Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

JJJ was mayor well before Trump got into the White House and his term as mayor ended with him resigning in utter disgrace with the debacle of Goblin Nation and the Superior Spider-Man. Also, Jonah, for all his considerable character flaws, has more of a functional conscience and sense of empathy, and the topic of him having unwittingly radicalized someone with his crusade against Spider-Man was tackled by Nick Spencer in the ASM arc, "Lifetime Achievement," which confronted Jonah with someone who felt betrayed enough by him endorsing and supporting Spider-Man after years of condemning him as a menace to go to considerable, criminal extremes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Yeah, I remember that stuff throughout his run. I thought it was kind of cringy there, but I wouldn't accuse Spencer as portraying said views or people who held them in a bad light.
    I think he was portraying them as taking it too far, for certain. I mean, going so far as to try to kill someone while they're speaking on campus . . . their viewpoints might deserve severe scrutiny or even condemnation, but the latter shouldn't come in the form of (attempted) murder.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think he was portraying them as taking it too far, for certain. I mean, going so far as to try to kill someone while they're speaking on campus . . . their viewpoints might deserve severe scrutiny or even condemnation, but the latter shouldn't come in the form of (attempted) murder.
    But most people speaking on campus don't get attacked

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    To defend Spencer a bit, I think at the time he was constantly getting in debates with leftist on twitter who felt that violence was always okay against those who expressed white nationalist views. So that may have been an attempt to show where their extreme views may eventually lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But most people speaking on campus don't get attacked
    Fiction is about situations that go bad. Crimes of all sorts occur more often in superhero comics than in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A valid point. Plus, I doubt Marvel wants to make Jonah a "villain" again given he and Spidey are finally on good terms.
    If they're mocking someone's ideas it's probably to do it with a supporting character rather than a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yeah, I agree with all his points:

1) Peterson is relatively mild. He says some weird things but he's not going to lead an army of followers to some sort of violent revolution. There are far more extreme alt-right figures.

2) Yes, I think there has been some history between Coates and Peterson leading up to this.

3) Yes, if he really wanted to satirize Peterson, he should have used a new character, someone more subtle. As it stands now, the comparison just comes off as a joke. I think there is something slightly insidious about Peterson in the way he mixes bad information with good... that could be satirized, but by using the Red Skull it comes off as too silly.
    Making someone who isn't an extremist a model for the Red Skull diminishes the work. It makes Marvel look crazy, and Coates look petty.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    To defend Spencer a bit, I think at the time he was constantly getting in debates with leftist on twitter who felt that violence was always okay against those who expressed white nationalist views. So that may have been an attempt to show where their extreme views may eventually lead.
    Nick Spencer was also willing to look at his own side, and to consider how views he agrees with can lead to bad outcomes.

I'm reminded of Orwell's decision to make Big Brother in 1984 a left-wing totalitarian state, because he wanted to focus on totalitarianism rather than left VS right.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 04-11-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

I get it's fiction but if a writer wants to deal with a real world issue, don't exaggerate it to prove a point. Automatic centrism isn't purely ideal either

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Fiction is about situations that go bad. Crimes of all sorts occur more often in superhero comics than in the real world.

If they're mocking someone's ideas it's probably to do it with a supporting character rather than a villain.

Making someone who isn't an extremist a model for the Red Skull diminishes the work. It makes Marvel look crazy, and Coates look petty.

Nick Spencer was also willing to look at his own side, and to consider how views he agrees with can lead to bad outcomes.

I'm reminded of Orwell's decision to make Big Brother in 1984 a left-wing totalitarian state, because he wanted to focus on totalitarianism rather than left VS right.
    I think a lot of people are missing the point here. It's not that Peterson is the model for Red Skull, it's that rhetoric like Peterson's is used by alt-right types to lead folks down that pipeline.

Invincible Member

I get it's fiction but if a writer wants to deal with a real world issue, don't exaggerate it to prove a point. Automatic centrism isn't purely ideal either
    Well, let's be reasonable...in all forms of fiction writers use exaggerations to get their point across sometimes.

BANNED

I chuckled a bit when I found out about this. Jordan Peterson isn't a bad person whether you agree with him or not so it's funny that the writer is making Red Skull talk like him. I don't know why they would make the leader of Nazis a conservative but since they did I think there could have been better options than the down to Earth and calm Peterson.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    I chuckled a bit when I found out about this. Jordan Peterson isn't a bad person whether you agree with him or not so it's funny that the writer is making Red Skull talk like him. I don't know why they would make the leader of Nazis a conservative but since they did I think there could have been better options than the down to Earth and calm Peterson.
    Peterson likes (or did) using phrases that the alt-right has adopted. "Cultural Marxism," "saving Western Civilization," etc...suggesting that colleges are a hot bed of communism ( despite him having collection of Soviet art), transgender people are somehow "forcing" themselves on society and what not.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-11-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, let's be reasonable...in all forms of fiction writers use exaggerations to get their point across sometimes.
    That's true, but sometimes the fiction isn't that far from the truth. Alt-right groups have attacked and continue to attack people. Look at the anti-Asian racism in North America during the pandemic. Meanwhile, nobody's attacking right wingers or separating them from their children. IMO there's no "both sides are equally bad", so exaggerating and then claiming it's commentary doesn't work for me. You can criticize extreme leftist cancel culture without making it something it's not

Peterson likes (or did) using phrases that the alt-right has adopted. "Cultural Marxism," "saving Western Civilization," etc...suggesting that colleges are a hot bed of communism ( despite him having collection of Soviet art), transgender people are somehow "forcing" themselves on society and what not.
    Exactly. He's not a Nazi but he is questionable

Fantastic Member

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. It's not that Peterson is the model for Red Skull, it's that rhetoric like Peterson's is used by alt-right types to lead folks down that pipeline.
    Just saw Peterson describing "Frozen" as feminist propaganda. I've been too charitable to the guy. He's nuts.

Ultimate Member

Is feminist propaganda even necessarily bad?

Also, is that West Coast Native American art behind him?

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Just saw Peterson describing "Frozen" as feminist propaganda. I've been too charitable to the guy. He's nuts.

Jeez, and here I always thought it was incest propaganda. I'm glad Mr. Peterson showed me the error of my ways with his brilliant video. I was blind but now I see.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Is feminist propaganda even necessarily bad?

Also, is that West Coast Native American art behind him?
    Er, I'm not a big fan of any type of propaganda as I feel people should think for themselves.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."