Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What's even funnier about this situation is that people are trying to go after Coates but he deleted his Twitter years ago.

The guy had over a million twitter followers but deleted it when he was feuding with Cornel West.
    What happened there?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Vaush got caught in 4K being against the age of consent so you should've picked a better video.
    I don't understand what this means.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The book at 5:20 should be Steve Rogers: Captain America by Nick Spencer.
    Thanks.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    What happened there?
    You might have head of Cornel West...he's another black intellectual.

He and Coates had some severe intellectual disagreement about issues in the African-American community (it's a long, complicated story).

Long story short, Coates just got tired of the twitter drama and just left. I really respect him for that...twitter spats tend to get very toxic and I personally very rarely post on Twitter.

Ultimate Member

You might have head of Cornel West...he's another black intellectual.

He and Coates had some severe intellectual disagreement about issues in the African-American community (it's a long, complicated story).

Long story short, Coates just got tired of the twitter drama and just left. I really respect him for that...twitter spats tend to get very toxic and I personally very rarely post on Twitter.
    Oh, I've seen a view videos of West, but I didn't know they had a feud. Thanks

Ultimate Member

I don't understand what this means.
    I think they are referring to Vaush's entering some controversy a while ago when he said the age of consent should be adjusted.

He himself admitted he made a poorly worded argument and later clarified his position.He has subsequently said that the age of consent should raised and not lowered.

Given the fact that he clarified his position, I'm not sure why it was even brought up here in the first place.

Fantastic Member

I think they are referring to Vaush's entering some controversy a while ago when he said the age of consent should be adjusted.

He himself admitted he made a poorly worded argument and later clarified his position.He has subsequently said that the age of consent should raised and not lowered.

Given the fact that he clarified his position, I'm not sure why it was even brought up here in the first place.
    Ok. Thanks. I don't know anything about Vaush except for this JP video.

Fantastic Member

So I just read:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/..._rogers_2016_1

The portrayal of Red Skull there seems very much in line with this latest Cpt. America. Portraying Red Skull as trying to recruit the youth of USA... claiming Western civilization and values are under attack. I can kind of see why Jordan Peterson was used. I wouldn't be surprised if Red Skull mentioned "cultural marxism" or "postmodernism" in a later issue. Alt-right and Peterson both keep on talking about the dangers of cultural marxism.

As described in Vaush's video and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur...spiracy_theory

There is some historical precedent to the opposition of Nazis and "cultural marxism"...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    So I just read:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/..._rogers_2016_1

The portrayal of Red Skull there seems very much in line with this latest Cpt. America. Portraying Red Skull as trying to recruit the youth of USA... claiming Western civilization and values are under attack. I can kind of see why Jordan Peterson was used. I wouldn't be surprised if Red Skull mentioned "cultural marxism" or "postmodernism" in a later issue. Alt-right and Peterson both keep on talking about the dangers of cultural marxism.

As described in Vaush's video and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur...spiracy_theory

There is some historical precedent to the opposition of Nazis and "cultural marxism"...
    That's the thing as much as we, (Black Panther fans) give Coates shit, the man is very, very well read.

He's written a metric ton of essays on racism and white supremacy, so he can pretty much see through a lot of Peterson's talking points.

As Vaush pointed out, the whole "cultural marxism" thing isn't something new. It's something (like the alt-right itself) of a re-purposing of old discussions particularly the anti-semitic ones. This is becoming very common and now mainstream. For example, people watching Tucker Carlson might just think that "he's some very conservative person" but there's far, far more to it than that. Carlson is literally talking about the "Great Replacement". This is pretty much an extreme ideology that Neo-Nazis have co-opted (which was the Red Skull was talking about in the Captain America issue that Vaush showed).

Neo-nazis and ex-KKK members are re-packaging themselves and are moving into the mainstream. That's the greater point of Coates Red Skull, a lot of young people are being radicalised by a lot of this garbage because on the face of it, it looks harmless. It's only if one takes the time to really look into stuff that you will find out how insidious it is.

BANNED

I've been thinking, Peterson does talk about marxism but it's not his main thing which is why I'm surprised about this. When I listened to him he was almost always talking about how there isn't a big sexism problem in the US as all his big videos are about debunking feminist and gender equality narrative lies. I wouldn't have been flabbergasted if they made a Captain Marvel villain inspired from him but Red Skull is a stretch.

Fantastic Member

That's the thing as much as we, (Black Panther fans) give Coates shit, the man is very, very well read.
    And he is building on something Nick Spencer already started. So this isn't something he's just pulling out of the blue.

Just another writer with an ego projecting their personal bogeyman onto a character—uncharacteristic to that character, no less—in a fictional world where that type of rhetoric doesn't make any sense. Just point and laugh, and move along.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 04-12-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think a lot of people are missing the point here. It's not that Peterson is the model for Red Skull, it's that rhetoric like Peterson's is used by alt-right types to lead folks down that pipeline.
    In this case, the Red Skull is intentionally mimicking Peterson's content. It makes his normal rhetoric seem nefarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Peterson likes (or did) using phrases that the alt-right has adopted. "Cultural Marxism," "saving Western Civilization," etc...suggesting that colleges are a hot bed of communism ( despite him having collection of Soviet art), transgender people are somehow "forcing" themselves on society and what not.
    Generally speaking, the conservatives who don't like marxist activists are not limited to the alt-right.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/n...n-it-isnt-real

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Just saw Peterson describing "Frozen" as feminist propaganda. I've been too charitable to the guy. He's nuts.

I doubt most commentators will succeed if all are defined by the worst takes.

It was brought up here because it's an ad hominem.

If someone holds controversial views on one topic and/ or expressed these inarticulately, everything he has to say is suspect, as is anyone who quotes him. That seems to be the argument.

It's much easier to go after the person than to engage in an argument.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In this case, the Red Skull is intentionally mimicking Peterson's content. It makes his normal rhetoric seem nefarious.
    Literal alt-right and neo-nazi's have used such rhetoric to recruit people. There have been ex-members who have stated this is how they fell into these movements.

Generally speaking, the conservatives who don't like marxist activists are not limited to the alt-right.
    True but criticizing Marxist thought isn't the issue. It's using buzzwords that attract extremists.

I doubt most commentators will succeed if all are defined by the worst takes.
    Eh...I'd say lots of commentators are defined by their bad takes and still manage to be quite successful.

Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Peterson has praised Hitler.

He deserves this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kara Danvers View Post
    Peterson has praised Hitler.

He deserves this.
    Really? What exactly did he say?