Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Mik, I have nothing more to say. I've (more than) made my point. I see no need to further derail this thread.

Edit - And for the record, I love the Boondocks. That show was beyond epic.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Mik, I have nothing more to say. I've (more than) made my point. I see no need to further derail this thread.

Edit - And for the record, I love the Boondocks. That show was beyond epic.
    Fine. We'll agree to disagree

Mighty Member

Oh, yeah...the time Reagan became a lizardman. Was there an outcry about it? I don't recall any. That was before the internet became widely available, though.

I'm not sure why people are surprised. Captain America was created to express a real-world political opinion- pre-Pearl Harbor interventionism- and has reflected the culture in every major run ever since. Be it making Nixon a super terrorist leader in Englehart's run or the dozens of topics of the month Gruenwald ran through, it's just part of the character. With online radicalization being a hot button issue, it's inevitable that it would be confronted in Captain America. It's not even the first time- Remender's Uncanny Avengers tackled similar ground as did Spencer's Cap.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I'm not sure why people are surprised. Captain America was created to express a real-world political opinion- pre-Pearl Harbor interventionism- and has reflected the culture in every major run ever since. Be it making Nixon a super terrorist leader in Englehart's run or the dozens of topics of the month Gruenwald ran through, it's just part of the character. With online radicalization being a hot button issue, it's inevitable that it would be confronted in Captain America. It's not even the first time- Remender's Uncanny Avengers tackled similar ground as did Spencer's Cap.
    Idk. Apparently he's supposed to Captain Murica!

Jordan Peterson responds -

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Yeah, but it includes 'repeated use of wrong pronouns' as a form of discrimination or harassment.
    Harassment is the key word here. If you say out loud, "I think Caitlyn Jenner is really a man in a dress and he should admit it," you're not going to get fined or go to jail. If you and Caitlyn work at the same job or you rent her an apt and deliberately call her he/him in order to bully her, then you could be in trouble. Just like if you call your Jewish co-worker "yid" to his face everyday.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-09-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Invincible Member

Jordan Peterson responds -

It's interesting how he obfuscates, "I just tell people to clean their rooms!" Dude, you know you've said and done things way more controversial than that. At least he's not whining about it the way some of his followers are. He's got his head up and he's figuring out how to grift on it.

Ultimate Member

So why are these guys "allowed" to be offended but if anyone else is, that's "Cancel culture"? I'm not necessarily defending Coates directly parodying Peterson using Red skull, but isn't that just the precious free speech they're supposed to defend?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's interesting how he obfuscates, "I just tell people to clean their rooms!" Dude, you know you've said and done things way more controversial than that. At least he's not whining about it the way some of his followers are. He's got his head up and he's figuring out how to grift on it.
    Oh, yeah, he'll make a lot of money from this and gain greater visibility which is another reason I'm not a fan of what Coates did (besides it being intellectually lazy). He honestly shouldn't give this guy attention by creating such an obvious parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So why are these guys "allowed" to be offended but if anyone else is, that's "Cancel culture"? I'm not necessarily defending Coates directly parodying Peterson using Red skull, but isn't that just the precious free speech they're supposed to defend?
    Are you talking to me? I have a feeling you are. Okay, I'll take one final stab at this -

Anyone is "allowed" to get offended about anything as far as I'm concerned. What I'm not a fan of is de-platforming or giving people the "digital death sentence" unless they are overtly violent rather than simply hurting people's feelings or offending sensibilities. For example, I approved of Alex Jones' de-platforming because he did cause harm to the Sandy Hook victims' families and President Trump's because, well, we all know what he did and could have kept doing. Once again, I don't agree with what certain people say but I think they (and everyone else) should have the right to say it. You have the right to be wrong, in essence. I'll call bad actors out by ridiculing them but I'll never agree with anyone being silenced for their views no matter how reprensibile I find those views to be.

Ultimate Member

Are you talking to me? I have a feeling you are. Okay, I'll take one final stab at this -

Anyone is "allowed" to get offended about anything as far as I'm concerned. What I'm not a fan of is de-platforming or giving people the "digital death sentence" unless they are overtly violent rather than simply hurting people's feelings or offending sensibilities. For example, I approved of Alex Jones' de-platforming because he did cause harm to the Sandy Hook victims' families and President Trump's because, well, we all know what he did and could have kept doing. Once again, I don't agree with what certain people say but I think they (and everyone else) should have the right to say it. You have the right to be wrong, in essence. I'll call bad actors out by ridiculing them but I'll never agree with anyone being silenced for their views no matter how reprensibile I find those views to be.
    Sorry. I didn't mean it to sound like that. I meant guys like Peterson and his fans

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Oh, yeah, he'll make a lot of money from this and gain greater visibility which is another reason I'm not a fan of what Coates did (besides it being intellectually lazy). He honestly shouldn't give this guy attention by creating such an obvious parody.
    Yeah, Coates only helped the guy..

Because they’re hypocrites. The loudest voices complaining about this so-called “cancel culture” are the first to try to cancel anything or anyone that displeases them. The whole “cancel culture” fraud, much like the war on Christmas and all the alt-right outrages, is just because it used to be only straight white Christian power brokers who decided what we could say, watch, hear, and play. Now, regular people have a small amount of freedom to use their voices and it pisses them off.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Because they’re hypocrites. The loudest voices complaining about this so-called “cancel culture” are the first to try to cancel anything or anyone that displeases them. The whole “cancel culture” fraud, much like the war on Christmas and all the alt-right outrages, is just because it used to be only straight white Christian power brokers who decided what we could say, watch, hear, and play. Now, regular people have a small amount of freedom to use their voices and it pisses them off.
    This is what I'm talking about

Sorry. I didn't mean it to sound like that. I meant guys like Peterson and his fans
    Ah, okay, still, I felt a more precise explanation of my position was called for.