"You have to admire Hitler! […] Because he was an organizational genius!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    I can't understand how that's a good thing to say

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    Ha, shows what he knows. Himmler was the organizational genius whereas Hitler was the mouthpiece who could gin up the crowds, the face of the movement if you will. And this guy claims to be well-read.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-12-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In this case, the Red Skull is intentionally mimicking Peterson's content. It makes his normal rhetoric seem nefarious.
    Yeah, but we don't know if that was Coates' intent. Maybe Peterson was picked because he had a bunch of good ideas mixed with a few bad ones...

Part of the insidiousness of religion is how it mixes good ideas with bad. I don't know if that's intentional or not. In Peterson's case, I'm pretty sure it's not intentional. But maybe Coates is saying that some dangerous bad ideas can be hijacked amongst a bunch of good ideas. That might even make the bad ideas more destructive than if they were in isolation.

I basically think Peterson's a good guy with a few really bad ideas mixed with a lot of good ideas. And I think he presents his good ideas in good faith... but a nefarious person like the Red Skull could use them for evil purposes.

Like it or not Peterson's ideas are being used by the alt-right. That doesn't make them bad or wrong automatically, but it's worth looking at why this is happening.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yeah, but we don't know if that was Coates' intent. Maybe Peterson was picked because he had a bunch of good ideas mixed with a few bad ones...

Part of the insidiousness of religion is how it mixes good ideas with bad. I don't know if that's intentional or not. In Peterson's case, I'm pretty sure it's not intentional. But maybe Coates is saying that some dangerous bad ideas can be hijacked amongst a bunch of good ideas. That might even make the bad ideas more destructive than if they were in isolation.

I basically think Peterson's a good guy with a few really bad ideas mixed with a lot of good ideas. And I think he presents his good ideas in good faith... but a nefarious person like the Red Skull could use them for evil purposes.

Like it or not Peterson's ideas are being used by the alt-right. That doesn't make them bad or wrong automatically, but it's worth looking at why this is happening.
    I think it's possible Skull just saw how effective Peterson-type guys are at getting their message out to the core demographic and monetizing it. A bit of a step down for the leader of Hydra, but whatever works, right?

As for Peterson himself, I don't think he's a Nazi, but I don't think he's necessarily a good guy. At least he seems to promote some problematic beliefs and isn't always honest.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

As for Peterson himself, I don't think he's a Nazi, but I don't think he's necessarily a good guy. At least he seems to promote some problematic beliefs and isn't always honest.
    Yeah, maybe good guy is a stretch. His self-help stuff seems to have helped a lot of people though. I can't disparage that.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, maybe good guy is a stretch. His self-help stuff seems to have helped a lot of people though. I can't disparage that.
    I think it's possible for his self-help advice to actually be useful, while the rest isn't. I personally don't know his self help advice so I'll take your word for it

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Yeah, but we don't know if that was Coates' intent.
    It seems like people have completely forgotten authorial intent these days

Ultimate Member

I think it's possible Skull just saw how effective Peterson-type guys are at getting their message out to the core demographic and monetizing it. A bit of a step down for the leader of Hydra, but whatever works, right?

Right. And it'd actually be the opposite of a step down...Jordan is worth millions of dollars and gets in invited to TV shows and all kinds of speaking engagements. Richard Spencer before his 15 minutes were up, seemed to be on a similar trajectory.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    It seems like people have completely forgotten authorial intent these days
    Homie straight up wrote the story and had the artist insert references to Peterson to drive it home but yeah it wasn't Coates' intent. Oh boy.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Homie straight up wrote the story and had the artist insert references to Peterson to drive it home but yeah it wasn't Coates' intent. Oh boy.
    It was Coates' intent to reference in Peterson. I wasn't doubting that. I was responding to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In this case, the Red Skull is intentionally mimicking Peterson's content. It makes his normal rhetoric seem nefarious.
    "It makes his normal rhetoric seem nefarious".

This is the part I was saying wasn't necessarily Coates' intent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Right. And it'd actually be the opposite of a step down...Jordan is worth millions of dollars and gets in invited to TV shows and all kinds of speaking engagements. Richard Spencer before his 15 minutes were up, seemed to be on a similar trajectory.
    Ah yeah, I remember Richard Spencer, sadly. Apparently the mainstream media seemed impressed how a neo-Nazi could look "well dressed". The media almost coddling this guy for a moment ticked me off. Coates could've mocked him, if he was still relevant

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ah yeah, I remember Richard Spencer, sadly. Apparently the mainstream media seemed impressed how a neo-Nazi could look "well dressed". The media almost coddling this guy for a moment ticked me off. Coates could've mocked him, if he was still relevant
    Yeah, Richard Spencer was an unfortunate case study in the white supremacist movement proverbially whitewashing itself into the mainstream of American political ideology, i.e. "alt-right," at least until the real violence of his philosophy and ideas became a little too apparent for the comfort of the same mainstream media that was once so impressed and dazzled by how "well-spoken" and "well-groomed" he was . . . which was also somewhat instructive, in an unfortunate way as well. Give the media a shiny object, they'll chase it all over.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, Richard Spencer was an unfortunate case study in the white supremacist movement proverbially whitewashing itself into the mainstream of American political ideology, i.e. "alt-right," at least until the real violence of his philosophy and ideas became a little too apparent for the comfort of the same mainstream media that was once so impressed and dazzled by how "well-spoken" and "well-groomed" he was . . . which was also somewhat instructive, in an unfortunate way as well. Give the media a shiny object, they'll chase it all over.
    Viewpoints like his show "both sides" isn't always the right take. The media fell over itself about the plight of the oppressed White men as the reason Trump one while forgetting all the other already marginalized groups still dealing with the same or worse problems

Viewpoints like his show "both sides" isn't always the right take. The media fell over itself about the plight of the oppressed White men as the reason Trump one while forgetting all the other already marginalized groups still dealing with the same or worse problems
    facts on that one