile, putting them in state similar to his host bodies? Then there is Hope. Apparently Harrold is more limited, she just inject the dna imprint in the "fertile" egg. But hope is more than just that. She is a power matrix for all mutants, not just physically but borderline spiritually, finally Elixir, the most powerful healer in MU, show to resurrect deceased people, soul and all.
    My idea is that between Proteus Hope and Elixir's power, they ot so much clone...rather resurrect the subject, creating a body, linking it to its soul(lil bit of phoenix knowledge from when she was her host probably helped Hopedoing so) and then resurrect it(but not ageing it, as Proteus and Elixir have to be very focused on their own task) then the mind, or better the memories of the mutant are downloaded(otherwise you can have different personality)
    As I said is a theory, but considering the specific orders and type of mutants he 5 are...is ate least possible that they could play a role in if the born again mutants have a soul or not