Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How much freedom or lack of freedom does he get?

It seems books that would have or sniff editorial interference have the rating issues.

The bottom 3 followed HIC-so that probably has a hand in those ratings.

I would say Coates would have that title since he OPENLY expressed hatred of Black Panther and showed it.
    volt, usually I try to give you benefit of the doubt on some of these questionable posts, since you be having points sometimes, but this is one is complete and utter nonsense; and about as true as Throne's "hatred" of Hal Jordan. I swear the Black Panther takes on this site are gapping leaky booty meat. on the gods smh
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Regarding Bendis, I absolutely love his USM and New Avengers runs, but have mixed feelings on almost everything else. His infamous "Bendispeak" doesnt help also.
    Other than that, Bendis is a really chill guy. I just cant find any reason as to why would people hate him tbh.

Now, the thing with Tom King, as another guy here already pointed out, is that he does pretty controversial stuff in his social feeds, in the same way Slott and Spencer (during the Hydra-cap days) would do, earning innecesary heat. Also, I think people dislike the kind of favoritism he earned from Didio at the time. I mean, every single writer had editors breathing on its neck, but Tom King could somehow do his Batman run relatively unopposed? Yeah, that a good way to alienate people imo.
    In my case, I dont hate King, but what I said above, along with the quality of his Batman run (and that cesspool named HiC) are some of the reasons I dislike him as a writer.

On another note.. WHY WOULD ANYONE HATE TAYLOR?
    I mean, of all people.. TAYLOR? Why tho? Please dont say Injustice.. PLEASE.
    Well, Injustice is quite **** and he has an ironclad lock on the worst Wonder Woman writer of modern times imo.

and he also has DCeased on his resume, so that doesn’t do him any favors.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-07-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Regarding Bendis, I absolutely love his USM and New Avengers runs, but have mixed feelings on almost everything else. His infamous "Bendispeak" doesnt help also.
    Other than that, Bendis is a really chill guy. I just cant find any reason as to why would people hate him tbh.

Now, the thing with Tom King, as another guy here already pointed out, is that he does pretty controversial stuff in his social feeds, in the same way Slott and Spencer (during the Hydra-cap days) would do, earning innecesary heat. Also, I think people dislike the kind of favoritism he earned from Didio at the time. I mean, every single writer had editors breathing on its neck, but Tom King could somehow do his Batman run relatively unopposed? Yeah, that a good way to alienate people imo.
    In my case, I dont hate King, but what I said above, along with the quality of his Batman run (and that cesspool named HiC) are some of the reasons I dislike him as a writer.

On another note.. WHY WOULD ANYONE HATE TAYLOR?
    I mean, of all people.. TAYLOR? Why tho? Please dont say Injustice.. PLEASE.
    I just think Taylor sucks. His writing is a combo of cheap fanservice, C-Lister slaughterfests, and shilling his pet characters/OCs to unbearable levels. I would love to see him contained to the Batverse/Elseworld corner of the DCU forever where people can enjoy his stuff, and he’s not breaking anything I care about (and if he does it’s Batman, plenty of other content for me to enjoy) but Christ he wants to write Supes and I hate his Supes. His Nightwing has been fine so far and that’s the only DC work of his I’ve enjoyed.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Probably BMB or Jason Aaron. Find Tom King a very hit and miss writer. Loved Vision, really didn't like his Batman and Heroes in Crisis was one of the worst comics I've read.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 04-07-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'd argue that Bendis and Jason Aaron are much more hated than Tom, but Tom is definitely up there.
    I agree with you. I think it is a toss-up between Bendis and Aaron.

I hate King's work on Batman (including his current mini) but not King as a writer overall unlike Aaron & Bendis.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Mister Miracle more great King (Vision), good King (Grayson) or bad (Batman/Heroes in Crisis)?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfShaolin View Post
    I cant find anything positive about this guy on the internet.

Why did he become the most hated/frowned upon writer in comics today?
    Tom King is probably one of the most celebrated and award winning writers in the last 5 years.

Twitter and these boards cannot be the barometer to judge a writer.

*see below*
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 04-07-2021 at 09:02 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    If you're saying he's most hated as a person and not a writer, I can't speak to that and I don't care about it.

If you're saying he's among the most hated writers, that is absurd.

Even if you hated his Batman and Heroes in Crisis, there's Sheriff of Babylon, Vision, Omega Men, Mister Miracle, Swamp Thing Winter Special, Superman: Up in the Sky, Strange Adventures, and Rorschach, each of which has been widely praised. (I'll leave out the also widely praised Grayson because he cowrote it with Seeley, though King's issues were extremely well received on that series too.)

