Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Sure. I would refer to someone by their desired pronouns because they asked me to and I don't want to upset people. I don't like the idea of people only being polite because the law has forced them to. That's just building up trouble. How can you get the measure of someone if they only say what the law enforces on them, not what they really think?
    Exactly, in such a system a lot of people will only be polite out of fear not because they truly want to be nice. Such a system will only cause hatred to fester and grow because people will resent those they feel are forcing their views on others, rightly or wrongly. Do I think people should be rude or overtly racist, hell no. But, I also think each person has the right to decide how they wish to behave.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post
    I mean maybe thats true, but Captain America hasnt really sought to represent the whole country for a very long time.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It is based upon the whole idea that one hundred guilty persons going free is better than one not guilty person being wrongly executed for murder. It is best to be cautious in such cases because there have been horrendous modern societies in which free speech has not existed such as the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, North Korea, so on and so forth.

I don't understand your second point. So, you think saying free speech shouldn't be absolute is free speech? Well, you can say that. Your statement is what you believe. See, you shouldn't care if what you say offends anyone. I don't care if I'm offending anyone right now. That's the great thing about freedom everyone is free to decide what is important to them or offensive or not offensive.
    I do care if what I say offends people. My second point is the free speech warriors often get offended at others' criticisms. Probably a lot of them only say offensive things towards other groups because they're offended by those groups exercising their rights.

What I'm trying to say it there is no Nazi Germany waiting around the corner. Every time some new development happens over the last decade, some online chatter always worries about "free speech is dead" but it never actually happens

He did fight a stand in for Nixon but he actually fought Ronald Reagan.
    I'll have to look that up.

Was it another thinly veiled stand-in or was it actually Reagan?

Spectacular Member

I'll have to look that up.

Was it another thinly veiled stand-in or was it actually Reagan?
    Actual Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok

I do care if what I say offends people. My second point is the free speech warriors often get offended at others' criticisms. Probably a lot of them only say offensive things towards other groups because they're offended by those groups exercising their rights.

What I'm trying to say it there is no Nazi Germany waiting around the corner. Every time some new development happens over the last decade, some online chatter always worries about "free speech is dead" but it never actually happens
    If you say so.

How do you know that? None of us can see the future. Cancel Culture and certain laws being passed are a worrying trend, IMO. I'd rather air on the side of caution. I value freedom too much to ever give it up. I'm not ashamed to say I'd gladly die for freedom.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Actual Reagan.
    I'll have to find this comic. It sounds like a hoot.

Edit - I've always found the messianic-level hero-worship of Reagan in certain circles very amusing -

Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Ultimate Member

If you say so.

How do you know that? None of us can see the future. Cancel Culture and certain laws being passed are a worrying trend, IMO. I'd rather air on the side of caution. I value freedom too much to ever give it up.
    Cancel culture is free speech as legally defined. If someone else criticizes a person, or doesn't want to host them on any platform, that's free speech too

And do you think any of these intentionally offensive people actually want to listen to anyone else's free speech? Especially demographics whose free expression has been ignored or suppressed for so long?

Cancel culture is free speech as legally defined. If someone else criticizes a person, or doesn't want to host them on any platform, that's free speech too

And do you think any of these intentionally offensive people actually want to listen to anyone else's free speech? Especially demographics whose free expression has been ignored or suppressed for so long?
    Cancel Culture is nothing more than a modern witch hunt. Did some people they canceled "deserve" it, sure. But, when it gets to the point they are digging up old Internet posts from fifteen or twenty years ago when somebody was a kid in many cases they've lost all legitimacy. It is a ridiculous purity test.

I don't think you understand my argument. This isn't about who respects who this is about freedom to say whatever you or anyone else wants.

Spectacular Member

I'll have to find this comic. It sounds like a hoot.

Edit - I've always found the messianic-level hero-worship of Reagan in certain circles very amusing -

Agreed just like people (including Cpt. America in comic) idolize a President that sold military grade weapons to cartels, created a massive humanitarian crisis in Libya and stood by while Russia invaded its neighbor.

True, although now the platforms that no longer host a person/viewpoint are generally the only ones available. Cancel culture has also turned into McCarthyism with certain people saying things out of place who are hounded out of their jobs (unless they're rich and powerful and have written Harry Potter). You may say it's all for a good cause, but how long before it's not?

Oh, and Mik I'll let one of my heroes who some recently tried to cancel but failed (as moronic as that farce was) speak for me here. Maybe he can get the point across better than I. He is a far more eloquent speaker than I'll ever be. -

Oh, and Mik I'll let one of my heroes who some recently tried to cancel but failed (as moronic as that farce was) speak for me here. Maybe he can get the point across better than I. He is a far more eloquent speaker than I'll ever be. -

Excellent. I'm surprised the Guardian allowed it.

Agreed just like people (including Cpt. America in comic) idolize a President that sold military grade weapons to cartels, created a massive humanitarian crisis in Libya and stood by while Russia invaded its neighbor.
    No one is perfect. I think there wasn't much more than could be done about the last point, in all fairness. The risk of a nuclear exchange was too high as the Russians made it abundantly clear Ukraine was one of their red lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Excellent. I'm surprised the Guardian allowed it.
    Agreed , The clip is on other pages but this was the first that came up when I searched for it a few minutes about.

Ultimate Member

Cancel Culture is nothing more than a modern witch hunt. Did some people they canceled "deserve" it, sure. But, when it gets to the point they are digging up old Internet posts from fifteen or twenty years ago when somebody was a kid in many cases they've lost all legitimacy. It is a ridiculous purity test.

I don't think you understand my argument. This isn't about who respects who this is about freedom to say whatever you or anyone else wants.

I understand what Obama is saying. Digging up old tweets to call someone out doesn't always work. I think generally people should be allowed to change. But they should also be able to take criticism.

But, I still don't think you're getting my point. A lot of people complaining about cancel culture are the professional victims and snowflakes they call everyone else. Who's being locked up by the government? And when was this mythical era of free speech? When people were getting lynched, ostracized, blacklisted, segregated or deported?

A lot of these online free speech warriors don't seem to be interested in actual discussion, so much as saying what they want. Yes, many in my and younger generations do overreact. I don't like that either. But these "I can offend whomever I want" don't seem to get that a lot of these people who are "offended" are speaking out because their feelings and free speech hasn't been heard for most of history. Some old-fashioned person makes some insensitive remark about an oppressed or misrepresented demographic, who then calls them out on it. That person should actually think about why their words hurt someone. And they should try to listen to others' free speech.