Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ah, okay, still, I felt a more precise explanation of my position was called for.
    No problem. I don't think anyone here is problematic or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    ....Because they’re hypocrites. The loudest voices complaining about this so-called “cancel culture” are the first to try to cancel anything or anyone that displeases them. The whole “cancel culture” fraud, much like the war on Christmas and all the alt-right outrages, is just because it used to be only straight white Christian power brokers who decided what we could say, watch, hear, and play. Now, regular people have a small amount of freedom to use their voices and it pisses them off.
    I think you're wrong about it not being real. The clowns on Twitter were trying to "Cancel" President Obama a few days ago, and yes they used the word "cancel" multiple times because he offended them due to him not being woke enough. It was hilarious watching it unfold and failing.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

I think you're wrong about it not being real. The clowns on Twitter were trying to "Cancel" President Obama a few days ago, and yes they used the word "cancel" multiple times because he offended them due to him not being woke enough. It was hilarious watching it unfold and failing.
    I didn't know it got that far.

But do most of these Twitter campaigns lead to anything? Is anyone actually cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I didn't know it got that far.

But do most of these Twitter campaigns lead to anything? Is anyone actually cancelled?
    Sometimes, if they can dig up enough fossilized dirt they do get people canceled. They also tried unsuccessfully to "Cancel" Ellen several years back which was also hilarious. I think I would have respect for this practice if they didn't go after people who are objectively good people. They should stick to the truly rotten if they want to be taken seriously not Obama, Ellen, or someone who cracked a few offensive jokes twenty years ago.

Edit - Anyhow, this thread is getting off track again so we should move on.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-09-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Ultimate Member

Sometimes, if they can dig up enough fossilized dirt they do get people canceled. They also tried unsuccessfully to "Cancel" Ellen several years back which was also hilarious. I think I would have respect for this practice if they didn't go after people who are objectively good people. They should stick to the truly rotten if they want to be taken seriously not Obama, Ellen, or someone who cracked a few offensive jokes twenty years ago.

Edit - Anyhow, this thread is getting off track again so we should move on.
    Ok. Back to topic

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    He was arguing against laws that compel speech. It's a very straightforward free speech argument. We do have laws cropping up (in USA and Canada) that make using the wrong pronoun an illegal matter, which at least seems to violate free speech. Peterson has said he would call people by their preferred pronouns if they asked him to. So he isn't against trans pronouns except as a legal matter.
    His argument was a misrepresentation.

https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-j...-c-16-correct/

That's why he got so much flack. He can make his argument without lying about stuff.

Using the wrong pronouns persistently under that law won't send you to jail as Peterson claimed. That was a lie.

Not to mention his dumb statements on climate change and he's absolutely a political commentator.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-10-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

Digging up old tweets to get people into trouble to get them to lose gigs is nonsense. But it still doesn't give people the license to say nonsense.

If you want to avoid consequences for talking nonsense, then shut the F..k up!. Social media has given people the idea that they can throw out any dumb idea and people won't react to it.

Free speech works both ways, you can say whatever you want and people will respond to you in whatever way they want. Simple.

It's really not hard to keep quiet and keep one's views to themselves. That's the easiest way to avoid the "woke" mob.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-10-2021 at 03:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    His argument was a misrepresentation.

https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-j...-c-16-correct/

That's why he got so much flack. He can make his argument without lying about stuff.

Using the wrong pronouns persistently under that law won't send you to jail as Peterson claimed. That was a lie.

Not to mention his dumb statements on climate change and he's absolutely a political commentator.
    So he's a professional victim. this is what I mean about all these anti-SJWs claiming the sky is falling every other month

Ultimate Member

So he's a professional victim. this is what I mean about all these anti-SJWs claiming the sky is falling every other month
    It's a modern day political phenomenon.

When you don't agree with a POV, simply start playing the victim.

The funny thing, it was conservatives labelling people as "snowflakes" some years ago.

Ultimate Member

It's a modern day political phenomenon.

When you don't agree with a POV, simply start playing the victim.

The funny thing, it was conservatives labelling people as "snowflakes" some years ago.
    Conservatives did that to minorities who had actual grievances against how society was and is being run. No one is oppressing conservatives

Ultimate Member

Conservatives did that to minorities who had actual grievances against how society was and is being run. No one is oppressing conservatives
    Absolutely.

And they're still doing it because they are dismissing all discussions of societal ills under the umbrella of "wokeness".

I mean, a large of the country tried to cancel Colin Kapernick for protesting against police brutality. They cancelled the Dixie Chicks for attacking Bush during the Iraq War completely ruining their careers, they ruined Janet Jackson's career for Justin Timberlake pulling her bra down during the Superbowl (its funny how the straight white male in that situation completely escaped any consequences until relatively recently), Kathy Griffin was cancelled for carrying a severed head of Trump. Kathy Griffin and Colin Kapernick don't have freedom of speech? Remember how they came after Cardi B for "WAP"..LOL..she doesn't have freedom of expression? Notice how NONE of these guys are straight white men. Cancel culture only recently caught up with prominent white guys and they can't handle it.

That's why people are competely dismissing the whole "cancel culture" thing. The guys crying about cancel culture only care when it affects one of their own. Donald Trump is trying very hard to get people cancelled as we speak. It's total hypocrisy.

Ultimate Member

Absolutely.

And they're still doing it because they are dismissing all discussions of societal ills under the umbrella of "wokeness".

I mean, a large of the country tried to cancel Colin Kapernick for protesting against police brutality. They cancelled the Dixie Chicks for attacking Bush during the Iraq War completely ruining their careers, they ruined Janet Jackson's career for Justin Timberlake pulling her bra down during the Superbowl (its funny how the straight white male in that situation completely escaped any consequences until relatively recently), Kathy Griffin was cancelled for carrying a severed head of Trump. Kathy Griffin and Colin Kapernick don't have freedom of speech? Remember how they came after Cardi B for "WAP"..LOL..she doesn't have freedom of expression? Notice how NONE of these guys are straight white men. Cancel culture only recently caught up with prominent white guys and they can't handle it.

That's why people are competely dismissing the whole "cancel culture" thing. The guys crying about cancel culture only care when it affects one of their own. Donald Trump is trying very hard to get people cancelled as we speak. It's total hypocrisy.
    Right. And there's never been a moment in history when they weren't trying to do that. I'd argue it's because we're freer in some ways nowadays that people can voice their opposition to these people, even if that does get out of hand from time to time

Absolutely.

I was against what happened to all the people you've listed. And, yes, these were early examples of "Cancel Culture" in action. The term is only a label for a despicable social practice that has existed for a long, long, long time once it was once called "witch-hunting" after that "communist hunting". It is wrong and often catches innocent people in its wide net alongside the "guilty".

Here is a clip from one of my favorite comedic witch trails (alongside the one from Monty Python) for a bit of levity but bitting levity that shows how these things can spiral out of control -

"Carrots don't grow on trees."

"How did you get to know so much about, carrots, eh? Witch!"

Last edited by Celgress; 04-10-2021 at 01:09 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Yeah, Coates only helped the guy..
    That's the best part.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That's the best part.
    It is unintentionally hilarious when you think about it.