Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I feel very bitter about this. I hate it. I miss the days when Jean was Phoenix in name only and was an omega telepath and telekinetic. Oh well...

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm a little upset that Marvel editorial can't stop beating up the X-Men and taking their stuff away to hand to the Avengers, but happier that the plot-derailing parasite is going to go bother someone else for a while.
    ALL OF THIS.

Bye Phoenix! (for now)

OP Question -

Meh, I don't care about Echo as Phoenix. Jean will always be Phoenix in my mind. Let Editorial do as they will and make their mistakes we all know eventually things will be set right.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    That's the Avengers for you. It's what they always do because their books are so goddamn dull with one spectacular arc every 100 issues surrounded by a mire of ****. I mean let's see, things the Avengers have tried to take and dilute from the X-Men:

* Magneto
    * Sentinels
    * Beast
    * Jean Grey
    * Shi'ar
    * Wolverine
    * Phoenix

Like, I get it. The Avengers' individual series are so much better - Thor, Iron Man, Captain America - you can list amazing arcs and runs from each but read those first twenty issues of Avengers - they're somehow worse than the first twenty of X-Men. Half of their threats are by villains seeking to beat them for the sake of beating them because they're the Avengers - even though they haven't actually done anything! When the founding Avengers leave, it doesn't get much better: Captain America is a negligent jerk, Scarlet Witch is useless, Quicksilver is fast but not really and Hawkeye is an *******. Then Giant-Man rejoins as Goliath and he's a jerk and the Wasp joins Scarlet Witch in being useless. What happens then? Hercules joins and he single handedly makes the Avengers more useless than when Thor was around.

Hey, I'm sorry, I know that the Skrull/Kree War was an amazing arc and I respect it as such. It deserves the praise it gets. But don't forget, it also TOOK THE MAIN CONCEPTS FROM FANTASTIC FOUR. Just like it attempted to take Fantastic Four villains like Diablo and Dr. Doom before this.

And the worst part about it is this, if the Avengers stuck to Thor villains or Iron Man villains and such it'd be fine - because those are the Avengers. But when you have the Avengers fighting Sentinels and Larry Trask or them being the ones who rediscover Jean Grey, it really bears the question, wouldn't you rather read this stuff in an X-Men book?
    Yaaas so much truth
    GrindrStone(D)

If it had to be someone at least it’s a good, underused character with a lot of potential

I don't care. Marvel—and Aaron in particular—have destroyed the concept of the Phoenix for me. I always wanted it to be Jean's iconic look and power signature. Now I really couldn't care less about it. They took everything away from the concept that was interesting to me.

I hope someone will give Echo a good arc. So far, I'm skeptical anything interesting will come out of this new Phoenix interpretation.

The only thing that would have saved the concept would have been the reveal at the end of AvX that Hope Summers was Jean Grey all along and that would have been revealed when the Phoenix merged with hope to kickstart the mutant race again...
    Last edited by Exodus; 04-07-2021 at 10:19 PM.

I feel sick.

Extraordinary Member

It's bad.But it confirms to me that echo will be coming to the MCU.At this point Phoenix force is overused so much that I am indifferent to it.More mad at the Thor being phoenix's son.Can't wait for the awkward Jean/Logan/Thor/Cyclops.

Fantastic Member

Many here don't understand the concept of the Phoenix Force (except it being Jean's full potential as a PSI at first). The Phoenix Force is a Cosmic Being of Creation. Its the Cosmic side of the X-Men. Its concept is unique and many Cosmic stories can be pulled from it. If a write who understands Jean and the Phoenix we can see feats and stories like Here Comes Tomorrow or other cosmic stories like with Rachel in Excalibur.

Also the Phoenix Force can not be destroyed and 616 Phoenix Force is fragment of the whole thing... AVX was stupid enough with what it did with Hope and Wanda...

The one after Morisson that could Jean and the Phoenix the amazing stories at cosmic scale would be Al Ewing. Look what he is doing in SWORD. Hope Aaron's run overs so as to see Phoenix where it must be.
    Last edited by ThePhoenix; 04-08-2021 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    You forgot Firebird. While not psychic power, she does manifest a Firebird and is Native American.
    Once again Marvel writers overlook a more common sense option
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Its dumb to me, i feel like non x books should not touch the phoenix.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

The Avengers keep stealing ideas, members and more from the X-Men, they had stolen Rogue, Storm, Cannonball, Wolverine, Beast, Sunspot, Cable and Havok as members. They used multiple typical X-villains and now they steal Phoenix and gave the riole to Echo, really?

I guess you can sense I am not liking this. Heck, if they would have brought back Fongi, then I could have lived with it, as she carried the P-force with honor and combined it with the Iron Fist.

But no need to worry, Echo will not have it longer than a year, max. We know changes with Avengers rarely last long.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    The Avengers keep stealing ideas, members and more from the X-Men, they had stolen Rogue, Storm, Cannonball, Wolverine, Beast, Sunspot, Cable and Havok as members. They used multiple typical X-villains and now they steal Phoenix and gave the riole to Echo, really?

I guess you can sense I am not liking this. Heck, if they would have brought back Fongi, then I could have lived with it, as she carried the P-force with honor and combined it with the Iron Fist.

But no need to worry, Echo will not have it longer than a year, max. We know changes with Avengers rarely last long.
    For me it is not about ownership but about good storytelling. Unfortunately, Aaron gave up on the latter these days...and the Phoenix lore is suffering from it. it is very disappointing.

p.s.
    Rogue stole entire Carol Danvers from the Avengers. lol So I think it is only fair that she also gets stolen once in a while.

Spectacular Member

Not that I actually want this to happen, but if you WERE gonna try and tie Phoenix to the Avengers, Firebird is 1000% a better choice....before the Solo Avengers story where she was revealed to have been empowered by a failed alien experiment she was strongly hinted to be tied to the Phoenix Force - she got her powers when Jean died on the moon IIRC, she's functionally immortal for no apparent reason and she has a mystical element to her powers which could very easily be revealed as being based in psionics. She's also a devout Christian (and not the hatemongering kind you generally get when it comes to mutant stories) so there would be some legitimate arcs to explore with how she comes to terms with her Phoenix powers and her religious background.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Nobody at Marvel in 40 years has had a better idea about something cosmic to do than Claremont? Pathetic.
    I think the last one who did the Phoenix right was Alan Davis during his Excalibur run by giving Rachel some phoenix powers and removing the full set. But that was nearly 30 years ago.

One of the biggest mistakes was bringing it back and just having it as an engine of destruction. Should have taken a clue from Davis.
    The other one was that anyone could be a host.

I wonder how the Avengers will react to this Phoenix host, because with Hope they hunted her down even if she was not the host for most of AvX.
    But I am sure this is a totally different situation. We will just get the usual Aaron spin^^