Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Yeah, Coates only helped the guy..

Because they’re hypocrites. The loudest voices complaining about this so-called “cancel culture” are the first to try to cancel anything or anyone that displeases them. The whole “cancel culture” fraud, much like the war on Christmas and all the alt-right outrages, is just because it used to be only straight white Christian power brokers who decided what we could say, watch, hear, and play. Now, regular people have a small amount of freedom to use their voices and it pisses them off.
    True. I don't think it is a left or right issue but a everyone issue.

Some of the people that rage about SJW and Cancel Culture also carry out the exact same behavior. The whole recent Lil Nas X situation is an example of that.

Ultimate Member

I think any kind of cancel culture can and does become toxic. But I also think some groups have more legitimate complaints than others.

Idk if Coates was right to do this. However, alt-right is recruiting through YouTube, so Red skull making the transition to that style kinda makes sense. Idk if Peterson is the right person to parody in that case

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Exaggerating political points of views to fit a super villain is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think any kind of cancel culture can and does become toxic. But I also think some groups have more legitimate complaints than others.

Idk if Coates was right to do this. However, alt-right is recruiting through YouTube, so Red skull making the transition to that style kinda makes sense. Idk if Peterson is the right person to parody in that case
    I'd have used Mr. Metokur instead for my Red Skull template the guy is freakin' insane and downright scary. Although, in all honesty, Metokur would make a far better Joker Youtube analog than a Red Skull one.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Exaggerating political points of views to fit a super villain is nothing new.
    Yeah, that much is true, and I recall Nick Spencer actually trying this on the opposite side with the Bombshells (not the literally explosive mother-daughter duo from Ultimate Spider-Man), who were radical social activists that went outright terroristic over an anti-immigration speaker being allowed on-campus, with the Falcons (Sam Wilson/Captain America and Joaquin Torres) having to protect said speaker despite her views. After all, even if (you think) someone is a despicable bigot, that doesn't make it all right to (try to) kill them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

The problem sometimes is exaggerating a viewpoint to unrealistic villainy which reinforces the status quo. Attacking an anti-immigrant hate preacher is absolutely wrong. But it happens so little it's not a real threat, and just makes that side look evil fir the sake of telling a story.

Astonishing Member

All this talk about cancel culture reminds me of freedom fries. That's the first time I realize how crazy one of America's two main political parties are.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    All this talk about cancel culture reminds me of freedom fries. That's the first time I realize how crazy one of America's two main political parties are.
    Partisan politics and money in politics are rhe problem in general. And freedom fries was the biggest nonsense ever. The War on Terror took away freedoms

This seems like a blatant attempt to create controversy and drum up false interest in the book. Coates pulling unimaginative and unoriginal (wasn't this same stunt pulled with the Skull a few years ago?) pot shots at one of his personal ideological foes. No amount of controversy is going to fool anyone into believing Coates should be anywhere near comic books. At this point I'd rather read an issue of Cap written by Peterson than I would another one by Coates.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    True. I don't think it is a left or right issue but a everyone issue.

Some of the people that rage about SJW and Cancel Culture also carry out the exact same behavior. The whole recent Lil Nas X situation is an example of that.
    Quoted in agreement.

As we speak, people are literally saying that "Montero" shouldn't exist. In fact Lil Nas X got into it on Twitter with some of these guys.

It's just hypocrisy at its finest.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    This seems like a blatant attempt to create controversy and drum up false interest in the book. Coates pulling unimaginative and unoriginal (wasn't this same stunt pulled with the Skull a few years ago?) pot shots at one of his personal ideological foes. No amount of controversy is going to fool anyone into believing Coates should be anywhere near comic books. At this point I'd rather read an issue of Cap written by Peterson than I would another one by Coates.
    It would probably be less controversial if Coates didn't directly reference Peterson. Of course, outside of Peterson's fans and alt-right YouTubers, idk who else actually cares

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    His argument was a misrepresentation.

https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-j...-c-16-correct/

That's why he got so much flack. He can make his argument without lying about stuff.

Using the wrong pronouns persistently under that law won't send you to jail as Peterson claimed. That was a lie.

Not to mention his dumb statements on climate change and he's absolutely a political commentator.
    Ok. I hear you.

I didn't know about his climate change talks till I checked them out on youtube now. Yeah, those are pretty loony. He keeps saying the climate scientists are driven by a political bias against capitalism... makes zero sense to me... where's he getting this. As far as I see, the scientists agree on the dangers of climate change and they're just driven by doing science.

Peterson is very fast-talking, charismatic... plays fast and loose with vocabulary. There's a cult of personality there that is disturbing.

Ultimate Member

Is he still a climate skeptic? Because to be that in 2021 is lunacy.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is he still a climate skeptic? Because to be that in 2021 is lunacy.

This video's from 2 years ago:

What bothers me is that he is conflating two things... and that's what strikes me as deceptive, and part of his fast-talking schtick. 1) He gives the impression the science of climate change is really sketchy and that scientists are driven by politics. 2) He says that the solutions to man-made climate change are difficult/impossible to implement.

I don't mind him saying 2). We could discuss/debate that. Human behavior is difficult to change... solutions are hard to implement.

But 1) strikes me as ridiculous. He's basically saying the climate scientists might be lying or doing bad science to promote a political agenda.

Also, he calls Bjorn Lomborg a genius. But Bjorn Lomborg completely accepts man-made climate change. He's only debating what solutions are practical/implementable etc.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Ok. I hear you.

I didn't know about his climate change talks till I checked them out on youtube now. Yeah, those are pretty loony. He keeps saying the climate scientists are driven by a political bias against capitalism... makes zero sense to me... where's he getting this. As far as I see, the scientists agree on the dangers of climate change and they're just driven by doing science.

Peterson is very fast-talking, charismatic... plays fast and loose with vocabulary. There's a cult of personality there that is disturbing.
    Exactly.

He speaks very well and frankly I agree with some of the stuff he says about young men taking responsibility and getting their lives together. I think that's a message that needs to passed on because truthfully a lot of young men are somewhat neglected and are drifting because society just says "you're a man and you're strong" but there's so much more to it than that.

But his political points of view are a hard pass for me.