And because I'm so sick of people acting like he's a bad writer, and also because he's actually my favorite current comic writer, I'm gonna go ahead and do all of this...

Eisner Awards
    Best Limited Series - 2017
    Best Writer (tie) - 2018
    Best Limited Series - 2019
    Best Writer - 2019

Don't care about awards? Let's see what the critics think.

These aggregate scores are taken from Comic Book Roundup, which I believe is the closest thing to Rotten Tomatoes wrt comics, and these aggregates cover pretty much every comic series he's written:

Sheriff of Babylon: 9.1
    Vision: 9.3
    Omega Men: 8.5
    Mister Miracle: 9.2
    Batman: let's say 7.5 (hard to aggregate b/c it's mixed in with Tynion, but his lowest score was 6.8, out of 85 issues. Most were 8 or higher)
    Swamp Thing Winter Special: 9.2
    Superman: Up in the Sky: 7.3
    Heroes in Crisis: 6.9
    Strange Adventures: 8.5
    Rorschach: 8.3
    Batman/Catwoman: 7.7

Aggregate all of those scores and you get 8.3. That's 83% out of 100.

Which other writer scores an 8.3 over so many series in so few years? Maybe a handful but also maybe none. I'm not doing the research on other writers, but 8.3 is insanely good for this body of work.

Yes, there are fans that will never forgive him for Heroes in Crisis. That's fine but they are silly to carry over that hatred to everything else he's ever written and they are missing out on a ton of good comics. And, outside of this board, their legions are few.

According to every other metric I can think of, he's nearer to the most beloved writer than the most hated.
    This is the post I was looking for - exactly!

People claim they hate these writers but they sale books everytime. Somebody lying or the internet is a loud minority.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    People claim they hate these writers but they sale books everytime. Somebody lying or the internet is a loud minority.
    loud minority

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    more accurately, social media "fandom" subcultures are the loud minority. most fans aren't really worried about armchair debates about the personal biases and perceived "agendas" of comic writers or anything like that. it's like the differentiation between Snydercut fans vs people who just enjoyed Snyder's Justice League.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    That's true, but I'd say it's because he takes big swings so he's going to hit home runs and he's going to strike out. A bold or experimental artist will sometimes fail; that's the nature of boldness and experimenting.
    Which makes him a good choice for Anthology stories, and minis with obscure characters or in else worlds setting, and a terrible choice for anything more mainstream (unless maybe he gets a co writer or strong editorial over sight).

Btw. his Batman run was imo not that Bold, a lot of his stories felt like weaker versions of previous stories, and he didn't really added anything new to the Mythos imo.

I mean back when Rebirth started he was one of the most celebrated writers on this board, and during his Batman Run and HIC that compeletly turned arround.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I've found his stuff EXTREMELY hit & miss.

Mr Miracle
    Omega Men
    Sheriff of Babylon

I enjoyed these quite a bit.

His Batman work, his take on Booster Gold and the absolute ABOMINATION that was Heroes in Crisis - I found bloody awful.

I think he works better on characters where there is less editorial 'guidance'.
    That said, I certainly don't hate the man - I simply steer clear of his work as his stuff isn't to my taste.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I have no interest in the New Gods but I still thought the movie could be cool.

Plus its cancelling has helped motivate the Snyder cult.
    The Snyder cult was gonna Snyder cult no matter what, once someone gave into them (give a mouse a cookie and all that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I just think Taylor sucks. His writing is a combo of cheap fanservice, C-Lister slaughterfests, and shilling his pet characters/OCs to unbearable levels. I would love to see him contained to the Batverse/Elseworld corner of the DCU forever where people can enjoy his stuff, and he’s not breaking anything I care about (and if he does it’s Batman, plenty of other content for me to enjoy) but Christ he wants to write Supes and I hate his Supes. His Nightwing has been fine so far and that’s the only DC work of his I’ve enjoyed.
    Wait, Tom Taylor, the guy who did that good X-23 series for Marvel?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I've only read his Batman & some of Mr. Miracle.

I actually enjoyed Batman up until "City of Bane" which I thought was abysmal...he totally lost me there.

I read a few issues of Mr. Miracle and I thought he was trying to hard to be gritty. After they beheaded a dead Granny Goodness, I thought...this is lame and dropped the title.