Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Tom King is certainly the most disappointing writer in comics. He had real skill at the start, and seemed like a new voice and new star and look at him now, coldhearted scab and company man, hack of the first degree.
    A hack of the first degree is writing Strange Adventures and Rorschach? Props to the ghostwriter then because those series' are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    wasn't murder or mass murder either, google is your friend. I think you are confusing Future State with Heroes in Crisis. In that case John Stewart is a mass murder, Man of Steel Superman is a super mass murder, and Hal Jordan is 1000% a serial killer.
    You are probably aware that there are some people who think that its true?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    A hack of the first degree is writing Strange Adventures and Rorschach? Props to the ghostwriter then because those series' are awesome.
    Rorschach is scab work that's perpetuating ongoing IP theft. Would have been tough to accept for anyone but especially so for someone who's so blatantly in thrall to Moore's influence and owes his career to doing Moore-esque storytelling in The Vision and Mister Miracle with his (over)use of the 9-Panel Grid all over the place.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I mean, comics are the place where writers get rewarded for their bad ideas. Tom King caused mass controversy with the Batman/Catwoman wedding, Heroes in Crisis and his Batman run lead to the Hulk actually surpassing Batman in sales but somehow he ends up working with Ava Duverney in the now cancelled New Gods project. Ta Nehisi Coates has got nothing but vitriol for his Black Panther and Captain America run but the man is now penning a Black Superman movie. Bendis masterminded a bunch of mediocre events for Marvel and later DC (which other creatives often have to work around and make them better), he rendered Scarlet Witch radioactive for decades but the minute the man creates a new character for DC, the character gets a solo series on CW directed by Ava Duverny no less. Meanwhile, Nick Spencer was sent to detention.
    Honestly I think that's to some degree because people in charge don't really know much about comics.

For them it makes total sense to hire a the Black Panther writer who had a #1 that sold >200k copies to write Black Superman, without realizing that his sales numbers dropped way below 20K in the end.

And of course you put the writer with the successfulness Mr. Miracle Mini Series on a new Gods Movie (even if he is mostly writing experimental stuff, and is probably a terrible choice for writing a crowed pleasing blockbuster).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly I think that's to some degree because people in charge don't really know much about comics.

For them it makes total sense to hire a the Black Panther writer who had a #1 that sold >200k copies to write Black Superman, without realizing that his sales numbers dropped way below 20K in the end.
    Coates has written quite a few things before Black Panther. They need to get to more people than just comics readers if they want the movie to be a success

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Coates has written quite a few things before Black Panther.
    But not much of it seem to be crowed pleasing Action-Adventure stuff.

Astonishing Member

Ist Dave Sim the most hated writer?

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think we should have a category for 'Writers Who Hate the Most". I am pretty sure Alan Moore is disappointed with me for most of what I have read.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    wasn't murder or mass murder either, google is your friend. I think you are confusing Future State with Heroes in Crisis. In that case John Stewart is a mass murder, Man of Steel Superman is a super mass murder, and Hal Jordan is 1000% a serial killer.

his powers went haywire due to stress and exploded, killing people accidentally; the most questionable thing he did was panic and try to cover up the accident after it happened. he's not a serial killer, he's not a mass murder, at worst it's manslaughter and obstruction of justice.

I'm just gonna leave it at that. HiC discourse on here often end up being some of the most trite.
    As someone who hates that book, this is all true. The worst thing Wally did was the cover up and framing Harley (former abuse victim, herself mentally unstable and being lead to believe she murdered her lover) and Booster.

Wally lost control for a split second and it cost the lives the people reaching out to help him. He did try to get clear. That part was no more his fault than Superman getting punched through a building while trying to get a monster out of his city is Clark's.

The coverup was the heinous issues. That book has enough problems that we don't need to make up more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Ist Dave Sim the most hated writer?
    Mainstream fans don't know about Sim, who is absolutely not a good dude.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Unfortunately, just because you're talented doesn't mean you're a decent human being.
    The world is littered with incredibly talented & gifted people who are absolute arseholes.
    Why would the comics industry be any different?? (History has shown it ain't!)

Difference is, I can hate an artists work without hating the artist. I notice that line seems to get a little blurred from time to time amongst fandom.
    Tom King has written some good stuff. He also wrote the one story that I've hated more than any other in the last 30 years.
    I don't hate him for the character assassination of Wally West though.
    I'm not a fan of his apparent glee in throwing a fellow artist under the bus without making sure he had his facts straight. It was a dick move that could have had lasting damage on Jae's career and mental health (keyboard warriors are quick to pile on).
    His handling of it once the truth did come to light left a shitty taste in my mouth and he isn't someone I'm currently keen to contribute my money to.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I would say Gabby Rivera after her Miss America comic, but America Chavez is getting a Disney plus show.
    Gabby got death threats over that book. She has a new one at Boom-that COvid derailed.

Ta Nehisi Coates has got nothing but vitriol for his Black Panther and Captain America run but the man is now penning a Black Superman movie.
    Coates OPENLY said he did not care for Black Panther and prove it over the past 5 years.

I don't think King nor Bendis have ever gotten someone they did not care for.

That smells like a "we need attention hire." John Ridley is a bigger name than Coates. Redjack has experience writing shows. Kevin grevioux too. Ava has a bunch herself. Why get someone who might show how upset Superman fans can really get.

but the minute the man creates a new character for DC, the character gets a solo series on CW directed by Ava Duverny no less.
    I would say that is more of looking at Miles Morales more than Bendis.

And then there is this-black female teen series. Moon Girl and Ironheart are a year away. If that pilot gets picked up-you got a head start.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But not much of it seem to be crowed pleasing Action-Adventure stuff.
    No, but I'd be willing to bet they didn't hire him for his comics experience.