Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

He speaks very well and frankly I agree with some of the stuff he says about young men taking responsibility and getting their lives together. I think that's a message that needs to passed on because truthfully a lot of young men are somewhat neglected and are drifting because society just says "you're a man and you're strong" but there's so much more to it than that.

But his political points of view are a hard pass for me.
    IMO the thing with men taking responsibility is, in the old days, their gf/wife would handle all that, but now women don't put up with that as much anymore, so these old-fashioned men are losing out, but instead of reflecting on their own behavior, they lash out at feminism, and these YouTubers give them license to do so.

Aside from that, the idea of men being "tough all the time" is an old-fashioned notion feminism generally doesn't support, yet guys like Peterson fail to mention that

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    This seems like a blatant attempt to create controversy and drum up false interest in the book. Coates pulling unimaginative and unoriginal (wasn't this same stunt pulled with the Skull a few years ago?) pot shots at one of his personal ideological foes. No amount of controversy is going to fool anyone into believing Coates should be anywhere near comic books. At this point I'd rather read an issue of Cap written by Peterson than I would another one by Coates.
    wtf is this mindset...

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Also if Jordan Peterson is Alt-Right, I seem to have got the Alt-Right very wrong.
    For some people, alt-right is basically a catchphrase for any conservatives they don't like, when it's supposed to mean something specific (including a rejection of mainstream politics, an embrace of white nationalism, and support for harassment and provocation.

People who get their news from a bubble might not recognize the difference between various Republican/ conservative sub-groups. There can be a similar problem for people on the right, lumping together very different subsets of American progressives.

It can be difficult to keep track of these things, especially when the movements may change.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh, yeah, he'll make a lot of money from this and gain greater visibility which is another reason I'm not a fan of what Coates did (besides it being intellectually lazy). He honestly shouldn't give this guy attention by creating such an obvious parody.
    Peterson probably is bigger than Coates, so this is unlikely to elevate Peterson.

It's a cheap shot, as someone could just as easily put what Ta-Nehisi Coates has said (pessimism about things getting better, not viewing firefighters who died on 9/11 as human, etc.) in the mouth of a supervillain.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't call Peterson alt-right, but more of pseudo-intellectual appealing to angry white guys

Lightbulb

One of my friends has a Youtube Channel. He brings up an interesting point I had not considered about this controversy hint a recent new Batman character. -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I wouldn't call Peterson alt-right, but more of pseudo-intellectual appealing to angry white guys
    I think that's a perfect description.

I wouldn't describe Peterson as alt-right. But his views tend to appeal to a lot of alt-right guys. And Incels.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think that's a perfect description.

I wouldn't describe Peterson as alt-right. But his views tend to appeal to a lot of alt-right guys. And Incels.
    Yeah, and I think that's more what Coates is parodying

Fantastic Member

One of my friends has a Youtube Channel. He brings up an interesting point I had not considered about this controversy hint a recent new Batman character. -

Yeah, I agree with all his points:

1) Peterson is relatively mild. He says some weird things but he's not going to lead an army of followers to some sort of violent revolution. There are far more extreme alt-right figures.

2) Yes, I think there has been some history between Coates and Peterson leading up to this.

3) Yes, if he really wanted to satirize Peterson, he should have used a new character, someone more subtle. As it stands now, the comparison just comes off as a joke. I think there is something slightly insidious about Peterson in the way he mixes bad information with good... that could be satirized, but by using the Red Skull it comes off as too silly.

Another way would've been to use J.Jonah Jameson from Spiderman. He's a guy with alot of controversial views so someone in-universe getting radicalized because of his past articles is an interesting story to me. He's literally funded supervillians like Alistair Smythe before.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-11-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Another way would've been to use J.Jonah Jameson from Spiderman. He's a guy with alot of controversial views so someone in-universe getting radicalized because of his past articles is an interesting story to me. He's literally funded supervillians like Alistair Smythe before.
    Ah, that's a great idea. Jonah would indeed be a great fit for such a thing.

Fantastic Member

Ah, that's a great idea. Jonah would indeed be a great fit for such a thing.
    I don't know... Jonah comes off as too much of a braggart to fit Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    A valid point. Plus, I doubt Marvel wants to make Jonah a "villain" again given he and Spidey are finally on good terms.

Ultimate Member

Either they could've used a different character, or not make Red skull directly use those kinds of terms, if they wanted to avoid controversy

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    A valid point. Plus, I doubt Marvel wants to make Jonah a "villain" again given he and Spidey are finally on good terms.
    I'm not looking to satirize Peterson, I'm looking to explore radicalization. If Jameson accidentally radicalized someone with his past articles, that's more interesting to me. You could have same of his fans hate his new attitude about Spiderman. You could have him wrestle with his past actions more thoroughly.

I liked JJJ as mayor and thought it was a fun way to explore the Trump era without Trump being in the story directly.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that much is true, and I recall Nick Spencer actually trying this on the opposite side with the Bombshells (not the literally explosive mother-daughter duo from Ultimate Spider-Man), who were radical social activists that went outright terroristic over an anti-immigration speaker being allowed on-campus, with the Falcons (Sam Wilson/Captain America and Joaquin Torres) having to protect said speaker despite her views. After all, even if (you think) someone is a despicable bigot, that doesn't make it all right to (try to) kill them.
    Yeah, I remember that stuff throughout his run. I thought it was kind of cringy there, but I wouldn't accuse Spencer as portraying said views or people who held them in a bad light.