Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Is the mutant resurrection method just cloning?

I was reading about the events of DOX, POX, HOX & XOS and I’m a bit confused regarding the whole mutant resurrection process. It sounds like it’s nothing close to an actual resurrection as Xavier simply backs up their brain patterns into Cerebro and uploads it into a clone of the deceased character. Wouldn’t this just mean that the character who’s been *resurrected* is a completely different entity from the original? Ie a clone with false memories

It's deliberately ambiguous, and will probably be explored later.

That said, SWORD seems to be setting up the "what about the souls we know objectively exist" thing.

Yes, yes it is. That's one of Sinister's things, he clones things even himself when he's not supposed to.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's deliberately ambiguous, and will probably be explored later.

That said, SWORD seems to be setting up the "what about the souls we know objectively exist" thing.
    Hope so. It’s pretty lame that every resurrected character is merely a clone of the original which just ruins it. I hope they don’t bring old Cable back via this method

If they were only clones, why killing someone in Otherworld and Arakko, without backup or genetic relationship, irreversibly affects the process.

Simple answer: They are not simple copies.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The implanted memories aren't false. They're specific to the person being resurrected up until the point just before their death.
    (and in cases where they're tampered with, as with Domino, that's deliberate...and yet to be explained)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I mean if they are “clones” does that mean that have less value even if there’s only one of them around? They have the same lived experiences (barring things that happens the moment they died), same powers, and same personalities. I much prefer this then having them go up to heaven to drag people back like they did with Kurt a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    I was reading about the events of DOX, POX, HOX & XOS and I’m a bit confused regarding the whole mutant resurrection process. It sounds like it’s nothing close to an actual resurrection as Xavier simply backs up their brain patterns into Cerebro and uploads it into a clone of the deceased character. Wouldn’t this just mean that the character who’s been *resurrected* is a completely different entity from the original? Ie a clone with false memories
    They might contrive some excuse that transmigration has actually happened at some point, but by the actual description of the process; yes, they're just copies.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    They might contrive some excuse that transmigration has actually happened at some point, but by the actual description of the process; yes, they're just copies.
    In Valyrie, Death told Jane that the Krakoa resurrection protocols are keeping the mutant souls on Earth and giving them a new body to inhabit. The soul lingers and will attach itself to the new body.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    In Valyrie, Death told Jane that the Krakoa resurrection protocols are keeping the mutant souls on Earth and giving them a new body to inhabit. The soul lingers and will attach itself to the new body.
    Welp... case closed.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The fact is...none of the mutants who've died and been brought back over the many decades...Xavier, Jean, Kurt, Logan, Betsy, Illyana etc etc etc are existing in their original bodies, then to now. Yet for all those years (pre-HiX-Man) no reader had any issues with any of them being other than who they were written to be.

Now it's "These clones are not my X-Men!!!"

They weren't your X-Men 25 years ago.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-07-2021 at 07:46 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    The fact is...none of the mutants who've died and been brought back over the many decades...Xavier, Jean, Kurt, Logan, Betsy, Illyana etc etc etc are existing in their original bodies, then to now. Yet for all those years (pre-HiX-Man) no reader had any issues with any of them being other than who they were written to be.

I didn't even exist 25 years ago.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

No, as long as their soul is inhabiting their new body then they are not clones (in terms of being a seperate entity than the original)

Ben Reilly is a clone
    Resurrected Jean post-Dark Phoenix is not a clone

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    This^ Plus Death said that Ben Raily was resurrected many times by Jack has the original Ben's soul... The same applies to the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
    This^ Plus Death said that Ben Raily was resurrected many times by Jack has the original Ben's soul... The same applies to the X-Men.
    Then there is an oversight on Hickman's part as there would be no need for Charles. Or maybe Charles is using the memory excuse to make the resurrected more subserviant to Krakoa.