Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Tom King the most hated writer in comics?

I cant find anything positive about this guy on the internet.

Why did he become the most hated/frowned upon writer in comics today?

I don't think he is, people just didn't seem to like his Batman run very much and the wedding copout sealed the deal. Then the situation with Jae Lee kind of made matters worse. Otherwise I don't personally find him to be that hated.

I love his work
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I'd argue that Bendis and Jason Aaron are much more hated than Tom, but Tom is definitely up there.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'd argue that Bendis and Jason Aaron are much more hated than Tom, but Tom is definitely up there.
    This, I only see his HIC and Batman run get hate. People still praise his other work. With Bendis, it's like anything he does gets a negative reaction.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

It is absurd to hate somebody for what they write. You must say you hate their work, but not the guy.
    That say, I hate what Bendis did to the Legion of Super--Heroes. I liked what King wrote about Superman in up in the Sky. I like Omega Men but Heroes in crisis was disapointing. It is a mixed bag.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

God no, Bendis is easily more widely hated. Also King’s minis tend to be VERY well regarded by the general audience. Vision, Mister Miracle, etc, they all get good reception.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Tom King and Brian Michael Bendis's comics seems to attract the same level of hatred among comic fans, but the difference being that people don't despise Bendis as viscerally because he keeps a comparatively low profile on social media as opposed to King. I can't think of a single example of a statement or action made by Bendis outside the pages of a comic book that garnered controversy unlike King in which you can name half a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I agree with you. I think it is a toss-up between Bendis and Aaron.

I hate King's work on Batman (including his current mini) but not King as a writer overall unlike Aaron & Bendis.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Mister Miracle more great King (Vision), good King (Grayson) or bad (Batman/Heroes in Crisis)?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't think he is, people just didn't seem to like his Batman run very much and the wedding copout sealed the deal. Then the situation with Jae Lee kind of made matters worse. Otherwise I don't personally find him to be that hated.
    I know this sounds pretty ignorant of the whole thing, but...can someone please explain the Jae Lee thing to me? I vaguely recall the name, but I don't know anything else about this person or for that matter what King has to do with him.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I don't think that hew's even close to "the most hated", but maybe it seemed that way during Heroes in Crisis.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I know this sounds pretty ignorant of the whole thing, but...can someone please explain the Jae Lee thing to me? I vaguely recall the name, but I don't know anything else about this person or for that matter what King has to do with him.
    Lee was going to be the variant cover artist for Rorschach. King publicly accused him of being tied to a "hate group" and rejected his cover tweeting that as far he was concerned the only cover for it was Jorge Fornes' main cover. Naturally it turned out that Lee did nothing wrong and King had to apologize for looking like a jackass and trying to destroy the career of a fellow creator for no reason.

Extraordinary Member

Lee had iirc made a cover for a "comics gate" creator (I think it was Ethan van Sciver) but had otherwise nothing to do with "comics gate".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Naturally it turned out that Lee did nothing wrong and King had to apologize for looking like a jackass and trying to destroy the career of a fellow creator for no reason.
    Thing that stuck with me was King saying that he apologised and they are good now, but then Lee responded that they are not good, they are done. Kinda felt to me that King couldn't even properly apologise.